BITD & other organizations pit lane "pass through" mandatory ?

Ikaika

Reaction
Hello off-road racing community.......
I'm new to the game and am looking for a little info / insight / opinions on the topic of mandatory pit lane pass through.
It dawned on me this morning that most forms of motor racing involves a dedicated "pit lane"........but it also seems as though a racer would have the option to bypass the pit lane at speed by having stayed on the designated race course to avoid the "pit lane delta".
I'm curious to know if races promoted by the BITD organization and others make pit lane travel mandatory as it is part of the course.....OR.......is it an option per racer needs.
I guess my real question is, why do a "pass through" pit lane if service is not necessary ??
Any and all input will provide better understanding of the "hows & whys" of this topic.

cubed

Reaction
Most stateside races the pit area is part of the course with a mandatory speed limit, exception is some of the two day short course races like the old Blue water desert challenge, or the current SNORE Laughlin and Battle at Prim. These use a dedicated pit lane that is optional.

Fourstroker

Reaction
No mandatory pit pass throughs for local races at MORE. They place the pits 150 feet off the race line

frozenh2o

Reaction
With one exception (the UTV World Championships), BITD is speed controlled pit access, no bypass. I think it's more of a land use and spectator/safety issue than anything else. There is no legal access to the full-speed race course, ever.

Fourstroker

Reaction
Though not pit zones, there are full speed spectator zones at Parker, The Mint and Laughlin. Parker especially has LOTS of locals watching from many unspecified locations

steve0we

Reaction
Though not pit zones, there are full speed spectator zones at Parker, The Mint and Laughlin. Parker especially has LOTS of locals watching from many unspecified locations

You should have came out to Lucerne to hang out with the class 5U guys. It was like the old days...….. When the pit speed wasn't 5.2mph!

Ikaika

Reaction
Hello Racers & Enthusiasts,
Thank you for commenting on this topic......I'm learning more & more.
It seems to me that in the "spirit" of racing, the pit lane ( main pit & other pit areas ) would be a dedicated area well off the racing line to provide a more strategic process for each racer in their pursuit of victory rather than having a "speed limit" through each pit area.
I'm still learning......please enlighten me with whatever I'm missing on this subject.
Cheers !

Fourstroker

Reaction
You should have came out to Lucerne to hang out with the class 5U guys. It was like the old days...….. When the pit speed wasn't 5.2mph!
I was out there all weekend....spectator class this race. Loved seeing race speed through the remote pit