BITD VEGAS TO RENO QUESTIONS

JayyKTA

Reaction
Hey guys, I want to attend (spectate) BITD Vegas to Reno and I had a question about spectating. I was on BITD site and its very vague on where you can, and cant be. Just mostly info on the race, which is great and all, but looking for more info on spectating. Hoping you all can help me out, is there a parking pass you get like other BITD events (mint 400, UTV championship, etc.) or is it kind of just like a SCORE event where you post by the course. Again, first time to this event. Any info helps, thanks guys!

ToyotaPro

Reaction
I was wondering the same thing but I do know that BITD and BLM dont want people just randomly on the side of the course. But question is what happens further north where they course crosses main paved roads or access roads? Can we just take a dirt road on public land and get near the course? I'm obviously not looking to put my chair right on the shoulder of the course and try to toch a truck, just a spot 50-100ft away.
I was looking at more info possibly in the Yerington area, my wife grandfather has a ranch there and would be fun to visit and watch some trucks go by

Cam

JayyKTA

Reaction
I was wondering the same thing but I do know that BITD and BLM dont want people just randomly on the side of the course. But question is what happens further north where they course crosses main paved roads or access roads? Can we just take a dirt road on public land and get near the course? I'm obviously not looking to put my chair right on the shoulder of the course and try to toch a truck, just a spot 50-100ft away.
I was looking at more info possibly in the Yerington area, my wife grandfather has a ranch there and would be fun to visit and watch some trucks go by

Cam
Agreed bro, yeah I’m just so confused about the situation. I’m with you I’m not for sitting 20 feet on the course to touch a truck. I just want to respect all the rules, the state, and the Motorsport is all.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
Hey guys, I want to attend (spectate) BITD Vegas to Reno and I had a question about spectating. I was on BITD site and its very vague on where you can, and cant be. Just mostly info on the race, which is great and all, but looking for more info on spectating. Hoping you all can help me out, is there a parking pass you get like other BITD events (mint 400, UTV championship, etc.) or is it kind of just like a SCORE event where you post by the course. Again, first time to this event. Any info helps, thanks guys!

Cam

Hey there -

So the Vegas to Reno has no dedicated specator areas and therefore no parking passes. The start line is limited access due to limited parking. You must have a pass and there are only 2 per team being supplied. The remainder of the pits do not require passes.

As far as pick a road and drive out, there are about 10 BLM rangers assigned to the event and it is a closed access area under a special permit. Spectators are not supposed to be out in any area that is under the closure.

BITD permits are very strict on spectating at road crossings and you cant be with 1/2 mile of the road crossing pulled off our we could be in violation of our permit and you can be cited by any number of the agencies along the way.

Yeah I know - not a lot of fun that way..

So now here is what I can suggest - Vegas to Reno is a logistical nightmare for Best in the Desert with nearly 400 volunteers needed to monitor various areas. We are always in need of some more people that want to come out to an area and watch the race and help monitor a random dirt road crossing or check point. Even if you can do an entire day, we are always in search of warm bodies for this adventure.

Give Liz / Donald a call on Monday morning or anytime you want at 702-457-5775 and see if there is a spot near where you want to spectate and see if there is an area they can use help for the race - get a t-shirt and some stickers and be able to check out some great racing action

JayyKTA

Reaction
Hey there -

So the Vegas to Reno has no dedicated specator areas and therefore no parking passes. The start line is limited access due to limited parking. You must have a pass and there are only 2 per team being supplied. The remainder of the pits do not require passes.

As far as pick a road and drive out, there are about 10 BLM rangers assigned to the event and it is a closed access area under a special permit. Spectators are not supposed to be out in any area that is under the closure.

BITD permits are very strict on spectating at road crossings and you cant be with 1/2 mile of the road crossing pulled off our we could be in violation of our permit and you can be cited by any number of the agencies along the way.

Yeah I know - not a lot of fun that way..

So now here is what I can suggest - Vegas to Reno is a logistical nightmare for Best in the Desert with nearly 400 volunteers needed to monitor various areas. We are always in need of some more people that want to come out to an area and watch the race and help monitor a random dirt road crossing or check point. Even if you can do an entire day, we are always in search of warm bodies for this adventure.

Give Liz / Donald a call on Monday morning or anytime you want at 702-457-5775 and see if there is a spot near where you want to spectate and see if there is an area they can use help for the race - get a t-shirt and some stickers and be able to check out some great racing action
That works out awesome! Will do, thank you!

EMS702

Rescue 1
Reaction
Yes, and the NHP frowns VERY hard at those that stop along the highway shoulder to catch a look.
I cover pit one and NHP sits at the turnout by the road crossing waiting for people to stop. People like to stop there because they can see the racers coming down the hill to the road crossing. The better action as suggested is to Volunteer. There is a very cool checkpoint not far from Pit one that is by a silt bed that volunteers like to cover. Same people every year and they make quite the camp out there. I Volunteer to help racers, but the access to the course is a big bonus.

J Prich

Reaction
so basically no spectating ........
It is kind of a bummer to be honest. 530+ miles of race course across open desert and essentially no "legal" spectating. Not blaming BITD or anyone in particular but it is kind of sad when the best advice we can give people who want to come watch a race is to volunteer. It is great but asking people to sit in a spot for 14+ hours as the only reasonable means to see the race is not ideal in my opinion. It just is what it is, but with this course its too bad there isn't some rational way to allow people to see the action without having to "work".

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
It is kind of a bummer to be honest. 530+ miles of race course across open desert and essentially no "legal" spectating. Not blaming BITD or anyone in particular but it is kind of sad when the best advice we can give people who want to come watch a race is to volunteer. It is great but asking people to sit in a spot for 14+ hours as the only reasonable means to see the race is not ideal in my opinion. It just is what it is, but with this course its too bad there isn't some rational way to allow people to see the action without having to "work".
To be clear, they can spectate in any pit area they want to. But pits are controlled speed and most like to see the vehicles doing what they are designed to do.

Due to insurance, volunteers are required to sign a release and follow certain rules that allow them close access to the course where racers are racing. With volunteers every few miles and over 400 of them signed up for this event, there is simply no place to carve out a dedicated spectator area that would have to be fenced and staffed to watch truck come by one time.

I know everyone loves the thrill of Baja, but in a extremely litigious society, injuries and deaths to spectators are far more costly than a couple grand in Baja. Therefore it has to be monitored and controlled for the protection of the sanction body.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
so basically no spectating ........
I was volunteer course worker for years with both BITD and SNORE and even HDRA for the short time it was back. These were some of the funnest times I have ever had at a race. You get to be all over the place (within your "area"). You get to see guys "going fast" and not coast through a pit at a controlled speed. Some days you work your ass of. Others you have a pretty kick back time. Bring a cooler of water/food (the waters not just for you) for comfort and strap, fire extinguishers, and assort recovery type tools/safety stuff and a decent radio set up and you get to a be a hero some poor dudes who has broken down or tipped over.

I found those days days to be fun,exciting and rewarding. The pay was zero so I certainly wasn't doing it for the money.

bobylax

Reaction
I cover pit one and NHP sits at the turnout by the road crossing waiting for people to stop. People like to stop there because they can see the racers coming down the hill to the road crossing. The better action as suggested is to Volunteer. There is a very cool checkpoint not far from Pit one that is by a silt bed that volunteers like to cover. Same people every year and they make quite the camp out there. I Volunteer to help racers, but the access to the course is a big bonus.
My checkpoint for 6 of the last 8 years is the first one past pit one. (mile 34) there is a small, 200 foot silt section there, but between mile 40-45, there is a huge silt bed, and I believe there is a check point out there. Over the years, I've only had to deal with spectators 2 or 3 times. The only access road to this spot is through a gate, right at the road crossing and race entrance into pit 1. The road crossing guys do a good job of monitoring that gate. Unfortunately, this huge point to point event is not spectator friendly, and with resources spread so thin, it would be difficult to man and maintain designated spectator areas. As Dave N. mentioned, the pits have access, and it might give a new perspective to desert racing watching how exciting & efficient (and sometimes not) pitting can be. I've been a pit captain once, and never worked so hard as a volunteer, but it was very eye opening as that is a part of desert racing I never get a chance to see. If you do go to a pit, please stay clear of the working pits, find a safe place to observe, and enjoy the organized chaos!

J Prich

Reaction
I was volunteer course worker for years with both BITD and SNORE and even HDRA for the short time it was back. These were some of the funnest times I have ever had at a race. You get to be all over the place (within your "area"). You get to see guys "going fast" and not coast through a pit at a controlled speed. Some days you work your ass of. Others you have a pretty kick back time. Bring a cooler of water/food (the waters not just for you) for comfort and strap, fire extinguishers, and assort recovery type tools/safety stuff and a decent radio set up and you get to a be a hero some poor dudes who has broken down or tipped over.

I found those days days to be fun,exciting and rewarding. The pay was zero so I certainly wasn't doing it for the money.
I dont want to get in to an argument over semantics. Enough of that on here as is. I understand everything you've said here, and have done it myself. Volunteering is great. Me saying its a shame that people can't spectate does not come at the expense of the joys that can be had volunteering. My point is only that it's a shame, for whatever reasons, that for a race like this there is no opportunity for regular folks to spectate without having to work. I fully understand the dynamics but that doesn't make it any less of a shame that the only reasonable way we have to tell people they can see a race like Vegas to Reno is to be a volunteer.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
I dont want to get in to an argument over semantics. Enough of that on here as is. I understand everything you've said here, and have done it myself. Volunteering is great. Me saying its a shame that people can't spectate does not come at the expense of the joys that can be had volunteering. My point is only that it's a shame, for whatever reasons, that for a race like this there is no opportunity for regular folks to spectate without having to work. I fully understand the dynamics but that doesn't make it any less of a shame that the only reasonable way we have to tell people they can see a race like Vegas to Reno is to be a volunteer.
Yea, I know. I was just trying to get the OP hyped on being a volunteer. It really is fun and rewarding. To this day people I don't remember meeting tell me stories about how my sidekick Philo and I dragged them out of the desert. (I tell them they owe me a beer still.)

Maybe one day The Martellis can buy V2R and set up some grandstands etc. Then we can look forward to threads where people complain about how it was too hot, and a guy had a dog that lifed it's leg and took a leak on someones tire who was parked in the wrong reserved spot while the under-qualified and under paid security guard didn't do anything about it. If we're lucky there will be tales of full porta pottys with not butt wipe. Oh. and the dust. Gotta complain about there being dust in the desert. ;)

And hundreds of emails, maybe thousands.:rolleyes:

Tundranation

Reaction

yea been there done that .........just want to take my grand kids to see a race I volunteered for years MDR DRIVE HDRA SCORE SNORE .................yea I staged all the SCORE and HDRA races for years and had lots of fun just sad you cant spectate a race unless you go to Baja ....which we do !!!!!

EMS702

Rescue 1
Reaction
My checkpoint for 6 of the last 8 years is the first one past pit one. (mile 34) there is a small, 200 foot silt section there, but between mile 40-45, there is a huge silt bed, and I believe there is a check point out there. Over the years, I've only had to deal with spectators 2 or 3 times. The only access road to this spot is through a gate, right at the road crossing and race entrance into pit 1. The road crossing guys do a good job of monitoring that gate. Unfortunately, this huge point to point event is not spectator friendly, and with resources spread so thin, it would be difficult to man and maintain designated spectator areas. As Dave N. mentioned, the pits have access, and it might give a new perspective to desert racing watching how exciting & efficient (and sometimes not) pitting can be. I've been a pit captain once, and never worked so hard as a volunteer, but it was very eye opening as that is a part of desert racing I never get a chance to see. If you do go to a pit, please stay clear of the working pits, find a safe place to observe, and enjoy the organized chaos!
I will come by and see you when I get a moment. Your spot is one of my favorite.

Pee Wee

Reaction
Look at the course map around Tonapah. Plenty of areas to spectate. Park and walk.

bobylax

Reaction
I will come by and see you when I get a moment. Your spot is one of my favorite.
Usually don’t get much rescue or retrieval need in my little corner of the world, but if you get the chance, stop by and we’ll share a cold one (water)!!!