Bigger Tires on '00 Chevy 3/4ton

Billy_the_Kid

Reaction
Bigger Tires on \'00 Chevy 3/4ton

Does anybody know what the procedure is for replacing the OEM size tires on my 2000 Chevy ¾ ton with a bigger series tire?

I have asked both the local tire store and the GM dealer, and they both just point at each other. The tire store said the dealer can reprogram the computer in the truck to work with a bigger tire, but the dealer said they can only reprogram for what the truck came with for original tire size options. The problem is, the 2000 Chevy ¾ ton trucks only came with one size available, 245/75x16E. So they said that’s the only size tire I can put on there, and if I want to go bigger, then the tire store has to reprogram… That size tire is just way too small, I want to put at least a 285/75x16D. I know by doing that I will screw up the speedometer, but I’ve also heard stories of it screwing up the computer somehow. I’ve seen similar trucks around that have the bigger tires, so it must be possible.

Does anyone know how I should go about this?

<font color=orange>”I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”</font color=orange>

Bill Schmitt

MikeLeung

Reaction
Re: Bigger Tires on \'00 Chevy 3/4ton

I had a 99 3/4 ton Chevy and I put 31 inch tires on the stock rim. I also put a couple of turns on the front torsion to level out the truck. I noticed little or no change in the speedometer and ride. The only thing was that the tires rubbed a little. I don't think you need to worry to much about messing up the computers in the car, but if your worried, go buy a Hypertech programmer. It'll improve the trucks performance and you can also change the tire size in the computer.

K5Blazer

Reaction

We've had some of the new HD's come in with problems and GM recommends that the tire size be put back to stock, I know on the Duramax's will come up with a lot of weird problems because of the spedo being off, transmission acting weird, speedometer is wrong, etc. I would get the programmer if you want your truck to act like stock.

Gabe Lara

Reaction

I've had 285s on my '99 Silverado (3/4 ton, Autotrac 4x4 with the 6.0 Vortec) for about 4 years now.
No problems, other than my speedo being off about 4 mph... and a bit of rubbing on the plastic apron behind the bumper.

-Gabe