BITD - Race Director Leaves

havahockey

Flipper
RDC Crypto
Website
www.highrevphoto.com
Looks like Jeff Philips decided to step away from BITD as Race Director. Who do you guys think should take over? He was always good with the media as was Donald before him.

“Due to irreconcilable differences with BITD ownership, I am resigning my position as Race Director with BITD effective immediately May 5, 2022.
I have cherished the last few years working to make BITD and desert racing stronger, safer, and more enjoyable for all involved. I have had the honor of meeting and becoming friends with so many amazing people, and will always consider you my friends and will miss seeing each of you at the finish line.”

Advertising supports this site

J Prich

RDC Crypto
Over the last two years I have come to appreciate how challenging this role is. A lot to speculate about regarding why this happened, what it means for the org going forward, etc but I'm confident that losing a person in this role mid season is a very challenging situation. The hard part about finding a replacement IMO is that there are not a lot of people out there who have first hand experience doing this. That is a very small demographic to try to recruit from. That's not to say you can't find someone that knows enough to figure out how to make this go but V2R has got to be a pretty complex event to organize and manage so having to fill that gap with a 90 day window until go time is tough.

I said something similar to this when the Donald and Liz split happened and I feel the same here...I get why no one involved would want to share details of their reasoning and circumstances with the mob, but I'd be personally really interested to hear more about why this happened. Also I'm openly admitting my bias here but several years ago there was a lot of speculation (some of which still happens now...) about why Matt and Josh decided to move away from BITD. The internet talking point resolves around the usual simplistic stuff like greed and money, etc but when you take your benefit of the BITD doubt glasses off and look at how things have taken shape in the post Casey era, perhaps it helps shed light on the real root causes. As a fan of this sport I want everyone to succeed for the benefit of all so no ill will on my part towards anyone but when you look at trends and start to see obvious patterns emerge it's difficult NOT to conclude that something is amiss somewhere.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
www.eleusisdigitalcanvas.com
Haha I wouldn’t want to deal with a bunch of guys like me. No way would I want Jeff’s job. Especially having to answer to two chiefs with a history of being difficult to work with.

I don’t think Donald or Jeff were the problem. Both of those guys are the real deal and good guys.

I asked for a Future credit for my entry fee that I paid for Silverstate. Didn’t get a response. Doubt I will see that ever again. In contrast I let Racingtrax know I can’t race before the race and got a refund.

The best bet the Folks have now is to sell to MM, SCORE, or Dave Cole. But the price will be a lot less than what folks think it’s worth. They should have taken the deal Donald offered before he left.

Mike

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
You wanna get two different answers to the same question, Ask Brian and Darrel the same question.
The staff changes at BITD are telling their own story, biggest one is the loss of decades of knowledge in the people who make the races happen, the volunteers.

Tom_Willis

RDC Crypto
"The best bet the Folks have now is to sell to MM, SCORE, or Dave Cole". Does that mean the future event dates and locations are included, or would a new owner have to start all over with the dreaded BLM?

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
You wanna get two different answers to the same question, Ask Brian and Darrel the same question.
The staff changes at BITD are telling their own story, biggest one is the loss of decades of knowledge in the people who make the races happen, the volunteers.

You are right there are always two sides to every story and I don’t think Jeff was perfect by any means.

But when you look at a company structure I can tell you that buisness will not be successful with those two trying to tell a third guy what to do. Too many chiefs. That’s a basic problem regardless of the personality’s involved.

I have personally dealt with all the players on individual basis and I think they are all good guys. But a bunch of good guys don’t always make a good team.

At some point when you get divorced a few times you have to start wondering if it’s you. Haha

Mike

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
I doubt you would ever see BITD sold to any of the mentioned parties above. First and foremost Roger/SCORE, but stranger and dumber things have happened.
Martellis would be my choice but they need to learn the ability to run a series first. Its more than media and hype, but they might have the people to pull it off.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
"The best bet the Folks have now is to sell to MM, SCORE, or Dave Cole". Does that mean the future event dates and locations are included, or would a new owner have to start all over with the dreaded BLM?
Speculating x2 here but IF they sold, presumably the new owner would likely be under a probationary period with new permits. Presumably BITD has already been working on the permits for their most upcoming races as far as 8-12 months out I'd guess.

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
Best in the Desert is promising a series revise for next season internally, my understanding is Silver State is not on the schedule next year but some other stuff is added.
In my opinion the series is stale and needs a revise, we will see what they can pull off.
Donald/Legacy is putting on some different stuff but still needs to pull more racers to make it viable, the UTV racers are those numbers, where the UTVs go, the series seem to do better.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
Still a bit of Hatfield/McCoy playing out here as a result of the split I think. BITD has had the benefit of the doubt and brand recognition in the post Casey era so they've been able to maintain fairly well but the strain of the split both in terms of racers and manpower is a tough challenge to overcome. They have an established formula but the people who make it all go are vital and without those strong, experienced folks to get things done it becomes really challenging.

Interesting watching the ebb and flow of perceptions over the last two years or so.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
I love how we can just solve any problem on RDC. Already have a buyer for it. We just need to come up with a price and done deal. Haha

Mike

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
Whatever the number is assuming they wouid even sell it’s a lot lower than it was before Donald left. They have unfortunately gone down in value ever since. Can’t say I am surprised, kind of saw that coming.

I don’t know where I heard this number but I remember hearing $3M was offered and they didn’t except. Not confirmed and just from memory. And I honestly don’t remember who told me that. Could have been on a Zoltar ticket.

Mike

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
Your numbers are not wrong, that particular suitor probably would not be the best promoter for off road, but who knows.
What is BITD, its a few trucks, trailers, box vans and timing equipment. Casey used to get one free truck a year from Ford, he would add it too the fleet for event support, the superduties and F-150s marked with BITD are well known, now its new Raptors for the 2 brothers, the rest of the fleet is forgotten. And a bunch of cones.
The real value is the rolodex of contacts, that left with Donald, the road graders, water trucks, BLM contacts, Ranchers etc, thats the value.