Bill Hrynko

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I know he raced in the 1970s and into the early 1980s, I believe. Raced in class 2 for all the pics I have seen. Usually Chenowth buggies. Maybe some class 9 and 1 when they were the hot classes in a Wedge? I think he may have even teamed with Stewart before he was Iron Man.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
I think the story goes that Ivan and Bill were high school friends and Bill asked Ivan if he wanted to co-ride with him at a race. Turns out Bill got hurt before the race so he let Ivan race. Ivan placed well (3rd I think) so Bill let him race a few more times and Ivan started winning. I think that's when he Bill decided to become just the car owner until Ivan was picked up by Modern Motors. I "THINK" that's the story....

Mike321

Reaction
I think the story goes that Ivan and Bill were high school friends and Bill asked Ivan if he wanted to co-ride with him at a race. Turns out Bill got hurt before the race so he let Ivan race. Ivan placed well (3rd I think) so Bill let him race a few more times and Ivan started winning. I think that's when he Bill decided to become just the car owner until Ivan was picked up by Modern Motors. I "THINK" that's the story....
Thanks, Rory. Did Bill still participate after Ivan went to Modern Motors? According to the link Bill broke a leg and Ivan "won the race" -- the 1973 Ensenada 300. Not sure if that was overall or a class win.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I know Hrynko had some good finishes in a Class 2 Chenowth 2 seat Magnum car at several Baja races in the early 1980s.

Ranch Hand

Reaction
Bill was a house painter by trade and an off-road racer by desire. Bill fell off a ladder painting a house and since the car, a Chenowth Class 2 car was prepped Ivan drove the Ensenada race and won. After that, Ivan and Bill teamed up for several races and were very successful with Ivan doing the majority of the driving. I believe it was in 1976 that Bill moved to Texas and started his own house painting company. Around this time Steve Sellwood from Modern Motors in Glendale, was trying to sell 4-wheel drive GMC vans. Since Modern Motors was primarily a Cadillac dealer, buyers were hesitant to buy anything dealing with off-road or 4-wheel drive from them. Some one suggested that Modern Motors should have an off-road presence. Steve contacted Don Arnett at Sandmaster and sponsored a car for a couple of races. That relationship went south and Steve bought 2 SS-1 Funcos and started Modern Motors Racing. Steve then negotiated with Ivan to drive one and Billy, (the last name escapes me) was to drive the other. Guy Jones, who had raced with Bud Ekins, in the Baja Boot Olds was the Off-Road manager. Guy had a vision to create an Off-Road Super Super Team that could sweep all class and thus Team Modern Motors was born. Modern Motors only owned the original 2 SS-1's but fielded cars in Classes 1,2,5,and 9 with some Off-Road Super Star drivers: Ivan Stewart, John Johnson, Dick Lee, Carroll Ditson, and Andy DeVercelly to name a few. When Scott McKenzie took over the Off-road shop, Bobby Ferro joined the team and also drove with Ivan for Team Modern Motors.

I apologize for hi-jacking this thread about Bill Hrynko........once I started thinking about our adventures in the early 70's with Bill. Ivan and Modern Motors it was impossible to shut it off. Hopefully I provided some insight about the "good old days".