BITD Speaks up about prerunning

J Prich

I could be wrong but my assumption here is that this response from BITD and the heart of the convo here is specifically related to V2R. And maybe SS300. There is still a bit of grey area perhaps and maybe I'm taking it all wrong but I personally take the statement to mean V2R and Silver State specifically.

cynicwanderer

It sounds like that BITD is trying to build/maintain good relationships with the landowners/BLM, etc, for the future of the sport... when people start acting irresponsible and start tearing things up (with race trucks/pre-runners) and the complains come in, it may jeopardize future permits. I suspect that if you're out there, respecting private land, close the gates you open, don't run ranchers/rangers/people off the road, don't destroy fences and don't run over any cattle; there is probably no reason to think that you are being a douche and pre-running the course. BITD is in their full right to DQ or penalize people that don't represent their standards. E.g. noone can prevent you from being on the public land legally, but if you draw negative attention to what you are doing in association with BITD then BITD has no choice. also, if you cause damage or speed, LEO (sheriff/ranger) has an obligation to stop/fine you and report you to BITD if you represent them. Anyway, that's how I interpret their release. I.e. if you look like you're pre-running for BITD then you probably are and it's against their rules.

Last edited:

jon coleman

WoW, just because you can?, commonman, look what happens when you do what you want just because you can, , things get shut DOWN, go ahead and blow it for racing in general, anyone who pre runs and there's problems from local drunks , non offroad racer punks or whatever,who live there, the offroad racers Will get full blame for All mischief, jeeez, i ,jc, is even getting burned out on this one, this IS the groundhog day thread, over& over & over......

green787

Some people can't wear their masks in public also....

stonehole

been around this desert fight for 50+yrs...mc mostly...blm mtgs ,community stufff, landowners etc and watched it dwindle because of ALL our stupidity(i rode b2v from '68..river run etc.) was at Nevada 2000 when casey had the Governer,officials,etc ..Said it took 44 permits to pull that off .....I did 4yrs V2R with MC , and 13 yrs with Protruck team,so i've seen the Stupidity and excuses .......kinda know some Bitd,the boys,and 56, ......AND cant understand why when they ask your help and courtesy,some wanna whine and whatif this thing ....It will change and slowly dissapear because of actions of WDs

MTPyle

StoneHole,

Just to be clear, do you think I am whining? Its OK, you can call me out if you want. I think general statements like some want to Whine can be taken different ways.

I just want clear objective rules that everyone can live by. Having subjective rules will only benefit the teams that are willing to push the grey areas.

I am not someone that goes out and does anything wrong in the desert. I know for sure that I am not the problem. I just want to go out and get to know the areas and the course. Not even to "Pre run" and take notes but to get experience in terrain that will help us race. We are new so we do not know the desert like many of the teams. So I want to learn in a respectful legal way.

Our team weakness is seat time. I want to drive our race truck out there but we dont as we do not want to tear up the trails and be obnoxious. I think if I was out in Caliente in my race truck that would draw attention we do not want as a sport. We have never taken our race truck out other than in a very small testing area like the qualifying area of Apex or Thumpers by Jean dry lake bed. Other teams are taking race vehicles out to pre run, thats not us and I never said I think thats OK.

If you think I am being a whiner say so.

Mike

vegasloki

I could be wrong but my assumption here is that this response from BITD and the heart of the convo here is specifically related to V2R. And maybe SS300. There is still a bit of grey area perhaps and maybe I'm taking it all wrong but I personally take the statement to mean V2R and Silver State specifically.
It is for these two races but the point remains. It’s not BITD’s property to dictate what to do. A lot of that is potentially legal off road recreation terrain. I can relate and empathize with the drive to have people be more respectful of the desert. The issue isn’t use of the desert as much as it is the self centered nature of many of those in the sport. Were they responsible in their use of the desert and not go tear assing through the area with 40s and 900 hp it wouldn’t be as big an issue. The issue is people wanting to use the pre run as race practice/testing as well. If more took a mild vehicle out (or golf cart) and drove responsibly on public land, didn’t traverse private property unless specifically allowed would go a long way to addressing the complaints. Don’t be a Richard Cranium or turd noggin when you’re out there before the race.

stonehole

StoneHole,

Just to be clear, do you think I am whining? Its OK, you can call me out if you want. I think general statements like some want to Whine can be taken different ways.

I just want clear objective rules that everyone can live by. Having subjective rules will only benefit the teams that are willing to push the grey areas.

I am not someone that goes out and does anything wrong in the desert. I know for sure that I am not the problem. I just want to go out and get to know the areas and the course. Not even to "Pre run" and take notes but to get experience in terrain that will help us race. We are new so we do not know the desert like many of the teams. So I want to learn in a respectful legal way.

Our team weakness is seat time. I want to drive our race truck out there but we dont as we do not want to tear up the trails and be obnoxious. I think if I was out in Caliente in my race truck that would draw attention we do not want as a sport. We have never taken our race truck out other than in a very small testing area like the qualifying area of Apex or Thumpers by Jean dry lake bed. Other teams are taking race vehicles out to pre run, thats not us and I never said I think thats OK.

If you think I am being a whiner say so.

Mike

MTPyle

LOL 😂 ok got it. Thanks for being clear.

I will stop posting on this thread.

Mike

BajaFand

Response to pre-running of Vegas to Reno
Best in the Desert kindly and firmly reminds everyone that the 2020 Maxxis Tire Casey Folks “Vegas to Reno” presented by Fox is a No Pre Run Course.

Here are a few reasons why we ask everyone to respect the event and stay away from the area:

1) We have worked closely with local, county and BLM officials to get this event approved during a time of uncertainty. By choosing to pre-run, you jeopardize the event for everyone. The reason we stopped holding a pre-fun run for this event in 2009 was because all the activity leading up to the event caused the roads to be torn up so badly that locals and land owners could not access these areas and county maintenance crews had to repair roads before the event took place. Then they had to come in again and repair after the event. Once the pre-fun run stopped, we have had very good relationships with all these entities and we would like to keep it that way.

2) We have worked very hard to build good working relationship all across the state with land owners, mine operators and cattle ranchers. At this year’s Silver State 300, there was a lot of activity leading up to the event with vehicles pre-running the assumed race route. We know it was none of you reading this. However, it caused significant difficulties with gates being left open that were suppose to be closed and cattle got into areas it was not suppose to be. Years of cooperation and trust that Best in the Desert built with ranchers and locals is now gone because a few people couldn’t follow the rules.

3) By choosing to pre-run, your actions directly reflect back on Best in the Desert. Locals, ranchers and mine owners all know the difference between stock vehicles and pre-run vehicles. When they start noticing these types of vehicles traveling at high rates of speed in the race course area, they start calling us and BLM to ask questions and log complaints. Once that starts happening, actions must be taken. That’s why we say again, you choosing to pre-run will jeopardize the event for everyone.

4) Best in the Desert Officials live in Beatty, Goldfield, Tonopah, Mina, Hawthorne, Gabbs, and Dayton area. These people are involved in their communities and if we get reports from them that you were out pre-running, there will be penalties up to disqualification. Do not put Best in the Desert in that situation by pre-running. We have said it before and we will say it again:
It does not matter what your name is, who your sponsors are, we treat everyone the same.
We have been working very hard the past few years to get the Pre-Fun Run approved for future Vegas to Reno events and are very close to making that happen. Please do not undo our hard work by pre-running the route you supposedly think we are using this year. As was stated in our Town Hall meeting in May, there are over 60 miles of course that haven’t been used in over a decade. It’s not just one section, its spread out all over the route. With these older sections and other changes, race teams can expect a very different but exciting Maxxis Tire Casey Folks “Vegas to Reno” presented by Fox for 2020
Of course none of this applies if you do it in your chopper.

BajaFand

It sounds like that BITD is trying to build/maintain good relationships with the landowners/BLM, etc, for the future of the sport... when people start acting irresponsible and start tearing things up (with race trucks/pre-runners) and the complains come in, it may jeopardize future permits. I suspect that if you're out there, respecting private land, close the gates you open, don't run ranchers/rangers/people off the road, don't destroy fences and don't run over any cattle; there is probably no reason to think that you are being a douche and pre-running the course. BITD is in their full right to DQ or penalize people that don't represent their standards. E.g. noone can prevent you from being on the public land legally, but if you draw negative attention to what you are doing in association with BITD then BITD has no choice. also, if you cause damage or speed, LEO (sheriff/ranger) has an obligation to stop/fine you and report you to BITD if you represent them. Anyway, that's how I interpret their release. I.e. if you look like you're pre-running for BITD then you probably are and it's against their rules.
This leaves the 1 main question that has yet to be answered.... we can all abide by this and none of us go prerunning but some Raptor or UTV group that are not racers with old GPS files is out running parts of the course or all of it and make us look like jerks and get the event shut down?

Curt Leduc and Cam Steele we’re just out on a Raptor trip a couple of weeks ago that went on sections of old V2R course that may or may not be used this year. They were out there since Cam had to cancel Trail of Missions due to Covid. So if Cam and Curt race this year does that make them cheaters? Is that considered prerunning?

Point being the Mike P is correct... I think we all want to respect and abide BITD’s requests. However there does need to be clear and concise explination or rules as to what is prerunning and what is not.

y2kbaja

Camburg was out there too recently.

Robin Hood

Your rights in the desert have nothing to do with your right to race with BITD. It's pretty simple, if you want to bird watch and recreate in these areas then go race with a different organization. You have your rights and BITD has a right to run their business however they want. If you don't want to follow their rules, then race elsewhere.

43mod

Hood I agree w your statement 100% . As long as BITD makes it perfectly clear IE no driver or co driver shall be on or follow a potential XXXXXX race course XX days prior to the event date. Anything less clear is bunk.