• Forum membership has its advantages....

bitd vegas to reno racer build

I am trying to find out where I can get score, bitd class 10 legal frame to build onto. if anyone has a link to a web site they would like to share, I'd greatly appreciate it. I really want to build my own frame but i dont know the specifications I will need to build to. the vegas to reno race is the reason I want to build a car with my kids that they will one day race. i want to build a class 1000 race buggy. Im very serious about this project and any information will be helpful. thank you.

I feel stupid asking this but I'm new to desert racing and Im trying to learn as much as I can before I start putting Money into this car. II just dont want to make the mistake of building the wrong thing, loosing money, and not being able to race.

JDDurfey

I am a keyboard racer now, someday I will be able to get back out there. There are many people on this site that can help you, and there are some that will discourage you from building yourself.

In my experience, you are much farther ahead to purchase a vehicle already built. You can buy a used race car that needs a little TLC and maybe some minor mods for much cheaper than building your own. I understand the lure of being able to stand back when it is all done and fold your arms and while looking proudly on your creation say "I built that" But which would you rather do...spend countless hours busting your back, knees, and wallet building something, or enjoying a toy in the desert. And what if your kids get sick of working on it, then you do it yourself, or the "family project" ends up being a rather large paperweight that you try of offload to the next guy for a fraction of the money you sunk into it. Do you have the needed equipment to build one yourself? Do you have a decent place to work on it? And lastly, the biggie in my opinion, does your wife feel the same as you do. My wife has no interest in desert racing, that's nothing against her, it just isn't her thing, so I know that I won't get much support from her when it comes to me spending money. Although, she did see a nice dirt bike the other day for sale that she thought I might like, and sent me the link. (I didn't buy it.) There are many things you should consider before jumping into a build. Check out the "Show and Tell" section and read through the complete build threads and look at the pictures of what these guys are building. And while you are at it, look at the date stamps on the postings and see how long it took some of these guys to build their cars and trucks. Also consider, the basic build of a race car isn't really the most expensive part. When it comes to finishing it with all the safety equipment and spare parts and then add entry fees and actual real world costs, that is where the expense comes in when racing. I would love to build my Jeep into a Jeepspeed racer. But when I read the build threads about them and then I compare that to the few that have been for sale in the classifieds, it only makes sense to buy a used one that I can go race for quite a bit cheaper than building my own. And I already own an older Cherokee that would make a great build platform.

If you really want to get something you can race, look for a car that has been raced in BITD and or has a SCORE tag so it can race there. Look in the classified section. You will probably find what you want there.

I am not trying to discourage you in any shape or form from going after your dream.

racer56

Building your own car from scratch is very unrealistic and you will dumping good money into a bottomless pit. Buy a good used car, get your feet wet and have fun racing with your kids..

Bdub 1020

Buy a Chasis cad designed with the right geometry. Make your project with the kids bolting and fabbing it together. But be prepared to spend way more than whats its worth when done

Bdub 1020

Or buy a good used class 10 car, put a 2.0 turbo ford motor in and race it in the BITD 2400 class
If your going to do that put a truck body on it and race class 7 against 4 or 5 other trucks. If you win you get big bucks from Ford now that's smart. Class 2400 or class 10 pay little compared to 7 in BITD

it seems the more I research building a car the more impossible it becomes. i had no idea how expensive it is, even in the lower classes. my intention was to have something to race with my kids. i was originally planning on racing dirtbikes since that is all there is around here in tn, that and rock crawling but thats way expensive and boring, only gave up racing bikes because its dangerous and i have a family. my dream is to one day race vegas to reno but it seems out of reach for the time being. thank you for your honesty. god bless

JCAraiza

If you thought off road racing is cheap, you better switch to a different sport. Not trying to discourage you but that is a fact, off road racing will make you sell your soul to the higest bider.

CMA GUMBY

my intention was to have something to race with my kids.
I know it's not desert racing,but have you thought about dirt track racing? A lot of teams are family oriented. Cheaper to build and maintain,but still not cheap. Just a thought to share.

AZ7000'

it seems the more I research building a car the more impossible it becomes. i had no idea how expensive it is, even in the lower classes. my intention was to have something to race with my kids. i was originally planning on racing dirtbikes since that is all there is around here in tn, that and rock crawling but thats way expensive and boring, only gave up racing bikes because its dangerous and i have a family. my dream is to one day race vegas to reno but it seems out of reach for the time being. thank you for your honesty. god bless

Bajaracingadventures.com The absolute cheapest way to race is to rent a truck.

johnnyweb

I would suggest looking into a jeep speed or a trophy light. Those vehicles are relatively cheap (for the sort anyways) have some good support and payback involved in them. Smaller fuel bills and there is a decent amount of they to race against.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Clive Skilton

As johnnyweb says; Jeepspeed is a good way to go for first timers. Many of todays top young drivers started with us and many old timers have come out of retirement. Simple cars, easy to maintain, club atmosphere with shared race day support. Winning cars averaging 40 mph. Subsidized entry fees. Payback. Most fun for your buck. go to www.jeepspeed.com for more details. Call Mike at 714719 2696 about cars for sale or rent. Thanks for listening.