BITD 2022 Updated UTV Rules

Rcamp99

Reaction
The main problem with the utv class is that the factory car itself changes so often it's hard to keep up with current rules. It's like every year its something new to deal with. When building a purpose built car you build it to the rules from scratch but with the utv it is a play car your trying to fit in a class. Wait till the speed car hits the field in 5 years 🤣
the NA class should be so easy to police. It’s one of the biggest SXS classes in bitd. Can am doesn’t even really make a car that’s competitive. So we have Polaris, Kawasaki, Honda, textron. And those cars have largely stayed the same for 8 years. it should be so easy to tech and it’s ultra competitive with huge entry’s. And there is xp900’s from 2013 that are still competitive in xp1000 trim

J Prich

Reaction
Yes- by an elected or chosen representative/group for the class who understand the class better than any promotor can (unless that promotor has also raced that class). And I am not saying there should be a firewall between the class reps and the promotors, I am just suggesting that it would be a hell of a lot easier for you (as a promotor) to have a single person come to you representing a whole class to discuss the class rules, and be responsible for enforcing those rules. Also, if you (as a promotor) wanted to institute changes to a class for whatever reason, it would be easier to go to a single class rep and explain what you want to do and why, rather than dealing with dozens of individual racers all with different viewpoints.

I love what you have done/are doing to improve the sport but I have been desert racing for over 20 years and class rules/issues like this as the sport evolves have been the biggest single detriment to racing outside of land use issues.
Seems much easier said then done. Anecdotally a few years ago I thought I would try to help be the guy to corral the herd, in a very small class. Talking less than 10 drivers/stakeholders. It was exhausting and virtually impossible to get consensus on much of anything and actually ended up being counter productive because no compromises were ever really agreed upon and everything ended up becoming pointless circular arguments. I know others have tried to do this too...well intentioned do gooders who tried to solicit opinions from fellow class competitors for the sake of consolidating input and agreeing on stuff, and they have had similar experiences.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find people who are willing to do what you have to do to be that person for a class, especially when we are talking about larger classes. It's a fantastic concept, but in practice it never seems to work out as easily as described above.

Rcamp99

Reaction
Seems much easier said then done. Anecdotally a few years ago I thought I would try to help be the guy to corral the herd, in a very small class. Talking less than 10 drivers/stakeholders. It was exhausting and virtually impossible to get consensus on much of anything and actually ended up being counter productive because no compromises were ever really agreed upon and everything ended up becoming pointless circular arguments. I know others have tried to do this too...well intentioned do gooders who tried to solicit opinions from fellow class competitors for the sake of consolidating input and agreeing on stuff, and they have had similar experiences.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find people who are willing to do what you have to do to be that person for a class, especially when we are talking about larger classes. It's a fantastic concept, but in practice it never seems to work out as easily as described above.
Everyone has their own agenda, and no one wants to have to change their vehicle because of a class rule change.

Herding cats for sure

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
Reaction
We have class reps, we have a voting process that allows racers to make change. They usually cant agree what the green flag means.

I met with Dan at SCORE, and spoke multiple times with Bryan Folks at BITD.

It is pretty obvious that everyone is still going their own directions. It was a pipe dream to get everyone on the same page and it shouldnt be seen as anything other than different business needs if it doesnt work out.

It seems like people are trying to find places to point fingers...if you have a car that fits the rules and you want to race...go race. Its that simple.

Rcamp99

Reaction
We have class reps, we have a voting process that allows racers to make change. They usually cant agree what the green flag means.

I met with Dan at SCORE, and spoke multiple times with Bryan Folks at BITD.

It is pretty obvious that everyone is still going their own directions. It was a pipe dream to get everyone on the same page and it shouldnt be seen as anything other than different business needs if it doesnt work out.

It seems like people are trying to find places to point fingers...if you have a car that fits the rules and you want to race...go race. Its that simple.
I’m a little bummed about the fact the class i race In (Production NA) hasn’t changed MFG wise in years. But the rules keep changing for the class every year.
It’s sucks you weren’t able to get People in agreement with the rule changes. it seems for NA, if you build to BITD rulebook you can race anywhere. But some people will have better technology than you at a legacy or score race. It is what it is, no ones gunna lose a race because another car has their shock on the lower arm instead of the upper. Just wish the rule books were all somewhat closer. And allowing the RS1 into the class is a whole nother bucket of worms