Big Race History Lesson

3 Amigos Racing

Reaction
Anything you care to share about the last "Big Race"
Winners, teams, set ups, stories?

doug969

Reaction
A good for me was that Mr. Burns beat me on only 3 wheels. Ouch!!!

racer951

Reaction
I think Johnny actually passed my co-driver on 3 wheels. He was a little surprised to say the least.

Really though, I learned a couple lessons:

1. Get Jim to commit to a payback schedule BEFORE the race. I prefer the standar payback schedule but something needs to be in writing as last time he changed it without telling anyone. Payback for the winner was dropped by roughly $2500 and was distributed further down the pack than normal (to 10th place). Some were happy, some weren't.

2. Count on a no-show rate of 20-25% from your web entries. We had 60 signed up on the class 9 website and somewhere around 55 on the MORE site; 46 started.

3. For as much action as there is on the first lap (fun factor = 10), someone is probably going to drive away from the field. Class 9 can't seem to manage the parity and reliability of 1600, even with a ton of cars. I think the winner will have it by a comfortable margin.

I think with the economy how it is and the length of the race we will see better teams of drivers than 2006 and there will be 5-6 teams that pull away early.

oldman dirt

Reaction
I agree a set payback schedule needs to be in place BEFORE the race---------

a 12 hour time limit is going to play a part--as are the new sections which are single track and could create a bottle neck

I dont think a RABBIT is going to win it--it is going to be the team that does 6 consistent laps and has no down time--

Torres won the Barstow race but wasnt that back in 04, 05?
when was the last 9 challenge race?

I suggest we payback 20 percent of the field---
example 40 entries payback through 8th, just a thought-- the explanation on the pro nine site is kind of confussing on the payback, as to bonus'

ACME

Reaction
Get an organized post race tech set up through MORE. Weight, inspect fuel (since it's getting pumped out anyway) and measure the top 5 correctly, and decide in advance what the top 3, 5 or whatever need to do. Torres had the great idea of writing 10 post race inspection things on notes in a fish bowl and the winner and so on randomly draw one and that's what you do. P&G, pull a head, carburator, wheel trans etc... The other way is inspect the top 5 weight, wheelbase, carb & the 3rd adds trans, second trans and??? and the first pulls a head in addition to the std stuff. Whatever is done needs to be fair to all and make sure the field is legit. We'd also like to request the scales be set up at tech.

3 Amigos Racing

Reaction
hmm not a lot of history yet:)

any photos, names, teams that ran, how many miles, when where etc?

I will adress the other items this weekend and post in another thread related to the race and rules.

doug969

Reaction
I think there was 46 cars that started. It was cool seeing the guys from down south with their cars and idea's on things. There is a cool pic on some site with like 6 cars in a row on the hills by the dump. There was a ton of broken cars on the first lap and I think I broke an axle after the race getting the bucket in the trailer doing a donut. Torres smoked all of us!

johnnyb985

Reaction
I remember starting like 38th ,that first lap was the most fun i've ever had in a 9 car,954 johnson was right in front of me ,we must of passed 20 cars by the time we got to the camel humps.Cant wait for this race. see you all there. hopfully a repeat of the last big 9 race,except for the finishing on 3 wheels part.:rolleyes: