BITD Silver State 300 April 28th-30th

Total Loss

RDC Crypto
Not exactly true.....

I was one of those UTV's, had a truck directly in front of me and a few mixed in behind me (if I remember correctly, one was directly behind me too). I was very uncomfortable with it and I did express this to Donald, after the race.
If you are referring to the Legacy Baja Nevada I walked the staging area on day 2 and relayed all heavier vehicles starting behind us to the driver for a heads up count.
We all scratched our heads with the setup but just shut up and raced.
I think everyone survived.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
If you are referring to the Legacy Baja Nevada I walked the staging area on day 2 and relayed all heavier vehicles starting behind us to the driver for a heads up count.
And probably 99% of the time everyone WILL survive. But god forbid the one time they don’t.

Advertising supports this site

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
www.eleusisdigitalcanvas.com

Actually someone almost got killed on that day and it was due to the UTV in front of us. The closest we have ever been to being in a bad accident.

So in fact that scenario was bad and super close to major injuries or loss of life.

Mike

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
Actually someone almost got killed on that day and it was due to the UTV in front of us. The closest we have ever been to being in a bad accident.

So in fact that scenario was bad and super close to major injuries or loss of life.

Mike
UTV in front is to blame?
Who is at fault in rear-end collisions typically?

Wouldn’t changing a flat while being passed by a UTV put you in the same situation?

Genuine questions.

Last edited:

Bro_Gill

Live. Laugh. Love.
RDC Crypto
Easy fix- MAXIMUM VEHICLE WEIGHT WILL BE 5000 POUNDS.

Solved.

As Moss pointed out and has been in my head the whole time, the Jackal is a lite weight Class 1, less than 5K if I remember correctly. what are they suppose to race in? And the argument about heavier cars not continuing a race when passed by lighter cars and you guys poo pooing it- I bet if you look, you will se the majority of take outs during races are TT that had problems and got passed by slower lighter cars and wrecked them later trying to pass. The reality is, too many heavy truck guys think driving blind in the dust is their right because they paid for a big heavy truck, little cars be damned. Now we have people trying to ban a light car that ABSOLUTELY MEETS EVERY RULE for class 1 because, even though none of them got close enough to hit it because it was so fast, you want it banned from class 1 because you might hurt it?

J Prich

RDC Crypto
I'm asking this question simply and concisely...is it a safety risk to have vehicles like UTVs racing at full speed in dust, etc, with TTs, 6100s, etc? It's a simple yes or no question.

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm asking this question simply and concisely...is it a safety risk to have vehicles like UTVs racing at full speed in dust, etc, with TTs, 6100s, etc? It's a simple yes or no question.
Oh brother. Nobody is saying it is not a risk. Racing is risky. Period. That’s why there are waivers. Nobody is being forced to start in the Unlimited Class here.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
Oh brother. Nobody is saying it is not a risk. Racing is risky. Period. That’s why there are waivers.
If everyone signs waivers and racing is risky so deal with it, why isn't anyone pushing back on all these mandatory things like helmets, belts, neck restraints, and fire suits? Hell people have bear wearing all of those things and still got hurt so why bother trying to mitigate the risk? Sign the waiver, be a man, and do whatever you want yeah?

Bro_Gill

Live. Laugh. Love.
RDC Crypto
If your goal is to eliminate all risk, then ban racing. Otherwise, this is a non-starter. Every race, regardless of starting order, classes involved, etc... has risk and at some point, a lighter car gets in front of a heavier car. At that point, regardless of whether is a TT versus and 11 car or a Class 2000 truck versus SxS, if the drivers drive over their heads, danger ensues. If the driver of the heavier vehicle isn't driving blind at speed and ramming his way through the pack, this conversation never happens.

Bro_Gill

Live. Laugh. Love.
RDC Crypto
If everyone signs waivers and racing is risky so deal with it, why isn't anyone pushing back on all these mandatory things like helmets, belts, neck restraints, and fire suits? Hell people have bear wearing all of those things and still got hurt so why bother trying to mitigate the risk? Sign the waiver, be a man, and do whatever you want yeah?
People did push back on neck restraints, it took years for them to become so common that the reg was easy to implement. Adding weight to class ones so they weigh the same as a TT is just dumb.

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
Nice straw man.

Race director has safety rules with regards to helmets, belts, neck restraints, and fire suits. If you don’t meet existing requirements, you don’t get to race.

Guthries vehicle and safety gear met all existing requirements.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
If your goal is to eliminate all risk, then ban racing. Otherwise, this is a non-starter. Every race, regardless of starting order, classes involved, etc... has risk and at some point, a lighter car gets in front of a heavier car. At that point, regardless of whether is a TT versus and 11 car or a Class 2000 truck versus SxS, if the drivers drive over their heads, danger ensues. If the driver of the heavier vehicle isn't driving blind at speed and ramming his way through the pack, this conversation never happens.
The total number of people in these 25+ pages that have suggested that we should eliminate all risk in racing is zero.

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
The total number of people in these 25+ pages that have suggested that we should eliminate all risk in racing is zero.
All risk? Sure, zero.

This PARTICULAR risk? 6 at least.
MTPyle
JP
10shot
RPrice
Hagle1
Hagle2

Let’s focus on this particular risk rather than building straw men.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
People did push back on neck restraints, it took years for them to become so common that the reg was easy to implement. Adding weight to class ones so they weigh the same as a TT is just dumb.
Agreed. Personally never advocated for that either.

LAZY-H

Large Member
RDC Crypto
This thread be like……
E7A19D8C-C9C5-4228-ABD0-F0A5B6B9FFC8.gif

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
Racing is risky but it shouldn’t include one ounce of stupidity. There’s enough drunk a holes and people driving backwards on course as it is. As a competitor in what should be the top tier of racing (SCORE or BITD) you should be competent in every aspect. The Speed UTV may fit in the rules but so does a Yamaha Rhino.

A UTV in Baja would be run down so quickly that it would create even more headaches for guys that ARE ACTUALLY JUST TRYING TO RACE THEIR CLASS. No one wants to deal with more unnecessary traffic or dust.

This thread has become nauseating. The idea that a Red Bull driver placed high in a UTV gives every jerk off in the sport without common sense that they should do it too. Get in your lane and stay humble.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
In spite of the circular arguing to argue stuff, there probably has been some valid and interesting points raised in here. If no one tries to do this again all of this is pretty moot anyway. Well, in fairness it's all moot regardless because orgs are mostly going to do what they want regardless of what is said here.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
www.eleusisdigitalcanvas.com
Nice straw man.

Race director has safety rules with regards to helmets, belts, neck restraints, and fire suits. If you don’t meet existing requirements, you don’t get to race.

Guthries vehicle and safety gear met all existing requirements.

So now you are saying it’s up to the orgs to provide safety through rules?

What happened to man up? Who needs helmets? I mean you signed a waiver accepting the risk.

I will admit I have never seen this side of MG. For sure a turning point for me about you. I am actually surprised at your stupidity on this subject.

I have absolute first hand experience that starting UTV mixed in with heavy metal caused a unsafe situation.

It’s simple. If i Start behind a 6100 I know I can nerf them and it’s all good. I can charge thru the dust and if I hit the back of a 6100 or even Class 1 we will all be OK. They are made for it. I have done so many times.

Not true with a UTV. If I hit a UTV or light buggy with a 30mph speed difference it will most likely end the day for the Light buggy and may be worse.

So because of those facts above it changes the situation. I can not charge Thru the dust knowing there is a light buggy lurking up there. So I have to play conservative and take my own risk to make sure we don’t hurt or end the day of the light buggy.

These are facts that have played out in real life. It’s a easy risk to solve.

Most of the rest of the risk we take are not so easily solved. Why wouldn’t we take the easy risk off the table?

I don’t want anyone to get hurt but man do I want to start behind MG in a UTV with my 6100 and charge blind up his ass and see what happens. Sure he may get away but what if he doesn’t. Oh well he understood the risk when he signed the waiver.

Mike