BITD opens up 7200 Class to new engines

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
When is Honda going to make you put the electric drivetrain in to compete against Lordstown?
I can see this happening only if they need to market an E-Ridgeline. I don't think Honda has played in the EV world at all still. Same with Toyota. Toyota has been all about hybrids. That will change over time though they are not too excited about it.

ROTCORP

Reaction
I have always been interested in the motor package. As for other motor builders and factory race engines info is easy to get, spec or open built. But the Honda motor you have is not. Does HPD have a part number for that motor and ecu as it sits turn key in your truck? Not the factory van motor but the HPD motor. What’s the price tag? Is Honda interested in providing that motor to other race trucks? Maybe offering a contingency with it like Ford does with their ecoboost? Also what Hp and Tq is the motor capable of as it is physically? I understand you have it tuned down for some reliability for your truck but if I was able to get the same exact turn key motor and ecu you have what is the most the motor can do?

Touched on it a little above but now that Honda is getting some sport utvs again are they interested in supporting others with a racer discount program or contingency winnings for teams running their cars? Just trying to get a idea how much Honda is getting involved in the sport vs just getting involved in your team.

It is a nice truck and you guys have come along way in building your race program. Congrats on that.
Everything from a manufacture has a part number including our race engine. Our engine is estimated to be around $65K. The HR35TT was initially developed for IMSA and LEMans for the prototype class so it has a restrictor plate to comply with IMSA Rules. Since all of the R&D was done with a restrictor plate, we also run the IMSA restrictor for Off-Road. Everyone likes to say its not a Van motor but the truth is that it is the same stock block, bottom end and top end off the showroom floor. They do have a version with forged internals, which obviously provides more life and reliability. However, we are running a stock block, stock internals....the differences with the race motor are the plenum/ Fuel rails, twin turbos and most importantly the tune with the Mclaren Ecu. The price to develop this racing engine is in the 7 figures of labor hours for tuning on the engine Dyno.
Honda is always interested in getting more engines out on the race track. PM me if you are interested in a HR35TT. Most likely the deal would be an engine lease program for the season similar to the way IndyCar works. At this time, Honda doesn't have Truck contingency, but I'm sure they would be open to it if more teams wanted to lease the HR35TT. I am not at liberty to talk HP or Torque, but just know its about the same as a spec TT LS engine. Colby at turn key spend the day learning about the engine, watching it on the Dyno in 2015 before he tagged it. It isn't the fire breather people think it is....but it could be if corporate budgets were not in place. It just makes sense for Honda to repurpose a race engine that is already being used in other series such as endurance sports car racing for Off Road.

Honda Powersports does have a contingency program (Ride Red) for Talon racers in the desert. Furthermore, we are set up to support other Talon racers with parts, support and engineering at the same races we participate in. The goal is to have all Honda Talon UTV racers working together like family in and out of the pits on the race track. We hope to see more Honda Talon racers coming out to race as its an incredible, reliable and durable UTV for our sport.

ROTCORP

Reaction
1. What does "ROTCORP" mean/stand for? (Don't give me any of the "It's Proctor Backwards" nonsense please...)

2. Who is your favorite crew person?

3. Who is Adam Gunns Boss?
Oh Dan...lova ya brotha. Thanks for all the Ridgeline memes! They are the best!

1) ROTCORP: Its my last name spelled backwards! Original huh!
2) Dan200 is the Best crew member! Especially in Baja...Can never have enough Baja knowledge on your crew when Baja bites!
3) I am....Bwahahahaha

ROTCORP

Reaction
What does Honda consider its objective to be in off road, and how does that translate into funding and goals? How much promotion do they actually get out of this?
A couple things come into play here. First off, the truck market (Meaning Trucks, SUV's/ Mini Vans) surpassed cars about 4-5 years ago in total vehicles sales in the US. This is for all manufactures but especially important for Honda who was previously know as a "Car" company with Civic and accord dominating sales. Not anymore....Honda Light trucks account for more than 60% of the total vehicles Honda sells on an annual basis in the US. Secondly, there has been a shift in US buyers wanting something they can occasionally take off hwy...such as camping or overloading, etc. So one of Honda's main focuses right now is to showcase the "Rugged" capabilities of the Honda truck lineup and the AWD system. Our program serves as a "Halo" effect to their current "Rugged" play. (Rugged is Corporate speak...haha) Lastly, Honda is a racing company first before engineering, being the largest engine manufacture in the world, etc. The Founder established Honda based on his need to race. "If Honda doesn't race, there is no Honda" -Soichiro Honda

Let's be honest with ourselves, there isn't an Off-Road team in the sport that is a 5 out of 5 in the promotion category. We do a lot of promotion, but truthfully, the real promotion isn't from the team level. The real promotion is from corporate level because they have way more reach....Monster, RedBull, an auto manufacture or non-endemic sponsor. So to answer your question, Honda gets a lot of promotion off the Off-Road Ridgeline activation throughout the year at auto shows, events, Indy Car races, Nationally syndicated TV commercials, print/web ads, etc. Its a main part of their marketing play and has been for at least the last 4 years. It may be boring to us off road insiders, but the general public outside of our small sport eats it up. Again, its a racing and Halo play for Honda.

ROTCORP

Reaction
When is Honda going to make you put the electric drivetrain in to compete against Lordstown?
Good question. Its coming sooner than people may think. Honda has an aggressive plan to have 1/3 of the vehicles they manufacture be 100% electric within the next 5-7years. Honda has the technology....

You may even see our team with an EV race car in 2023. Stay tuned as things are currently developing....

ROTCORP

Reaction
when can i test the Ridgeline?, PC only, i hate driving through the inland empire to get to Barstow,( real question, how much goes into the head porting?, is it cnc or old school?
You are welcome to ride in the Ridgeline at our night test in the dreaded desert of Barstow on July 29th @ 8pm.

I actually need to check with HPD on this one, but I believe very little is done with head porting since its forced induction.

ROTCORP

Reaction
I can see this happening only if they need to market an E-Ridgeline. I don't think Honda has played in the EV world at all still. Same with Toyota. Toyota has been all about hybrids. That will change over time though they are not too excited about it.
Becareful...Both Honda and Toyota know a lot more about the EV world then you may think.

You may see a 100% Electric Honda SUV racing in a desert near you in the next 2-3yrs...with a 5-8min full 800w charge in the pits without changing a battery.

tapeworm

Reaction
@ROTCORP It’s been very interesting to read how open you are about what Honda has done and where they actually value racing. You mentioned that they do a lease program for race motors for different forms and disciplines of racing, so is there any interest in offering some sort of small displacement 4 cylinder race engine that is more affordable and abundant than the current buggy options out there? Something smaller out of the civic or the likes that may withstand the abuse that would be able to go into a 1600 or class 12 style of car? Not like the old B16A motor from class 10 (which were badass btw) but something along the lines of what the ecotec package started out as.

ROTCORP

Reaction
@ROTCORP It’s been very interesting to read how open you are about what Honda has done and where they actually value racing. You mentioned that they do a lease program for race motors for different forms and disciplines of racing, so is there any interest in offering some sort of small displacement 4 cylinder race engine that is more affordable and abundant than the current buggy options out there? Something smaller out of the civic or the likes that may withstand the abuse that would be able to go into a 1600 or class 12 style of car? Not like the old B16A motor from class 10 (which were badass btw) but something along the lines of what the ecotec package started out as.
Yes, Honda Performance Development currently has a turnkey Civic Type R engine for sale and not lease through 4 HPD distributors. However, it doesn't necessarily fit into off road classes. Its a 2.0L Turbo 306HP for less than $7K. Crate engine is $6700...Controls package is another $2K,engine harness, tune, etc. So for $9K you are Ready to rip with 306-316HP. Its a reliable package and not a ticking time bomb of a high rev race engine. In my opinion, this package is affordable for what you are getting.

It was intended for road race guys racing the civic Type R, but would be cool to see someone race it in off-road.

43mod

Reaction
Geez Jeff . I wish you had thought about ever racing trophy lite ! . The 2.4 was a large factor in me getting away from it . I can only imagine how many seasons a sealed honda would go vs the few races a 2.4 might live . Keep it coming .

ROTCORP

Reaction
What is the transmission in the race Ridgeline ?
Albins ST6 w/ a custom bell housing machined in Australia. Serviced by Ron Weddle at Weddle Ind.

Side note: we love the 6 speed sequential…it’s a bit busy in the cockpit but worth it for always staying in the power curve of a limited motor.

J Prich

Reaction
Albins ST6 w/ a custom bell housing machined in Australia. Serviced by Ron Weddle at Weddle Ind.

Side note: we love the 6 speed sequential…it’s a bit busy in the cockpit but worth it for always staying in the power curve of a limited motor.
Jeff, thanks for sharing insight etc here. This stuff is podcast/streaming interview worthy IMO. Really interesting to hear about your program and how Honda’s involvement works.

firedog

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
Back to the OP who stated that older 6100 trucks can't compete with the new 6100 rules...so class 7 should allow them???? What about the class 7 trucks that cannot compete against V-8 power but could compete within the V-6 rules??? What are they supposed to do?? Class 7 has always been and I hope will always be a limited motor (V-6). If you have an older 6100 there are many classes to race in or spend the 20K to make your truck competitive in 6100, or sell your asset and move to a different class! Why change the rules for class 7 to accommodate a few?? There are literally 7 V-8 classes that the "older 6100 trucks" could choose to race in!!!!

jon coleman

Reaction
i raced early on in 1450 for fun, had to compete against v8 long travel, im 1700, had a blast , if you have to have classes to only suit somebody who must be able to win?, then they need to take up fishing or golf, anyone racing at the lower 'garage' levels Better be doing it for the number one reason , fun

Rcamp99

Reaction
Back to the OP who stated that older 6100 trucks can't compete with the new 6100 rules...so class 7 should allow them???? What about the class 7 trucks that cannot compete against V-8 power but could compete within the V-6 rules??? What are they supposed to do?? Class 7 has always been and I hope will always be a limited motor (V-6). If you have an older 6100 there are many classes to race in or spend the 20K to make your truck competitive in 6100, or sell your asset and move to a different class! Why change the rules for class 7 to accommodate a few?? There are literally 7 V-8 classes that the "older 6100 trucks" could choose to race in!!!!
Thanks for your input. Class 7 is a limited motor and prolly always will be. 7200 allowed some cheap v8 power that’s equal too the fire breathing v6’s to race. So what.

you’re in a class 7200 thread arguing about class 7 rules? Not sure I’m picking up what you are putting down.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
7/7200, you say BITD, he says most common class name for unlimited minitruck. You want to race a spec TT but can't hang in that class, he takes a 4 cylinder that is legal for the minitruck class and is happy to do it. He's putting down that there is no need or want for a V8 in the minitruck class by the guys driving actual minitrucks.

jon coleman

Reaction
7/7200, you say BITD, he says most common class name for unlimited minitruck. You want to race a spec TT but can't hang in that class, he takes a 4 cylinder that is legal for the minitruck class and is happy to do it. He's putting down that there is no need or want for a V8 in the minitruck class by the guys driving actual minitrucks.
yup, he is in this thread in a ' pre emptive' strike on the enemy ( v-8s in mini trucks)so the posts are Germaine to the conversation, Un like mine😵

Rcamp99

Reaction
Thread is specific to BITD and 7200 class in BITD. Not sure why he’s going after the “OP” (me) about the 7 class in other organizations.