BITD opens up 7200 Class to new engines

10 shot

Reaction
Honda has the ECU on lockdown. We aren't allowed to do anything to it except put it in the truck and take it back out and send it back to them. lol

I know in the very beginning they played with higher boost and it didn't work out so well in a big truck running in 100 degree heat through dust. It's all about reliability now and it's dialed in. More HP leads to more problems. Desert racing is all about reliability and not driving over your head.
Ahhhh I had no idea it was that much of a honda deal all secret factory stuff. So its probably more like 900 hp then........🤣

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
Ahhhh I had no idea it was that much of a honda deal all secret factory stuff. So its probably more like 900 hp then........🤣
Only when the V-tec kicks in

hqdefault.jpg

J Prich

Reaction
@pdailey out of curiosity how has the Honda marketing folks leveraged the Ridgeline in advertising? I haven't seen much personally and what I have seen had nothing to do with specific races or race results. I assume that while winning is obviously important to the factory effort, it's not the key point driving marketing/advertising at this stage anyway. My assumption is that Honda is getting value moreso from R&D than they are publicity from winning races. Again all just guesses on my part, curious to get your input.

EDIT - For the sake of transparency, what I'm getting at here is that my guess is Honda is not in on the Ridgeline because they think winning an off road race is going to get more people to buy a Honda. I assume it is rooted in the same kind of stuff Chevy gets from the Hall programs. These companies aren't touting Baja and other race wins as a marketing strategy, like we saw back in the 80s. At best they leverage these results as proof of durability, but more likely the value they get is from product R&D so ultimately the results and class size are not the driving factor for their support.

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
@pdailey out of curiosity how has the Honda marketing folks leveraged the Ridgeline in advertising? I haven't seen much personally and what I have seen had nothing to do with specific races or race results. I assume that while winning is obviously important to the factory effort, it's not the key point driving marketing/advertising at this stage anyway. My assumption is that Honda is getting value moreso from R&D than they are publicity from winning races. Again all just guesses on my part, curious to get your input.

EDIT - For the sake of transparency, what I'm getting at here is that my guess is Honda is not in on the Ridgeline because they think winning an off road race is going to get more people to buy a Honda. I assume it is rooted in the same kind of stuff Chevy gets from the Hall programs. These companies aren't touting Baja and other race wins as a marketing strategy, like we saw back in the 80s. At best they leverage these results as proof of durability, but more likely the value they get is from product R&D so ultimately the results and class size are not the driving factor for their support.
Jeff would know better than me. I do know that they've filmed new TV commercials earlier this year. They use it for social media too. More so on the racing side. I've seen it on TV commercials every once in a while.

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
I have run a truck with a stock ecoboost and we have had very good luck with it. But it is all stock with inspection tags.

So what is the dyno numbers? Or can you not say just like no one can look at the motor due to your contract with Honda and running their factory racing motor. What transmission are you running?
They keep that stuff hush hush. We run the Albins 6 speed sequential with a converter. I've driven everything there is to drive in this sport. I know people *cough ROBBY GORDON cough* thinks this thing makes huge horsepower. It doesn't. Like I said, it's right on par with a newer Spec TT. Those V8's have good torque though. Thats where the magic is in desert racing. ;)

J Prich

Reaction
Point being, I haven't seen anything from Honda that leads me to believe they have tried to influence classes, rules, etc to prevent others from fairly competing against the Ridgeline. This is not a case of a manufacturer trying to control the narrative to call themselves "winners". There are plenty of viable motor options available, especially with these rules, that would make very competitive competition in 7200 for that truck.

J Prich

Reaction
So can anyone build the exact same truck as that one?
I'm assuming yes. Unless I'm misunderstanding here, Honda's support is basically just ECU and motor. The entire chassis came from TSCO...I think? The only thing Honda on it is motor/ecu. I'm assuming without factory support Honda wouldn't give you that part but in theory you could literally duplicate this truck and put your LS3 in or whatever and go show these guys up...

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
I'm assuming yes. Unless I'm misunderstanding here, Honda's support is basically just ECU and motor. The entire chassis came from TSCO...I think? The only thing Honda on it is motor/ecu. I'm assuming without factory support Honda wouldn't give you that part but in theory you could literally duplicate this truck and put your LS3 in or whatever and go show these guys up...
100% correct. Whether you can go buy this motor package from HPD is up to them. This same motor package is used in all the 24 hour endurance cars and they're not all "factory" Honda teams. Money talks!

Like I said, the Ford Ecoboost is right there on power too.

MIKE S

Reaction
Website
www.shaffersoffroad.com
So can anyone build the exact same truck as that one?
I asked Score the same thing And could not get a strait answer. They will not confirm the engine rules and if the Honda is within the rules. I would rather run a Handa engine then the Ford 3.5 but we are at a point that we need to make a change so Ford it will be.

Last edited:

10 shot

Reaction
I asked Score the same thing And could not get a strait answer. They will not confirm the engine rules and if the Honda is within the rules. I would rather run a Handa engine then the Ford 3.5 but we are at a point that we need to make a change so Ford it will be.
That's the thing it seems like the Honda rules are different than everyone else's. Just a weird situation to have a factory sponsored truck that really fits no class that's competitive. I don't get it.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Just a weird situation to have a factory sponsored truck that really fits no class that's competitive. I don't get it.
Honda wants a ridgeline racing offroad.

Honda wants it to actually have a Honda motor.

Honda Does not make a V-8

Wanna open up 6100/Spec TT to the Ridgeline?
(I'm sure the boss is down to have new numbers made for the truck.)
Oh, wait. Then the mantra will be that Honda bribed the sanctioning bodies to legalize the Ridgeline.

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com

Oh, wait. Then the mantra will be that Honda bribed the sanctioning bodies to legalize the Ridgeline.
Next thing you know, Ridgelines will be the #1 selling pickup in America and everyone will be building them to race in the desert.

Last edited:

10 shot

Reaction
Great truck as I said but its racing itself for the win ! I guess it is better to win a race with 2 other guys in your class with old trucks and 1/2 the hp than race in tt and get a 10th. Or now with the new rules probably 5 trucks in class🤣

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Great truck as I said but its racing itself for the win ! I guess it is better to win a race with 2 other guys in your class with old trucks and 1/2 the hp than race in tt and get a 10th. Or now with the new rules probably 5 trucks in class🤣
We are scored against the others in our class but we really do push to see how we stack up against the 6100's. We were 27th overall this past weekend.

usmcgunrock

Reaction

How would it do with a turbo 400 instead of that 6 speed?