BJ Baldwin leaves General Tire for 2"?

Jacob7672

Nimrod de Ashcraft
Todd Wiley put the 40" plus BFG projects on his truck and I don't think he has finished a race since, brakes every race, too much rotating mass, inertia etc... (IMO)
Well Vanderway was the first across the finish line at this years 1000 with the 42"?? I know that much

More mass, yes. But also a 20" wheel and HUGE rotors and calipers. At least on the milk truck. I couldn't believe the size of rotors are on that thing.

Jacob7672

Nimrod de Ashcraft
Speaking of golf carts. I was working on my 16er today and my neibor came by and was talking to me about it and said it looks like a big Rhino. WHAT, I couldn't believe it. jajaja

But, he also asked me what my "roll cage" was made of. I answered him with chromoly steel and then he looked like this :confused:

Anyway, back on subject. GT sucks. Ohhh wait, jk jk

NCwilbur

Well technically its a Trophy SUV...
And if I have to say doesn't look good at all, and need to go back to drawing board on it IMHO.

I know everyone is going bigger and 37's are unheard of for top runners usually. BJ feels like he is giving up something though, but I don't think just tires will fix that. Someone brought up how low his TT compared to others, which I think limits things for him and add bigger tires. I see that as downgrade, but I'm sure he will raise it up and and rework suspension.

I'm not knocking BJ at all, his truck works and is proven.

JoeyD23

Speaking of golf carts. I was working on my 16er today and my neibor came by and was talking to me about it and said it looks like a big Rhino. WHAT, I couldn't believe it. jajaja
He must be confused with a Kawasaki Mule, cause no way your 16er looks as nice as a Rhino......lol

JRod

fast-aid.org
IMO a 39" tire is the perfect size.
Is it?

I remember when I was tripping because Bob Gordon went from 33s on the Gordon Feed Chenoweth to 35s... When does it end? They were BFGs though, so I'm guessing you feel they were superior, lmao...

I'm sure BJ will figure out how to make whatever tire work- if it's Toyo, it's not their first rodeo with a fast guy who can win as long as he's not too hard on equipment...

LukeMcMillin

I thought it was farm equipment?
haha yea something like that. And yes good one, past my bed time. haha 16er's are about the competition, no other limited class compares.

Good luck to BJ on the toyo's. Dave P, is probably thankful bobby's truck will finally be back on the size tire it was built for, changing the bottom tubes must have gottem really old every other race. I think everyone in this thread should be more concerned about Chad Rag in the SPD on 39's, if he races it again next season.

NCwilbur

Is it?

I remember when I was tripping because Bob Gordon went from 33s on the Gordon Feed Chenoweth to 35s... When does it end? They were BFGs though, so I'm guessing you feel they were superior, lmao...

I'm sure BJ will figure out how to make whatever tire work- if it's Toyo, it's not their first rodeo with a fast guy who can win as long as he's not too hard on equipment...
That was the question I am curious about, where does it stop? Now we have 42's a proven option.

Toyo's were never the downside with RG, and held up to him. He just is really hard on his trucks and that's the only downside. I'm curious if him switching to Toyos made another part of the truck the weak point? That's another thing to think about, too much grip or size could cause alot more failure.

Jacob7672

Nimrod de Ashcraft
To be honest and back to reality of this thread. I ran yoko, bfg, Goodyear, and Toyo open country on my 4 seater and I loved the Toyo by far the best for that particular vehicle. They hooked up like you wouldn't believe, cornered sooo nice and I never once had a flat with them. Evan when I took out 40' of chain link fence with the rear tire once.

Jacob7672

Nimrod de Ashcraft
And if I have to say doesn't look good at all, and need to go back to drawing board on it IMHO.

I know everyone is going bigger and 37's are unheard of for top runners usually. BJ feels like he is giving up something though, but I don't think just tires will fix that. Someone brought up how low his TT compared to others, which I think limits things for him and add bigger tires. I see that as downgrade, but I'm sure he will raise it up and and rework suspension.

I'm not knocking BJ at all, his truck works and is proven.
The Stout trucks do sit lower than some others but they also corner like no other. From what I've heard from some that have driven them.

Jacob7672

Nimrod de Ashcraft
That was the question I am curious about, where does it stop? Now we have 42's a proven option.

Toyo's were never the downside with RG, and held up to him. He just is really hard on his trucks and that's the only downside. I'm curious if him switching to Toyos made another part of the truck the weak point? That's another thing to think about, too much grip or size could cause alot more failure.
Yea, that's why projects are designed to spin. Toyo deff do not spin much. They have a lot of grip and are very aggressive tread.

az_amsoil

Sitting in the border line after the 1000...a crew of Baja Pit guys were on the radio and tires came up. The conversation was about weight and in "General" they were talking about how much heavier the GT's were compared to the BFGs. Something on the order of 10lbs per tire.

As far as AGM, it's not all about bigger is better. It's about size matters, in more ways than one. If you look at our splits at the 1000, we were as fast or faster until San Felipe. The shocks prevented us from really pushing the truck through the large whoops. No doubt FOX and AGM will dial them in...remember we overalled the 250 in a class one car (nobody thought that would happen)...the one cars are proving that you don't need a 6000lb 800hp vehicle to overall.

If BJ thinks 39s are what he needs then more power to him. If I was wanting visibility for my tires, BJ would be a great pick up!

C. Bucher

I think everyone in this thread should be more concerned about Chad Rag in the SPD on 39's, if he races it again next season.
Best statement I've read on RDC in long while.

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
I'll also add, Bj and RG have formed quite a relationship over the past couple years and It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he went to Toyo ... also wouldn't surprise me to see Bj on RG wheels when the change happens.