BITD Class 7300 - which truck?

DrZero

Reaction
I'm thinking about building a truck for BITD racing class 7300 -- the new 'stone stock' class. As I read the rules you can run an production V6 up to 4300cc in the class. Very little modification of anything is allowed, beside the safety upgrades of course.

So looking at late model pickups it seems to me that ubiquitous Ford Ranger may not be best choice, as the Toyota and Nissan motors have a lot more HP in stock form. I think even the Chevy I-5 is stronger.

Of course it takes more than just a fast motor to win in the desert. One big advantage the Ranger has had is all the knowledge about how to mod them, and after market parts to do the mods. But in this "stone-stock" category that's not going to help much.

It's much more about who's truck comes best equipped to deal with the desert. Looking at the currently available models the Nissan looks pretty good.

Am I missing something here? What are your thoughts??

tofarnorth

Reaction
I'm thinking about building a truck for BITD racing class 7300 -- the new 'stone stock' class. As I read the rules you can run an production V6 up to 4300cc in the class. Very little modification of anything is allowed, beside the safety upgrades of course.

So looking at late model pickups it seems to me that ubiquitous Ford Ranger may not be best choice, as the Toyota and Nissan motors have a lot more HP in stock form. I think even the Chevy I-5 is stronger.

Of course it takes more than just a fast motor to win in the desert. One big advantage the Ranger has had is all the knowledge about how to mod them, and after market parts to do the mods. But in this "stone-stock" category that's not going to help much.

It's much more about who's truck comes best equipped to deal with the desert. Looking at the currently available models the Nissan looks pretty good.

yes you are missing something FORD pays in BITD http://bitd.com/images/stories/pdfs/2011FordPerformanceAward.pdf

johnnyweb

Reaction
I think you need to rethink your data. This topic has been discussed over and over And the Ford Ranger wins every time. The 4.0 lt sohc motor makes good HP I believe it is rated at like 210hp has a strong rear diff and frame also lots of data out there on building All stock IFS is really not worthy. If you want a strong truck build and older I Beam truck and you will kill the IFS trucks! I do not know what the Chevy i6 hp is but every one I know says they suck as I concur driving a few of them my self also the suspension is not worthy. Toyota v6 May be good but the frame strength is not worthy. Nissan? really? do not know a lot about Nissan but the drive train is puny. I think the part you are missing as well is the $$$ Ford pays when you Win,place or show in a Ford for that matter in BITD anyway. FYI buy a current built truck and go racing you will be money ahead for sure. Check with Mike McCarthy out of AZ I believe he still has a nice 7300 truck he would sell for a great deal. You can build what ever you like as others have in the past but where never very successful. It seams the Ford still dominated the class. Good luck with what ever you decide to build or buy! see ya at the races

OldGreen

Reaction

I raced in this class for a while and did quite well. It is very fun. . .BUT:
1. There is every bit as much work involved in building a 7300 truck as any other desert racer.
2. Stock Parts BREAK. That makes prep expensive and time consuming.
3. There are not a lot of other 7300 trucks racing right now so you may find yourself racing yourself and the pit closing times.

Having said that, we had a TON of fun. We bought our truck already built even though we certainly could have done it ourselves. If I had it to do over again and wanted to start in a truck, I'd find a reliable 7100/7s truck or, if I had the budget, something in a tube frame. . .

And, yeah, Ford is the way to go in BITD. We actually made money a couple of times.

Since you are Vancouver, you should roll out through the gorge sometime and check out our truck and what's left of its 7300ness.

gcrawler

Reaction
good post and good debates but for sure if you are going to race a stock truck mini is cheaper to run than full size, less fuel cheaper parts and so forth but for sure as mentioned before way cheaper to buy than build and fun to race

3 Amigos Racing

Reaction
for this class or a 7s class what is better, two wheel driver or 4 wheel drive?

TeamRACEKin

Reaction
We have also raced the 7300 class for the past couple years, and are now switching to 7100. Unfortunately when we began the Ford contingency money wasn't there and we came across a vehicle that we heard was very reliable and decided to go with that. If we had to do it again we would definately build a Ranger and going to the 7100 class is a better decision on every level, competition, contigency, and you are able to use more aftermarket parts, yet still somewhat economical in the build and getting started. Go with a Ranger in the 7100 class.

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Reaction
Id go to either stock fool or 7100. 7300 has so few entries its not really worth it. 7100 allows you to reinforce stuff and run better parts to allow you to go faster for cheaper prep. stock full is just fun. and it pays well.

BajaFand

Reaction
The Ford money is great, no one can argue with that. But to me the better vehicle would be a late model (05-current) Tacoma. Excellent motor with DOHC and 245hp, strong suspension, 4wd and you will be able to bolt in coilovers in the factory positions. I know the plastic bed on a Tacoma seems cheesy, but in reality it may actually help with weight savings over a steel bed. Make everything you build bolt on to the frame so parts and body panels are easy to replace. The automatic transmission is the way to go in that truck.

Desert Son

Reaction
I'm not 100% sure, but have heard that 7300 is going away, along with the 3100 class...... 7100 is your best choice, not that much more in cost.more trucks in class and less abusive ride.

johnnyweb

Reaction
The Ford money is great, no one can argue with that. But to me the better vehicle would be a late model (05-current) Tacoma. Excellent motor with DOHC and 245hp, strong suspension, 4wd and you will be able to bolt in coilovers in the factory positions. I know the plastic bed on a Tacoma seems cheesy, but in reality it may actually help with weight savings over a steel bed. Make everything you build bolt on to the frame so parts and body panels are easy to replace. The automatic transmission is the way to go in that truck.
So leaving 4k a race would be worth it to you to run a Toyota? The biggest problem with the Toyota will be the frame is not worthy. The motor mounts are weak and will break of the frame and the rules do not allow reinforcement. As for the 4wd take it out and leave it home it is not needed. A big name guy ran a Tacoma about 4-5 years ago and it sucked arse. But then again maybe it was just that guy could not get it to stay together. Just my 2 cents on topic.

Desert Son, has it right just build a 7100 at this point the 7300 entries have gone away and the 7100 entries are going up.