BFG Pits Exposed, Ladies Racing and More - Full Articles on Homepage

Charlene

Reaction
Today we officially kicked off our first day of the 50th Baja 1000! Thanks to the whole group at RDC they have allowed me the opportunity to share our adventures with you...on the homepage!! (So cool! Thank you)

We have multiple storylines that we are following, so here is what I am up to...

1. BFGoodrich Tires Pits - Do you know what it takes to make this work? Holy Cow! We are going to expose the pits and all the efforts that go into helping over 150 teams race this week.

2. Ladies Racing - As part of my Ladies Offroad Network project it is my goal to find all the Ladies that are putting a helmet on this week!! (Please help me find them) List will be hosted HERE

3. Just Racing - Of course, as we pop into all the pits we will be finding racers at different stages of their race. We will be able to give some updates and enjoy their stories.

We will be posting a couple stories nightly until Race Day when we will up the game posting from each BFG Pit as we stop in to say hello and check the Banos (Yes, that is a story!)

Can't wait to continue exposing these awesome storylines!!! <I will post on this thread when a new story is posted!>

For those who may not be familiar:
I am the owner of Bower Motorsports Media since 2008, Ladies Offroad Network and Offroad Marketing School among other projects. I am a Performance Team Member for BFGoodrich Tires in addition to other honors and certifications. I have been working in the offroad industry for 23 years and have recently focused all my attention to supporting the ladies who love offroading. For the 50th SCORE Baja 1000, I ran the 2nd Annual Ladies Offroad Challenge where anyone from across the country could enter to be my media assistant or participate in two other events. Megan Stevenson from CA earned the opportunity and is helping in the execution of this exciting project in coordination with BFGoodrich Tires.

Charlene

Reaction
Story #1 ::::
Uncovering the Truth about BFGoodrich Tires Pit Support
Uncovering the Truth about BFGoodrich Tires Pit Support - race-deZert.com

“Thank you very much for accepting your assignment, whatever that may be,” said Frank DeAngelo, the leader of the BFGoodrich Tires Pit Support team. The room of 50 chuckled and we got to business, this was already the second meeting of the Pit Bosses and Communications Team in preparation for the 50thAnniversary of the SCORE Baja 1000 presented by BFGoodrich Tires.

The first BFGoodrich Tires pit was unofficially official in 1979 when Frank DeAngelo and Don Minton decided to drive a BFGoodrich Semi Truck to La Paz to help support racers. There was still two sections of dirt road trying to get to La Paz, but that didn’t stop them. With 38 years of experience under their belt, both are still participating in the pit support program.....

Baja Day 1 RDC Header.jpg

Charlene

Reaction
Story #2::::

BFGoodrich Pit Banos – A Historic Competition
BFGoodrich Pit Banos – A Historic Competition - race-deZert.com

Maybe we should have titled this The Tale of the Toilet or The Legend of the Lavatory?

While Jack Sepoole was running a BFGoodrich Tires pit for the Baja 1000 in 1992 he had the challenge of finding a couple of the female volunteers a private place to use the bathroom, at least as private a place as one can have in the middle of the desert, and that’s when it struck him! When he returned to the states, he went to work. It took Jack a couple of days to figure out the most efficient way to cut up pieces of plywood so that one could fit comfortably, and in the end he had all the pieces he needed to construct an outhouse in their BFG Baja pit the following year. It worked!...
Toilet Seat RDC Header.jpg

alwaysracin

Reaction
Story #2::::

BFGoodrich Pit Banos – A Historic Competition
BFGoodrich Pit Banos – A Historic Competition - race-deZert.com

Maybe we should have titled this The Tale of the Toilet or The Legend of the Lavatory?

While Jack Sepoole was running a BFGoodrich Tires pit for the Baja 1000 in 1992 he had the challenge of finding a couple of the female volunteers a private place to use the bathroom, at least as private a place as one can have in the middle of the desert, and that’s when it struck him! When he returned to the states, he went to work. It took Jack a couple of days to figure out the most efficient way to cut up pieces of plywood so that one could fit comfortably, and in the end he had all the pieces he needed to construct an outhouse in their BFG Baja pit the following year. It worked!...
View attachment 185724

It make great competition for # 1 Outhouse between the BFG pits for the best.....Had great time competing...

La Tijereta

Reaction
Frank has lead many of these meetings over the years, including this one for the 1992 Baja 1000 Rough Rider pits.. Still on top of the game..

CenterlineImages.1992. Baja 1000. RR. DeAngelo.21x.jpg

@ CenterlineImages

Speedy Gonzales

Reaction
We have been fueling at BFG pits for both the 250 and 500 this year. Never had a problem, and the guys fueling our car have been top notch each and every time. My wife also got a status from their relay once during the 500. Keep up the good work.

Marco Gonzales
Speedy Gonzales Racing
Wide Open Baja BC3

Jessaca

Reaction
I emailed you awhile ago about women racers, never got a reply.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Charlene

Reaction
Story #3....

Sitting with BFGoodrich Tires Pits Seasoned Veterans
Sitting with BFGoodrich Tires Pits Seasoned Veterans - race-deZert.com <Click here to read.

As Charlene Bower and I walked through the BFGoodrich Tires pit exchange area, and she introduced me to pit leaders and their crews, there were several seasoned veterans who stood out to me. I wanted to sit down get to know them a little better, and so we did:
Learn more about Richard Winchester, Don Minton and Sam Wilshire - over 100 years combined BFG Pit Experience

Seasoned Vets BFG RDC.jpg

Charlene

Reaction
Story #4....

370 BFG Tires Dropped Off at Baja 1000 Pit Exchange - race-deZert.com < CLICK to read the full story

Not sure what I was expecting from the BFGoodrich Tires Pit Exchange day. Maybe I was anticipating a bit of a contingency style atmosphere with vehicles rolling through bumper-to-bumper dropping off tires, dump cans, parts and tools; teams signing up at the tables, one on top of another. Yea, that wasn’t quite the case.
It was so organized there was no opportunity for the 150 plus teams to get bound up in a bumper-to-bumper situation. The pit locations were parked in order from 1 to 8 and the truck and trailers easily drove through to the pit locations they wanted to drop off at. Inside, the tables were set up for fuel, insurance, pit books, communications and a general help station. Again, the numbers from today are staggering. I’ll give you one right now: 370 BFGoodrich Tires were dropped off to be hauled to pits.....

Pit Exchange Day.jpg

Journee

Reaction
Today we officially kicked off our first day of the 50th Baja 1000! Thanks to the whole group at RDC they have allowed me the opportunity to share our adventures with you...on the homepage!! (So cool! Thank you)

We have multiple storylines that we are following, so here is what I am up to...

1. BFGoodrich Tires Pits - Do you know what it takes to make this work? Holy Cow! We are going to expose the pits and all the efforts that go into helping over 150 teams race this week.

2. Ladies Racing - As part of my Ladies Offroad Network project it is my goal to find all the Ladies that are putting a helmet on this week!! (Please help me find them) List will be hosted HERE

3. Just Racing - Of course, as we pop into all the pits we will be finding racers at different stages of their race. We will be able to give some updates and enjoy their stories.

We will be posting a couple stories nightly until Race Day when we will up the game posting from each BFG Pit as we stop in to say hello and check the Banos (Yes, that is a story!)

Can't wait to continue exposing these awesome storylines!!! <I will post on this thread when a new story is posted!>

For those who may not be familiar:
I am the owner of Bower Motorsports Media since 2008, Ladies Offroad Network and Offroad Marketing School among other projects. I am a Performance Team Member for BFGoodrich Tires in addition to other honors and certifications. I have been working in the offroad industry for 23 years and have recently focused all my attention to supporting the ladies who love offroading. For the 50th SCORE Baja 1000, I ran the 2nd Annual Ladies Offroad Challenge where anyone from across the country could enter to be my media assistant or participate in two other events. Megan Stevenson from CA earned the opportunity and is helping in the execution of this exciting project in coordination with BFGoodrich Tires.

Email sent :)

Charlene

Reaction
Thank you LADIES for reaching out!!! We have been working on the official list with SCORE today while we have been posted up in Registration. The list is amaaaazing!! I will let you know when it is up tomorrow. There are more than you think! :)
(If you know of a lady putting on a helmet, please don't hesitate to reach out to me and let me know about them! Best is charlene@bowermedia.com)

Charlene

Reaction
Story #5....

Safety First in BFGoodrich Tires Pits - race-deZert.com
< CLICK to read the full Story

When we think about racing and safety it is natural to focus on the driver and co-driver inside the car – race suits, helmets, seatbelts, neck restraints and the list goes on. But what about outside the car, specifically at the pits? What we don’t usually think about are the plans the pit crews have in place, the preparations that are made to eliminate any concerns, and the rules that are there to help prevent any incidents from happening....

Safety Pits.jpg

Charlene

Reaction
Story #6....

Parade of the Pits – BFGoodrich Tires Style - race-deZert.com
<< CLICK to read full story.

It was dark, very dark. But it usually is at 5:15am. This was the hour the first calgary of pits started their parade to Baja. The tractor trailers, packed with tires and goodies, looking like Santa’s Sleighs with all their LED lights glistening peeled out like a race of turtles. :dutdadah-charge!: The second group left at 7am, a third group at 10am and a fourth group at 10:15am, luckily they didn’t leave me on the highway onramp! For your viewing pleasure of this parade, I have sped up the video to 200x!....

BFG Pits.jpg

Charlene

Reaction
Story #7....

BFGoodrich Tire’s Communication Team Scales Mountaintops for the Baja 1000 - race-deZert.com
<< CLICK to read full story and watch the video about the ladies going up to the mountain top with MULES!

There are a total of nine relay stations, manned by 13 volunteers, set up in between the eight BFGoodrich Tires pits. At least one month before the race Wild Bill, leader of the BFG communications team, starts gathering up all the equipment tirelessly inspecting each unit, checking to make sure everything works, down to examining every cable for possible damage, and fixing or replacing as needed. This year a total of 12 in car radios, 12 mag-mounts with antennas, 7 suitcase satellites, 4 mobile satellites, 3 base antennas and 3 mast antennas will be distributed between the relay stations. Those numbers don’t include the units distributed to the pit crews and other BFGoodrich Tires vehicles traversing Baja this week. When you call BFGRELAY, this will be the team of volunteers that will be helping you.........

BFG Radio Relay.jpg

Charlene

Reaction
STORY #8....

Behind the Scenes of SCORE International and Ensenada - race-deZert.com
<<Click to Read

Includes SCORE Registration, BFG Media Table gifts, Walk of Fame, BFGoodrich Tires Hospitality

Ensenada, the Offroad Capital of the world, is buzzing with excitement. Today starts contingency for the 50thSCORE Baja 1000. Starting contingency on Tuesday, November 14th is new, it is a two day experience this year because of the pure number of vehicles that need to be inspected at tech. So, although it was already crowded, there is still a lot of room for expansion tomorrow. What we do know is Large T-shirts are pretty much sold out at all the SCORE booths and it is only Tuesday at noon. That is impressive!....

BFG-Baja-1000-SCORE.jpg

Attachments

• BFG-Baja-1000-SCORE.jpg
    BFG-Baja-1000-SCORE.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 144

Charlene

Reaction
Story #9.....

50th Baja 1000 Legends, Dignitaries, Government Officials, Media and Racers - race-deZert.com
<< Click here to read

Includes Press Conference, Drivers Meeting and Contingency!

Today was a day of race business and ceremonies. Today included legends, dignitaries and government officials. Tech inspection and contingency was outside, while inside it was much quieter in the spectacular Cathedral Room at the Press Conference and Drivers Meeting. Registration was open until 4pm, the final papers passing back into the driver file around 5pm. Tonight at midnight the motorcycles and ATVs take the green flag, 10 hours later the trucks will.....

bfg score baja 1000.jpg

Charlene

Reaction
Story #10...

62 Ladies Racing the BFGoodrich Tires 50th Baja 1000 - race-deZert.com
<<<CLICK Here to Read

Sixty-Two Ladies. Would you have guessed that would be the number of ladies putting helmets on to race the 2017 SCORE Baja 1000? It’s an unofficial number that SCORE registration and Megan and I at Ladies Offroad Network worked hard to find, and I bet there are more that we didn’t uncover!..........

Ladies Racing Baja 1000.jpg

Charlene

Reaction

Charlene

Reaction
Story #11

BFG Pit 1 Report: 50th SCORE Baja 1000 - race-deZert.com
<<< CLICK here to read

We were literally 1 minute too late. We saw the trophy truck make the turn dusting out the chase trucks that were 6 ahead of us, but we didn’t actually see him. Rob MacCachren was leading the race as of BFG Pit 1 at RM 130.7.

What happened to Robby Gordon #77? Well he received help from the BFG Pits, even though he is on Toyo Tires. He lost a .......
BFG Pit 1.jpg