BLACK MARKET FAB.

empire231

Reaction
I WAS REFERRED HERE BY PERFORMANCELIFTS.COM, I HAD A SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT THE BLACK MARKET FAB. LONG-TRAVEL KIT FOR THE 88-98 C1500. HAS ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE W/ THIS KIT OR DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW IT PERFORMS?

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Empire, do a search in the shop thread and you should find a couple of posts that have touched on that company before.

empire231

Reaction
i did the search and just found people saying it's not good, but i dont know why. my intention is to build a 88-98 1500 into a desert toy and i want some sweet susp., i know that the chevy's are a bit harder to build, but is there anyone else who makes a good longtravel kit? and any feedback on blackmarket?

bajaboy

Reaction
Black Market was out here in Costa Mesa a long time ago. The cages they build seemed ok, but this was almost 7 years ago. They are the only ones I know of who advertise a Coilover long travel for that year chevy, Also HM has one too which I heard was ok , someone on this board has one, So hopefully he speaks up. Most people are taking a CST long travel and fabbing something for the coilover.

Bajaboy

empire231

Reaction
yeah, they're out there next to vegas. and they are the only place i could find on the net that has a coilover longtravel set-up for the 88-98 chevy. i just checked out hm but their kit isn't coilover? i e-mailed them to try and get some more info on it.

UndercoverFab

Reaction
doesnt camburg have a kit for 88-98 chev`s, i think it pulls 16 inchs of travel and it looked pretty beefy.

drtdevil93

Reaction
give the baja shop a call. AJ has made more than a few chevy frontends, and his prices are very fair. (714) 279-0778

erik

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
empire231-

Contrary to poular belief on this board, the kit holds it's own in the dirt. Many have questioned the camber angle when the truck is pitched sideways, and the strength of the upper uniball placement. I have worked with Eric on many trucks, and I stand by his work. He doesn't try to pull massive amounts of wheel travel or go for the extremely trendy wide look either. He builds his kits with proper geometry in mind, he doesn't try to stuff a huge coilover in and have it at an improper angle just to say his kit runs a bigger shock than the competitor. Alot of thinking and planning goes into the kits before he fires up the welder. Camburg and H&M both have very nice kits, and Eric knows they are top notch, but he's not trying to compete with those kits, he offers an affordable upgrade from a stock Chevy suspension. To reach him goto www.blackmarketfab.com. I don't want to start another argument about why his stuff sucks and all that, I am just saying what I see on a daily basis when working in his shop. Oh yeah, and I am speaking for him because I am his 'online voice', aka he doesn't get on the internet much.

empire231

Reaction
that seems like a pretty nice kit, what does anyone else think? i wonder if that price includes the rear shock towers& all shocks. i'm gonna have to give them a call. any feedback on this is appreciated.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I'd be skeptical of those numbers they are claiming....sounds like they brought the penis measuring tape to the shop.

empire231

Reaction

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
It looks like good work from what I can see but I think that there are some design issues. The 4link pics on the products page shows the lower link with the coil over mounted above the center line of the link which I have heard is a no-no even thought the cab link mount is a bushing. Their stuff also seems a little pricey for being a smaller less reputable shop.

dadomin8r

Reaction
I thought the same thing when I saw the 4-link. The shock mounts are about 1.5" above the CL...not good. and they wanted a ton for everything they had. The front end didn't have very good pics to be able to form an opinion.

jwfab1

Reaction
I have been by Kevin's shop and talked to him about 3 years ago. I have also seen 3 trucks he built, an S-10 and 2 rangers, his and the Ranger on ebay. The S-10 originally had design issues which I beleive were resolved. And for the Ranger, the customer was not completly satisfied, but it's also not going to perform like a trophy truck, which he wanted. The 3rd was his ,(99 Ranger), and the first long travel A-arm Ranger I had seen. However the quality of the work was pretty good and he has some great ideas.

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
It looks like they have some good ideas, but need to work out the design better. Give them a few more years of experiance and testing and their prices will be justified.

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
The thing I see (pics weren't that great) that I might question is the uniball mounting on the ranger upper a-arm. This is the way they were done on the old Camburg arms, and Jerry changed that becasue they were having trouble with the bolt that goes through the uniball breaking. Steve