BITD Class 10 Motors for 2019

clogking

This just in!!

Dear Class 1000 participant,
There has been a lot of discussion in regards to the motors that are currently available in your class. As most of you are aware, the 2.4 DI engine is no longer available from GM as a new crate engine. 2014 was the last year that a production vehicle used the 2.4 DI engine. By federal law, they must supply parts for that vehicle for 7 years after last production date of that specific make and model. The engine is now only available as a re manufactured version.
Through our friends at General Motors, we were able to talk to the lead engineer who oversees the production of the 2.4 DI engine. After talking with this engineer, here is what we have learned they are doing to the re manufactured engine.
  • Cylinders- Bore ¼ millimeter over stock- if needed
  • Cranks- Reground ¼ millimeter under factory spec- if needed
  • Cams- Measure and polish if needed- no grinding of cams. If the cams are out of factory spec tolerances, they are replaced with brand new cams.
  • Valve Guides Replace with oversized valve guides/ epoxy in place- if needed
  • Valves Replace with Factory stock valve
  • Heads No decking of heads below factory spec. If heads are out of factory spec tolerances, they are replaced with brand new heads.
Based on the above information and the fact that there are several hundred motors readily available, Best In The Desert WILL NOT BE changing Class 1000 engine rules for the 2019 season.
Donald Jackson
Operations Manager
Best In The Desert
3475 Boulder Hwy
Las Vegas, NV 89121
702-457-5775
www.bitd.com

OFFRD-JNKIE

This is going to end up costing the racers more $$$$... There is no way those motors are going to be as durable as the originals.

ErikIrvine

Can't make everyone happy all the time.

I know BITD asked racer's opinions, validated claims, and did a lot of research. I was hoping for a new 2.5L, but I support their decision and appreciate their quality effort!!

Bro_Gill

Gonna be a lot of blow ups.
There aren't already? Here's the deal. It isn't a race motor. Drive it like one, and expect short life. Tune it down a hair and it lasts. But you make that choice. Many complained about the cost of a race motor and that is what created this non-race motor option. Now some will complain because the non-race motor wight grenade when they drive it like a race motor.

Zac Reish

Race motors grenade when they’re driven like these motors.
There aren't already? Here's the deal. It isn't a race motor. Drive it like one, and expect short life. Tune it down a hair and it lasts. But you make that choice. Many complained about the cost of a race motor and that is what created this non-race motor option. Now some will complain because the non-race motor wight grenade when they drive it like a race motor.
You don’t have a clue what you’re talking About.

Last edited:

MTPyle

just curious, why not also use the new motor?

Then let the guys with the current motor get them rebuilt if they choose. Then the guy that wants new can get one. I am actually asking the question, not making a statement.

I dont know anything about the current or replacement motor.

Mike

rocky4by

Is the 2.4 DI engine a race engine? well we race ours, we have a Danzio engine in our 10 car it has over 2500 race miles on it and runs better than ever, and that includes the 2017 Baja 1000 and the 500 start to finish:) never misses a beat and doesn't smoke. You can buy this engine out of wrecks with 10-50k on them for around $800-1500 and that will be for a good while still. I also feel that our cars could handle a V6 option and those would even last longer, if we are talking about going to a new engine. Our team really likes class 10 just like it is, the prep is low and the car is light and easy to haul around and class 10 gives many miles of smiles:cool:

drofmij

Junk yard engines have doubled and some places tripled in price. Not sure why other than maybe it has to do with GM not selling new crate engines. Sooner or later they are going to have to goto the 2.5.
Can't make everyone happy all the time.

I know BITD asked racer's opinions, validated claims, and did a lot of research. I was hoping for a new 2.5L, but I support their decision and appreciate their quality effort!!
Sooner or later it is going to have to change, so maybe they postponed it for a few years but its inevitable.

Bro_Gill

Race motors grenade when they’re driven like these motors.

You don’t have a clue what you’re talking About.
Like hell. Face it, it doesn't have high zoot valve springs, titanuim keepers, knife edged crank, etc... It has a limit on revs based on what expected life expectancy of that production motor designed to go 100,000+ miles is in a mundane econo box car. Now revamp the tune, push the revs a little further, and drive it like you stole it in the desert. They don't last like a production econobox motor.

Zac Reish

You’re point has nothing to do with the thread bro. im Annoyed that I’m even responding to you. And you’re clueless. Show me a full race 2.4 liter fat type 4 with everything under the sun and my $845 engine will obliterate it. And last 5 times as long. I’ve owned several vw engines raced type 1’s, plenum class 12’s, 3 liter type 4’s and they can’t hold a candle to these bone stock engines. If they could there would be vw’s in 10 still

Robin Hood

You’re point has nothing to do with the thread bro. im Annoyed that I’m even responding to you. And you’re clueless. Show me a full race 2.4 liter fat type 4 with everything under the sun and my $845 engine will obliterate it. And last 5 times as long. I’ve owned several vw engines raced type 1’s, plenum class 12’s, 3 liter type 4’s and they can’t hold a candle to these bone stock engines. If they could there would be vw’s in 10 still
If they could there would be vw’s in 10 still

You are grabbing straws now...it has nothing to do with why VWs are not in class 10.

Slippery P

The shortsightedness in this sport continues to baffle, and frustrate the hell out of me. We sent 3 of these rebuilt engines back to GM due to quality issues and for the price we felt we could not supply our customers with what is now a subpar product. I can tell you right now that the majority of what is claimed as to being done by GM to the rebuilds is false.

I feel this decision is a big mistake and will definitely cost CL10 racers more money in the long run. Not to mention the fact that you can now take every tinfoil hat theory that good ol Pistol has thrown into every spec class cheating thread and apply it to CL10 for real. If the only choice is to run a GM rebuild, or for those who don’t want to take that chance have their current new factory from GM engine rebuilt, well now you have just taken a class that was thriving and opened the can of worms of “well that guy had his engine rebuilt so it has to be a cheater”. This class will end up right back where it was with $35k Honda and VW Engines.

It’s really a shame, there are individuals in which engines are their profession, who have the best interest of the future of the class and the racer in mind giving honest logical input and this is the decision that is made. Much like the land use issues effectively trying to shut down this sport we will always be behind the 8 ball due to shortsighted decision making.

Last edited:

Slippery P

Oh and BroGill you have no idea what you are talking about these 2.4 Ecotechs as new from GM have proven to be more than reliable under full race conditions. With proper tuning and good prep they can be ran multiple seasons making peak power without issue. Watching a CL10 run full stick clamped on the floor for miles across diablo dry lake is pretty impressive for a non “race” factory production engine.

Bro_Gill

Then a factory quality rebuild should be fine running them down the road...Unless you already invested heavily in the 2.5 upgrade you wanted to sell to anyone who wants to be competitive when the 'new' motor was allowed, huh? I know the 2.5 is a better motor than the 2.4. Teams with money have already bought them, pulled them apart, looked at internals, dyno'd them, etc... They are simply better motors that make more power. And anyone in class 10 would have to upgrade to be competitive or become an also ran. Stop trying to hide the obvious.

Slippery P

Then a factory quality rebuild should be fine running them down the road...Unless you already invested heavily in the 2.5 upgrade you wanted to sell to anyone who wants to be competitive when the 'new' motor was allowed, huh? I know the 2.5 is a better motor than the 2.4. Teams with money have already bought them, pulled them apart, looked at internals, dyno'd them, etc... They are simply better motors that make more power. And anyone in class 10 would have to upgrade to be competitive or become an also ran. Stop trying to hide the obvious.
False!

Andy4

Is there a reason why BITD won’t allow full rebuilds on the ecotec engines? If they are going to be certified and tagged by Turnkey in the end then what’s the diff biff ?

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

steve scott

Is there a reason why BITD won’t allow full rebuilds on the ecotec engines? If they are going to be certified and tagged by Turnkey in the end then what’s the diff biff ?

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert
It would be really helpful if BITD would tell racers which year to plan on making the switch to the 2.5 motor so teams can prepare obtaining motors and scheduling the conversion. Last minute information dump might result in decrease in car counts at least at the beginning of the year they decide for the motor conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

SummerTime

Have you seen the dyno charts? Theres no conspiracy here, and there is certainly no need for dramatic, sweeping statements. We are not talking about enough of a power increase to make anyone an also ran who wasn't going to be one anyways. The real bump is down low, so few people drive the cars there that its virtually a non issue. The 2.5 is no game changer, but relying on reman 2.4's might be. Not much emphasis is put on the engine in this class, thats the whole point; buy a fresh motor, have it tuned, put it in the car and beat on it for years is the recipe for success. At the top of the class you dont really see DNF's from engine failure as a fresh ecotec has proven to be one of the most reliable parts of the car. Effectively allowing only reman engines is a great way to mess that formula up

Bro_Gill

Have you seen the dyno charts? Theres no conspiracy here, and there is certainly no need for dramatic, sweeping statements. We are not talking about enough of a power increase to make anyone an also ran who wasn't going to be one anyways. The real bump is down low, so few people drive the cars there that its virtually a non issue. The 2.5 is no game changer, but relying on reman 2.4's might be. Not much emphasis is put on the engine in this class, thats the whole point; buy a fresh motor, have it tuned, put it in the car and beat on it for years is the recipe for success. At the top of the class you dont really see DNF's from engine failure as a fresh ecotec has proven to be one of the most reliable parts of the car. Effectively allowing only reman engines is a great way to mess that formula up
But all just speculation on your part. As to the 2,5s, it was a very successful 10 team that dyno'd the motors and said the difference was worth the change whenever it comes. Period. They have them waiting. The entire idea for allowing the ecotec in class 10 to begin with was to allow a larger stock sealed 'junkyard' cheap motor in to keep costs down. That lasted probably until the second race they were legal, is my guess. Here we already see folks complaining about FACTORY remans that they haven't even tried to run yet.