Billings Montana.

Greg

RDC Crypto
Website
prerunners.com
Maybe this needs a little clarification. There are three distinct parties that need to be addressed in deciding if an event can take place and where. First is the FACILITY/track owner. He wants his money. So as a promoter, you will be charged. If he wants too much, you cant run there. Sometimes you can split the gate, again, if no one shows, you don't come back.
Second is the RACER. You want to insure that the facility will fit their needs, you want to allow them to race. It is my opinion that the racer should be allowed to race at the lowest possible price and have the best payback possible. If the event can be run with zero entry fee, then it should be done. The racers are the show. But they do have a budget, if the venue is too far away, if the event is run at a bad time, on the wrong weekend, etc., they wont show up.
Finally, the spectator. He is responsible for paying for the event. You need to have a function that he wants to come to. The facility should be nice, provide for his comfort without gouging him for his life savings on food and parking. If the event is too far, there are other events happening the same time, if the facility is poor or unfriendly, etc...he wont bring his much needed money. If there are no racers, he wont show-up again and he will tell his buddies that your event sucked.
I haven't got into the sponsor issue as I truly believe that too many promoters rely on outside money and forget about these three core points. If the Racer-Spectator-Owner issues are in balance, then the event will be successful. Sponsor money tends to throw the balance off, IE promoter knowing he, himself, is financially covered so he dose'nt care about the Racer/Owner as much.

Ziggy

RDC Crypto
`If anyone wants to develope this idea then let me know.I was the one who approached the track owner and convinced him to put an off road track there in the first place.I know him well as a friend and as a business man and he has always been interested in getting the "Big Boys" to come to race there.
FYI

ditchrunner

RDC Crypto
Ziggy,
Isn't there a consortium that owns (or long term lease?) the land, and then there is a seperate group that leases the offroad track? From what I remember, there was originally 4? people that developed the drag strip and then that went through some changes and the current group (with your prodding apparently - THANKS!) decided to put in a track. There was support from some of the Montana off road shops who race and subsequently those people and a couple of others lease the track on a year to year basis. I think it is down to 3 people that lease the track now, and put on events purely as a way to have a place to race their own (and sponsored) rigs. If they break even for the year they are extremely happy.
There were 4 events each of the last couple of years, and I think that is the plan for this next year.
If there were a date where the trucks are coming back from the east and wanted to swing wide and stop here, that'd be cool. If some of you pros throw out a date or two that you'd be willing to make the drive, I can pass that along.
Blair

Chris Tobin

RDC Crypto
Did you use your super awesome marketing program to come to that conclusion?

Pomona and Chula Vista are surrounded by the largest population in the United States, yet they barely drew a third of what Crandon gets, which is definitely in the "middle of BFE" as you put it.

CORR had NBC, Wally Dahlenbach, a huge truck count, celebrities, and all kinds of other gimmicks, plus they were surrounded by 10 million people, and yet they barely drew a little more than Bark River. So I wouldn't be so fast to discount Billings Montana, or "scratch your ass Iowa" for that matter either. For the record, Billings has a 100,000 more population than Crandon. And more importantly, they may have a community that would appreciate and support this type of thing just like they do in Crandon and Bark River.

This concept that you need to go to major cities right off the bat, and have huge pro truck counts (with half the field being beginners) and spend huge amounts of money on Network Television and and bring in "celebrities" and all kinds of other gimmicks is obviously a misconception. It may be the type of thing that attracts Bully Dog sponsorship money, but it's obviously not what makes a series a sustainable, long-term success.

Crandon had bigger crowds and sponsors in the 80's then CORR does now. CORR had NBC, Speed TV, HDTV, Wally Dallenbach, huge truck counts, and were in a population of millions, and the biggest sponsor they could pull is you.

I agree with you though that Crandon has been going for a long time, and that it takes time to build a fan base and an event that gets enough exposure that people from out of the immediate area come to it. I would also add that having a solid foundation of supporters in community will help see to it being a sustainable long term success. ...a truly solid core of organizers, drivers, fans and sponsors ...like what Crandon has.

Steve, why in the world do you think CORR having Wally was an enhancement??? He didn't know off-road, does not have off-road history and pretty much sucks as a commentator. Then the spectators will not see him as he is in the broadcast booth so why would having Wally there be a bonus to CORR. If anything he was a detriment as he needed to be paid and gave little in return, same with Bill Weber... Cameron Steele was a much better announcer for CORR and locals may actually come out for a chance to see Cam and his guys unlike Wally and Bill.

I have met both Wally and Bill and this is not ment as an attack on them, but they were not well suited for CORR and as the added expense that they brought along to the party I don't think they were worth it. Ken Stout and Cam Steele were a much better combo and they probably were cheaper too!

Chris Tobin

RDC Crypto
Chris,

Steve's inclusion of Wally was tongue-in-cheek...

OH, okay.

Where are you at in MoVal??? I graduated from MVHS in 1988 and lived there until the early 90s when we moved away then again a few years ago before we moved out to Tennessee.

I actually lived there before the McDonalds on Perris Blvd by the 60 opened... We rode our bikes down for the grand opening... it was a huge deal with Ronald and all the other characters there and such!!!

Steve_Naughton

RDC Crypto
Website
www.stevenaughton.com
Yeah, I definitely didn't think Wally made sense for short course off road racing. I've met him too and he is a good person, and very knowledgeable about Nascar, but just didn't make sense for corr. However, I thought Bill Webber was outstanding. A truly great writer. Bill Webber & Walker Evans could've been a powerful team for corr.

mv181aa

RDC Crypto
What about Dustin Webster for an announcer? How did you guys like him for CORR?