Big Oly goes to auction

Zac Reish

Reaction
Wow. My first thought is what an idiot. My second thought is that guy has more money than sense. My third thought I guess you cant put a price on a historical vehicle. My forth thought is why is this vehicle so historical.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
It was a trophy truck 30 years before trophy trucks were thought of & 3' whoops were non existent (caused by TT's in the first place)
Yes it's dated but in its day it was thinking WAY outta the box

I had the chance to crawl under it while it was hanging on the ford wall @ SEMA a couple years ago. All tube frame reverse front radius arms, 2wd, motor shoved back a foot, wheelbase stretched, pretty damned trick for 1969 thinking & WAY before cad drawings & calculators

Any of you guys know what a slide rule is?

This thing sent us to the moon & back

Attachments

• 20210522_154255.jpg
    20210522_154255.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
Wow I can't belive this!

In 2 months this has only 23 posts I guess this significant piece of history really don't mean squat to the youngsters (Or anybody else for that matter) if I had a couple million burning a hole in my wallet I'd have this in my shop getting prepped for alot of displays, shows, cameo, paid advertisements, possibly a NORRA race or two then retire it in the off road hall of fame as a huge tax deduction under a 'charitable contribution' for the entire cost of what you paid.

Hopefully one of you high dollar wallet racers out thier with more money & ego than common sense bought it just for a tax deduction & not some azzhole towel head in that Sandy part of the planet for his sons 16th birthday because all the gold plated Bentleys are in short supply due to covid.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
The reality is, this car won a few races, but was not dominant like some cars have been. The name recognition is really what the sale was about. PJ is a racer near the top of list of racers in the World, so that makes it more significant than the accomplishments of the vehicle. If the price was based on vehicle history and wins, can you imagine what a Walker Evans or Rod Hall Dodge would be worth? This is either simply going to a museum display or some rich persons really cool living room display. Wrecking it in th desert at this point would be REALLY DUMB.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Walker had so many trucks I doubt there was more than 1 win in a truck before it was sold and another one built.

I think the Truggy was the most dominate run.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Website
www.racers-only.com
I think the reason this Bronco is so historic is mainly because of the driver. You have to remember, off road racing was in its infancy, no one really paid too much attention to it until People like James Garner, Steve McQueen and of course Parnelli Jones came around. Parnelli brought legitimacy to the sport and carried the Ford brand with him. The Big Oly Bronco wasn't even supposed to be built as Bill Stroppe was the car builder and said "NO". Well, ol' Parnelli secretly had Dick Russell build Big Oly behind Bill's back until they finally let him in on what it was they were doing. Once Bill gave it the ok they finished Big Oly at Stroppe's raced shop. I think that's how the story goes, I'm sure Todd Z could elaborate more on the subject.

So, basically what you're getting is the first REAL off road racing vehicle built strictly to Off Road Racing competition by what I would say one of the most successful racers in motorsports at that era....Parnelli Jones. The Bronco itself could be replicated today for under $100k (in a professional shop, built from the ground up). You're buying the history that comes with it. Hell, the Bat mobile sold for $4 million so in my eyes Big Oly was a bargain!

jon coleman

Reaction
if i was filthy rich i woulda baught it& turned it into a cool man - cave beer tap, ( coors light of course, since olympia is no longer brewed.)

Attachments

• images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    10.6 KB · Views: 43
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    8.2 KB · Views: 44

burro8

Reaction
When was the last time the purpose built Baja Boot sold? How much did it sell for? With it's Steve McQueen connection I would think it would be up there in value? Or the James Garner Banshee Olds.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Think about this- How much is the Bobby Ferro Sandmaster/funco worth? The Malcolm Smith/Bud Feldkamp Bel Ray Bullet? Tom Koch's class 1 Raceco? Larry Ragland's Chaparral? Any of the McMillin 6 pack of Chenowths? Jim Summers' Funco or Raceco 1600 cars? (The guy won like 22 straight 1600 class wins in Score and HDRA when there were 40+ cars in class at every race.) Everyone of the cars I mentioned have way more wins by guys who may not be mainstream motorsports stars (Malcolm is the exception) but they had way more wins and success off road than PJ did. The price is for the bragging rights of saying you have a race car that Rufus Parnell Jones (his actual name) raced. The fact that there are no other cars like it makes it unique. He won tons of races in sprint cars, but those are not and were not unique even back then. Warpy can chime in here, but about the only other guy that is going to draw this kind of money for an off road race car is one of Ivan Stewart's Toyotas. (Here's to hoping I'm right buddy!)

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Website
www.offroadaction.com
Think about this- How much is the Bobby Ferro Sandmaster/funco worth? The Malcolm Smith/Bud Feldkamp Bel Ray Bullet? Tom Koch's class 1 Raceco? Larry Ragland's Chaparral? Any of the McMillin 6 pack of Chenowths? Jim Summers' Funco or Raceco 1600 cars? (The guy won like 22 straight 1600 class wins in Score and HDRA when there were 40+ cars in class at every race.) Everyone of the cars I mentioned have way more wins by guys who may not be mainstream motorsports stars (Malcolm is the exception) but they had way more wins and success off road than PJ did. The price is for the bragging rights of saying you have a race car that Rufus Parnell Jones (his actual name) raced. The fact that there are no other cars like it makes it unique. He won tons of races in sprint cars, but those are not and were not unique even back then. Warpy can chime in here, but about the only other guy that is going to draw this kind of money for an off road race car is one of Ivan Stewart's Toyotas. (Here's to hoping I'm right buddy!)

Ivan's 015 trophy truck was selling for $500k about 8 years ago and didn't sell. And didn't it go to auction also and didn't sell? Maybe in todays market it would have sold easily at a higher price...

Tom_Willis

Reaction
An auction catches the energy of all the bidders at the same time. And it encourages spending more than you planned. Definitely a better way to go. I'd like to find out the winner is someone in the Ford family, as they have the resources to buy it plus the ability to show it off to a very wide audience back at the mother ship in Dearborn.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Timing is everything, they hit the perfect storm with the hype around the new Broncos coming out. 2 years ago it would have got maybe half that. In 2 years it will most likely be worth half. They hit the bubble perfectly.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
The "charlie bit me" video sold for $750k as an NFT, there are alot of people out there with too much money begging for someone to take it from them. Id day this was a good deal compared to a youtube video of a toddler having his finger bitten by a baby

Tom_Willis

Reaction
is that what you mean by NFT?

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
is that what you mean by NFT?
Unfortunately yes. Someone spent 3 qtrs of a million dollars to own a youtube video of a baby biting a toddler.

Take that into perspective on what someone paid for Big Oly.

bajaherbie

Reaction
I'm 61, grew up in Oklahoma, never been to baja but when I was a kid I read every word in Hot Rod magazine, especially the baja 500 & 1000 race reports.

Heck yeah I know who Parnelli is and what Big Oly is!

Somebody got a deal!