BITD opens up 7200 Class to new engines

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
a Good Reid Case TH400 with close ratio is $16-18K, TQ converter is $2K, Underdrive is $9K So somewhere around $27-30K all in. And you get a crappy 3 speed that eats a ton of power. LOL

Mike
It's a good thing SpecTT class rules limited the transmissions to save cost. Oh......

pdailey

Pug Dad
RDC Crypto
Are you guys running a converter? I just looked up the albins. I was under the impression it would be more than it is.
Exactly. And yes, we run a converter. The only draw back is you cave to turn the truck off to use reverse and turn it off again to get it back into first. Just like the Class 1 cars

Jerry Zaiden

RDC Crypto
Website
www.camburgEngineering.com
The new 7200 rules should be as follows.

1) OPEN V6 same as now
2) OPEN Turbo V6 up to 3.5L
3) For the budget guys spec tagged 525hp engine
4) 90" wide same as SCORE
5) Solid rear axle

Peace out.... No other rules.

This is not 6100, has nothing to do with 6100. The 6100 class is great and here to stay.

In todays market every most manufactures are going with 3.5L or slammer V6 Turbo engines. Around the globe most racing is Turbo V6 engines etc. This class should be looked at as an unlimited TRUCK class one step down from the TT class. This is a class that Honda, Toyota, Ford, Chevy, Nissan, etc can get involved in, fund, test, etc... I look at this as a class that would be recognized as a new premier class that would hold weight for sponsors. This is a class that would allow all the builders to get behind to build trucks that can race around the globe.

Now why the SPEC V8? There are trucks out there owned by teams on a lower budget that this V8 will give them the power they need without breaking the bank to compete and have fun. There are tons of 1450 trucks, 7 open trucks etc not racing because in all reality they don't have a good option for power. This V8 gives them that.

Last edited:

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
So it appears no rules for the transmission or will it be an OEM type transmission keeping out the Weddles, Fortins and others.
Why keep out the Weddles and Fortins when a built TH400 costs just as much?

Jerry Zaiden

RDC Crypto
Website
So it appears no rules for the transmission or will it be an OEM type transmission keeping out the Weddles, Fortins and others.

7200 is dead. Only way there will be more entries is one of two things.

1) Factory involvement V6 Turbo programs
2) Older trucks can install cheap power. Only Logical answer is current tagged spec V8.

All other things like trans etc would be open like it is now.

bajafox

Accepted
RDC Crypto
7200 is dead. Only way there will be more entries is one of two things.

1) Factory involvement V6 Turbo programs
2) Older trucks can install cheap power. Only Logical answer is current tagged spec V8.

All other things like trans etc would be open like it is now.
Its so dead Fish is gonna race RECORD next week with 12 entries just for fun lol

ltr450rider

RDC Crypto
I was just thinking of the oem involvement keeping it for the manufactures products. I understand that all the trans are costly.
I think it would be in the manufactures best interest to only have an involvement with engine and ECU at the level these trucks compete at today, much like the Honda Ridgeline.

Most mass produced drivetrain and chassis components have proven to not hold up so well in todays pace of racing, hence the use of specialty gearboxes and custom tube chassis in the majority of the faster classes. It would be very costly for any major manufactures to design and produce their own one-off drivetrain and chassis to hold up for a season of racing.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
I personally get manufacturer involvement for R&D purposes but I really don't think in this day and age that that involvement is going to sell more units. MAYBE the EV folks...but I just can't imagine that the big car makers see much value in touting wins in off road racing as a way to push more vehicle sales. That ship has mostly sailed I'm guessing.

Jerry Zaiden

RDC Crypto
Website
I personally get manufacturer involvement for R&D purposes but I really don't think in this day and age that that involvement is going to sell more units. MAYBE the EV folks...but I just can't imagine that the big car makers see much value in touting wins in off road racing as a way to push more vehicle sales. That ship has mostly sailed I'm guessing.
Trucks sales account for more than 60% of auto sales in the USA. With competition the manufactures will need to market product. When this happens there will be truck racing supported by the manufacture.

"And because trucks are much more profitable. Light trucks accounted for a record 75.9% share of U.S. auto sales in 2020" FORBES

J Prich

RDC Crypto
Trucks sales account for more than 60% of auto sales in the USA. With competition the manufactures will need to market product. When this happens there will be truck racing supported by the manufacture.

"And because trucks are much more profitable. Light trucks accounted for a record 75.9% share of U.S. auto sales in 2020" FORBES
Oh I 100% agree with that part of it...the importance of light and full size truck sales to manufacturers. No dispute there at all. What I question is what would make off road racing these days be worth a major manufacturers investment effort as a way to sell more vehicles. By and large I personally don't see them finding a lot of sales/marketing value in touting a Chevy/Ford/Toyota/Whatever off road race truck versus what they have been doing for the last two decades now...showing them hauling hay and construction equipment while demonstrating all of the creature comforts for urbanites. I just personally am not sure that off road racing as it stands now provides a big enough platform for manufacturers to see value there.

Not trying to slander here...just being honest...what is BITD's big ticket event? V2R? If you're a marketing guy from a big auto maker, what do you see as the incentive from a BITD race/series that makes them believe that is going to help them sell more trucks to average Americans? Not only that but in today's political climate I think those companies are even less inclined to advertise/market through something like desert racing because of the potential blow back. I think the rule changes are a win if it ultimately helps get 8-10 7200 entries from guys who previously would not have come out. But my assumption is there is still not much reason for manufacturers to support this.

Jerry Zaiden

RDC Crypto
Website
Oh I 100% agree with that part of it...the importance of light and full size truck sales to manufacturers. No dispute there at all. What I question is what would make off road racing these days be worth a major manufacturers investment effort as a way to sell more vehicles. By and large I personally don't see them finding a lot of sales/marketing value in touting a Chevy/Ford/Toyota/Whatever off road race truck versus what they have been doing for the last two decades now...showing them hauling hay and construction equipment while demonstrating all of the creature comforts for urbanites. I just personally am not sure that off road racing as it stands now provides a big enough platform for manufacturers to see value there.

Not trying to slander here...just being honest...what is BITD's big ticket event? V2R? If you're a marketing guy from a big auto maker, what do you see as the incentive from a BITD race/series that makes them believe that is going to help them sell more trucks to average Americans? Not only that but in today's political climate I think those companies are even less inclined to advertise/market through something like desert racing because of the potential blow back. I think the rule changes are a win if it ultimately helps get 8-10 7200 entries from guys who previously would not have come out. But my assumption is there is still not much reason for manufacturers to support this.

IMO there are only a few races that really move the needle.

1) King of the Hammers
2) Baja 1000
3) Mint 400
4) 3/4 way move the needle Vegas to Reno
5) 3/4 way move the needle Baja 500

Now this is not a list of best races for racers for fun etc. But for What sponsors care about. IMO

The manufactures as of now IMO are blowing it big time from a marketing perspective. They sell so many trucks and like you said market them moving around hay and equipment. I feel that the only manufactures that are consistent right now is FORD with Loren Healy and Vaughn and a Bronco Baja program. And Honday with Proctors program. This is much more than any other manufactures at this moment... I can see in time a few others getting on board with programs Toyota, Chevy and Jeep. The companies like Hyundai and Nissan could come in and rock the industry if they new how to market. Times have changed and people buy products based on influence and excitement. IMO it really dosent matter if it's a TT or a stock truck. They just need to tell a great story.

Now back to the numbers in 7200. I fell the spec V8 just makes it easy and fun for people to get involved. You can race it, prerun with it and play with it. The standard expensive race V6 or a Turbo V6 is more of a true race thing that we are used to. But the V8 is just fun and exciting, cheap, and easy. IMO rules can be stupid and they create controversy. The simpler we make the rules the better.