• Forum membership has its advantages....

BITD Parker 425 MavTV coverage

MTPyle

Just watched the P425 and had a hard time not throwing something at the screen.

I hate to be negative as I love that they even do these shows but someone needs to proof them before the go out. Or someone needs to be commentating that knows what went on in that race. I dont know the guys that were on there, I think I met the Lucas oil guy once at a race and he seemed pretty cool and actually interested in learning about the race and racers. So I know they are not idiots. But they need help.

I get that they are watching the video back later and making it up as they go but come on. They said Letner had an issue in qualifying because a fan got too close to the race course. Then the guy lectured fans on getting too close. LOL I don't think that was the problem with Harley's qualifying run. Nobody can be within a mile of the course to stay safe from Harley. Haha JK

He said the new 6100 rules allowed for 525 Cubic inch engine. I get nobody is perfect but its a super short video and I think half the stuff they said was not correct. They had no idea what went on in the race at all.

Oh and that fake engine sound they make when they are showing Heli footage is so bad. Its like someone is revving up a lawn mower as a sound effect for a 1000hp TT.

I don't know who supplies the video footage to them. But it seems pretty focused on just a few drivers. we broke down at mile 30 so I am not expecting to see us but there were a lot of fast note worthy trucks that didn't make the show. So much drama in the race that was left out.

OK Rant over. I guess I need to shut my mouth about things I know nothing about. But man it was frustrating to watch. BTW I have watched all the episodes from the last season also and they are all the same.

Mike

ekozy39

Haven't seen it, but the "just be glad it's on TV" is always the response to poor production of off-road racing. Almost every race I see edits from the same video companies that share 2-3 minutes of edits from the same turn,(understand can't be everywhere at once) and outro with sponsor logos and don't share the final result or post race recap.. So after watching your 3-4 minute edit, how'd you do?!
I'm sure there are some very talented content guys out there, could definitely be better.

ltr450rider

There are quite a few threads on this forum with the same context and feeling. We as fans, enthusiasts, and team members are much more "in the know" about the details of the sport and what has usually transpired at each event.

I have always felt the same about the "after the race production" aspect of these shows and the details regarding the commentary. It seems like the commentary is not coming from anyone who attended or even did much research and follow up with what actually transpired, so we get the on the fly commentary that doesn't quite add up to what actually happened. I also don't care for the "live" commentary that is obviously not live.

Some of the early Mint 400 recap shows from a few years ago were pretty good in the sense that they were basically telling the story about the race and how it transpired, more like a documentary rather than have live commentary over recorded footage. This is my preferred way to view these types of recap shows as I believe it gives the production crew a chance to gather information about the events in the race and tell the story with more truth and detail.

I also think the production value of these "live" type recap shows is on the, dare I say it, lower end of the pay scale and what the promoter is paying for. I would guess that most promoters would be willing to pay more for higher production value, but that would probably mean raising entry fees for the competitors, and we all know how most desert racers feel about paying more for entry fees!

JerryB

Agreed Mike, I watched it too and was thinking many of the same things. My DVR auto records all of them and this has been an ongoing issue with the coverage for quite a while. Another complaint I have, during all this downtime lately, I have been watching a lot of the old races (from the 90's) on Youtube...... reminiscing, and forgot how the television coverage back then covered the entire field. You will see everything from the class 1, 8, TT all the way to 1600, 7S and even 9 cars. Now, it's TT, Spec and a few 1's (no offense Mike). I know I'm beating a dead horse on this topic, but take away all the other classes and the races are no longer financially viable to put on for promoters, or the cost to the entrants goes WAY UP. I'm not naive, I recognize the value a million dollar race car blasting across the desert has when marketing the show to the public, BUT, there's just as many fans out there cheering on a 1600, 1700 and UTV. Just my .01 cent, I had .02 but coronavirus has given me too much free time to spend money on the car.

MTPyle

Jerry

you are right. All classes need some exposure. And the fact that they only show the top 10 of TT, 6100, and class 1 is silly. Why not show everyone?

i think there is a lot of room for improvement.

Not that anyone is asking me but I think if the producers had a class rep they could get info from after the race that would help a lot. Each class rep could get some video clips and some stories of drama from the race. They could have a 1 hour show filled with great content that many many more people would be interested in watching.

I guess the best would be to actually tell some stories rather than just watch back some video footage.

Mike

swiftracing5

Awesome footage, decent production, better than SCOREs coverage imo. Disappointed with grant Langston, he pulled out every racing cliche in the book and I’ve never seen someone so detached from a race he/she was calling.
The dubbed motor sounds has been around since the 90s ABC coverage. Damn whoever started that!

JerryB

Maybe Dave will chime in on this topic..... I watched both of the KOH events broadcast over last couple weeks on world of x-games, they did an entire 1 hour episode on the "lower" classes. I've been around desert racing a long time and love watching the "premier" classes as much as the next guy, but I appreciate the coverage of the UTV and EMC because I understand all the months of work, family and financial sacrifices many of these guys and gals put in to compete in an event like this; putting cars together in their garage and convincing friends to come out and put in their time for just a moment of glory when you finish. It's the backbone and roots of the sport....... okay, off soapbox now:rolleyes:

Honda48X

If you have ever watched Dakar that is produced in less then a day. I like how they do their shows.

APDLOP

Just watched the P425 and had a hard time not throwing something at the screen.

I hate to be negative as I love that they even do these shows but someone needs to proof them before the go out. Or someone needs to be commentating that knows what went on in that race. I dont know the guys that were on there, I think I met the Lucas oil guy once at a race and he seemed pretty cool and actually interested in learning about the race and racers. So I know they are not idiots. But they need help.

I get that they are watching the video back later and making it up as they go but come on. They said Letner had an issue in qualifying because a fan got too close to the race course. Then the guy lectured fans on getting too close. LOL I don't think that was the problem with Harley's qualifying run. Nobody can be within a mile of the course to stay safe from Harley. Haha JK

He said the new 6100 rules allowed for 525 Cubic inch engine. I get nobody is perfect but its a super short video and I think half the stuff they said was not correct. They had no idea what went on in the race at all.

Oh and that fake engine sound they make when they are showing Heli footage is so bad. Its like someone is revving up a lawn mower as a sound effect for a 1000hp TT.

I don't know who supplies the video footage to them. But it seems pretty focused on just a few drivers. we broke down at mile 30 so I am not expecting to see us but there were a lot of fast note worthy trucks that didn't make the show. So much drama in the race that was left out.

OK Rant over. I guess I need to shut my mouth about things I know nothing about. But man it was frustrating to watch. BTW I have watched all the episodes from the last season also and they are all the same.

Mike
I'll said the 90s TV shows looks more entertainment. I know now they put more classes in the shows but haven't talk the right information.

Just look at this one

Jerry Zaiden

I have tried and tried and tried to get TV actually entertaining. They don't listen. They also correct me if I am wrong don't have General Tire money paying for the show. Not sure who is paying now. When they make changes good sponsors pull out. Lucas Oil also doesn't have Cameron Steele any more. He should be a commentator he is great at it. I would help out and I also know Jim Beaver would help. We would all know who is who and about the vehicle the racer is driving. Another huge one is who really gets MAV TV?

jon coleman

all my racing coverage " fixx" used to come from the dusty times, sdor, off road advertiser, & Dave Despain.oh, And the occasional bk1 coverage from one of the big 3, abc nbc cbs, much simpler times, best part ,No social media w idiots like me bitc ing about idiots like me

Bravo

I was a bit annoyed and cringed as I watched the Laughlin race. Man so much is skipped nor not accurately portrayed. It needs to be longer for one. Production budget seemed quite limited, but maybe there isn't enough money in it to make it profitable. Its crazy how little some of these shows cost ( or dont cost) to make. I just don't see how they can put an ounce of what goes into a class race in 10-15 min of air time. But hey, at least the foot is in the door. Only another 50 years until we get an FIA/F1 production budget 😆

swiftracing5

I have tried and tried and tried to get TV actually entertaining. They don't listen. They also correct me if I am wrong don't have General Tire money paying for the show. Not sure who is paying now. When they make changes good sponsors pull out. Lucas Oil also doesn't have Cameron Steele any more. He should be a commentator he is great at it. I would help out and I also know Jim Beaver would help. We would all know who is who and about the vehicle the racer is driving. Another huge one is who really gets MAV TV?
Yea you’d think they would produce a more thought out show for people who actually pay for mavtv, not bubblegum trophy truck stuff like Mainstream shows.