• Forum membership has its advantages....

BLM las vegas new rules

snoreracer

Blm does have to respond to Substantive Comments

Sometimes it can take a savoy land use person, Or a good land use Lawyer

I learned a heck of a lot talking for hours on the phone with a Lawyer representing Hyundai corp when they were finalizing up mitigation issues here in California City when they built their test facility on prime habitat here. Two of us got the mitigation ratio from 25 to1 down to 5 to 1 for the construction of their project here, Also a solar project, Same scenario. Google My name, Some bits and pieces may still be on the net for ever....Bla..Bla

Even though Im sure I wasted 10s of thousands of billable time
picking this guys brain representing Hyundai corp, He asked "I wish you off road types were here in the beginning of the CQUA process, Working with them would have saved them millions. But that is long history gone, and I was just getting into this land use thing green behind the ears 10 years ago.

The moral here is Substantive Comments, BLM HAS to take them into consideration

Learn more here, CORVA had many workshops for the plans here in CA, Enough interest, I may be able persuade the right person to conduct more comments workshops. IMOH, They were too late to the punch for JV, but maybe some help with Nevada Management plans depending where they are in the decision process. The workshops were a bit of help in JV, but Marines are tough to get to change the alternatives. From what I recall, The final EIS were amended, But I was not happy, and outspoken about it, so I was ostracized by the so called "OHV leadership" CAMRC, They can kiss my ass. Most of them were at SEMA stroking their Egos, wasting your donations with expensive rooms, meals and drinks. I dont support any now other than CORVA

http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/planning/nepa/webguide/document_pages/6_9_2_1__examples.html
Wayne , I hear you I contacted BRC, Orba and ARRA with out any luck . I then jumped in with both feet , and it consumes you . The reword was the sea of orange shirts at the meeting . This fight takes time and money to get the message out the off road community. I did 150 posters and put them up at every off road dealer and shop . Put up banners at the entrance to favorite riding locations . Printed up 150 Tee shirts and today a radio ad starts running in Las Vegas giving the public the low down on the BLM . I now have meetings with senators and congressman that take away from my days at work but it's worth it . I really think we need a land defense fund added to each entry fee and pay someone to do this day in and day out .

snoreracer

Land activists rally after feds cancel meeting

Selwyn Harris/ Pahrump Valley Times - An unidentified man protests a plan by the Bureau of Land Management label 3.1 million acres Areas of Critical Environmental Concern, which critics claim will cut off people from using the areas for recreation and livestock, during a rally Thursday afternoon at the Bob Ruud Community Center on Highway 160.

Selwyn Harris/ Pahrump Valley Times - Local activist Kenny Bent discusses land-rights issues and potential federal government encroachment during a rally Thursday afternoon at the Bob Ruud Community Center. The rally was called after the Bureau of Land Management cancelled a meeting to discuss an updated land use plan.

By Mark Waite
Pahrump Valley Times
mwaite@pvtimes.com
Conspiracy theories abounded that the U.S. Bureau of Land Management postponed a public hearing Thursday on the revised resource management plan at the Bob Ruud Community Center to avoid public scrutiny.

About 100 anti-BLM protesters converged in one of the largest local protests in recent years at the corner of Highway 160 and Basin Avenue to wave signs, fill out comment sheets provided by the Concerned Citizens for a Safe Community in front of the community center, or in general just complain about federal restrictions.

The Bureau said in a late Wednesday statement it postponed the Pahrump meeting to find a larger venue. Bureau spokesman Rudy Evenson said Thursday evening a decision hasn’t been made yet when and where to reschedule the Pahrump meeting.

The meeting was to be the last of five public meetings on the environmental impact statement for the resource management plan.

The preferred alternative in the plan has been criticized by Nye County officials for proposing 20 new Areas of Critical Environmental Concern and limiting development in areas for visual resource management

Protest organizer Lisa Marie Johnson, who traveled to Bunkerville to protest the BLM seizure of rancher Cliven Bundy’s cattle last summer, sent an email to protesters saying postponing the hearing would leave them more time to organize. She said Nye County Commissioners are planning their own meeting on the resource management plan in mid-December.

Johnson said she’s had calls from around the state, from people in places like Lyon County, wanting to know how they can participate.

“It gives us more time to organize and then of course we knew a lot of people were going to come here today before they ever realized it was canceled so we had to be here and it was a good opportunity to inform them of what was really important today,” Johnson said. “You can come out with your signs and voice your opinion but unless you fill out that comment form and actually reference the particulars in the management plan that you’re talking about, your comment actually is not publicly recorded. So the comment form is really key to all of this.

“I think the BLM is a bureaucratic agency that has gotten way out of control and thinks they are our keepers when they have forgotten they are just our gardener. I think it will probably end up in the courts if the state Legislature does not kick them out of the state first.”

Protest organizer Kenny Bent said 7,000 robo calls were sent out informing people of the Thursday meeting.

“This is our community and they need to know,” Bent said. “The only reason they bailed out is because they realize the people are aware of what they’re about to do.”

Bent said once an Area of Critical Environmental Concern is designated, the government keeps coming back with more restrictions. On the energy side he said the fluid minerals management plan gives the BLM the green light to allow fracking for oil up north.

“They know exactly they’re not in control so they pulled the plug. What they can’t take is the light of day of public scrutiny,” Bent said. “Everybody got wind last night about the one in Vegas and they showed up.”

He said during the environmental impact statement meetings, “the BLM controls the conversation, they control the outcome. They give you a couple options to choose from, none of which are good.”

“The study they’re using 2,255 pages. The comment forms they want you to spell out the specific page and the thing you’re picking out in their report,” Bent said to protesters.

Sheriff-elect Sharon Wehrly was in attendance, she thought the BLM noticed the big turnout in Las Vegas Wednesday night and got nervous about the Pahrump hearing.

Janisse Ager was waving a sign that said “Bye Bye BLM.”

“They’re supposed to maintain it not take it away. It’s our land,” she said. “I used to be president of the Nye County Goldseekers and we got claims up there.”

Houses in the Johnnie area are fed by Grapevine Springs, which is proposed for an ACEC, Ager said.

“We’re going to voice our opinion whether they like it or not. They still got two months to do damage,” said Dave Lass, waving a “Don’t Tread on Me” flag.

“I think that we the people need to speak our mind and try to change this back to where these decisions are made with congressional oversight and the state Legislature. We don’t have any say. This was done at the federal level and they push it upon us,” Lass said.

He said there were reports from the public meeting in Las Vegas Wednesday people weren’t allowed to speak, there were only presentations. The BLM holds meetings in an open house format. Evenson said a stenographer is available to take oral comments for the record.

Mark Stewart held a sign asking for “no ACECs”.

“The ACECs are nothing but land closures and they’re supposed to be public land. I’m a lifelong Nevadan of 49 years and I’ve been watching my hunting grounds get closed down, access to them. In the old days they used to maintain these roads and keep them up and plant juniper for game and now their goal the way I see it is to make these roads go away so you can’t use them,” he said.

Stewart said he contacted the governor’s office but was sent an e-mail by a constituent representative saying it was a federal matter and they wouldn’t intervene on public lands issues.

Terry Lass printed a bunch of signs that read things like “Government is already Area of Critical Economic Concern,” “Bundy was just the beginning” or “this land is our land to love and enjoy not BLM’s to destroy.”

One protester stood in a cage that was a first amendment protest area, a takeoff on the first amendment protest area designated by the BLM during the Bunkerville standoff.

Former Nevada District 36 Assemblyman Ed Goedhart said out of 25,000 acres slated for disposal by the BLM in Amargosa Valley there was only one transfer of land to private hands in the last third of a century. The plan proposes offering 16 sites totaling 42,513 acres of public land in the Pahrump Field Office for disposal. The plan proposes a 9,642- acre Area of Critical Environmental Concern in Amargosa Valley surrounding Ash Meadows National Wildlife Refuge.

Goedhart said he got support from the Amargosa Valley Town Board and Nye County Commission to purchase 40 adjacent acres of public land bounded on two sides by property he owns that were slated for disposal in the 1998 BLM resource management plan. Goedhart said he was told he’d have to pay $40,000 for BLM staff time to review the application and pay fair market value for the property. He agreed to the terms. But after the re-election of U.S. Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev. in 2010, Goedhart said the BLM told him they didn’t have the money to process the application.

“Here we are today we find out they had too many willing participants and now they decided to close down the hearing and schedule it hopefully for a later time when people are distracted with something else,” Goedhart said.

Jeff Wiest said he thought the Bureau would show up anyway because the meeting had been publicized.

“They backed down because they knew there was going to be a big protest,” Wiest said.

Some people carried signs linking the Bureau’s plans to Agenda 21, a treaty signed by the United States at a United Nations Conference on Environment and Development in Brazil in 1992, in which the U.S. and other countries pledged to adopt the voluntary resolution to combat poverty, pollution and conserve natural resources in the 21st century.

The plan has been criticized by the far-right conservatives and Libertarians as a ploy to erode American sovereignty and deny individuals property rights.

snoreracer

Link worked , that's crazy. I will be on a radio talk show in Vegas Wednesday at 8 am , it's 720 kdwn a clear channel am station that most of you can pick up . We will be talking about the BLM RMP and please call in ( 702) 257-5396

blue dog

Keep up the good fight guys, so sad what has happened. The BLM has way outgrown there original purpose, that is for sure. I was born in Vegas, i remember when if you were On Decatur, You were way out there. As a kid, we would hop on our yz80's and haul a$$ right into the desert from our driveway. The BLM needs to be put in check.

snoreracer

Keep up the good fight guys, so sad what has happened. The BLM has way outgrown there original purpose, that is for sure. I was born in Vegas, i remember when if you were On Decatur, You were way out there. As a kid, we would hop on our yz80's and haul a$$ right into the desert from our driveway. The BLM needs to be put in check.
So true the BLM just manages the land for us, not from us

blue dog

I just sent emails to 3 state assembly holders as well as to Harry Reid informing them of the injustice that is going on.
I will say that Harry Reid is more then likely in support of the BLM when it comes to land issues, and will do nothing to hurt his own cause. The sad thing is that Reid is the one guy that could make a difference on this issue, but would never do so.
Harry Reid is just as bad as Boxer, Pelosi and Feinstein. They all need to be put on a slow boat to nowhere, with no food, water or paddles.

Pound Reids email with disgust of the BLM land grab here. http://www.reid.senate.gov/contact

sirhk100

Been a bit hectic lately but finally circling back around to this a little bit. For anyone following here's a bit more info with real images... First off... The meeting last week that we attended, literally standing room only.

Now for the good stuff. 2 pictures of offroad recreation maps.

No joke, I'm colorblind so forgive me but... In the map above, what I'm calling the dark blue is labeled as "limited to existing roads, trails and dry washes" where the lighter blue is "limited to designated routes". That map is basically what we currently have and follow as far as land access goes for offroad recreation.
This next map though is the BLM's "preferred" alternative.

Now notice the difference, there no long is any "limited to existing roads, trails and dry washes". Most of those areas have been converted to "limited to designated routes".

Now here's where it gets interesting... What are the "limited designated routes" in those areas? Where are those maps so we can see what we're getting? Their answer... Well that's part of the trail management part of the process and is done later. We first need to choose an alternative and then once we've chosen, we'll start mapping out the designated routes. So wait... Let's think about this... That means it could be AMAZING!!!! Every spot in the desert a tire has ever left a track arguably could be determined as a "designated route" and become legal. On the other hand, they could call out 20 miles of a single graded road, call that the "designated route" and make everything else off limits. Now granted, that's your 2 VERY extreme ends and the reality is, it's going to fall somewhere in the middle. But... Is your favorite trail going to become a "designated route"? Who knows... It's not decided yet what is a route and what isn't. A friend of mine at the meeting said it perfectly, this is like writing a "Blank check" to let them fill in the important part with whatever they want. If BLM get's their preferred plan, simply being a trail or wash does not make it legal anymore. BLM has to actually consider it a numbered/labeled route on a future map for it to be legal.

There's other flaws but that right there is my biggest complaint. They want us to make a choice now without the "designated routes" being available to see what we're actually getting if we support their preferred alternative. Who in their right mind would support that? You don't know what you're actually going to be getting by supporting this!

The other 2 alternatives are VERY similar only one has more ACEC which are enviromental concern areas that are closed for offroad travel and the other remaining plan has more land set aside for development. Neither of those allow for speed events to be permitted. The preferred BLM plan still allows for speed events (races) to be permitted.

So there's a bit more real world info as to what we're up against for deciding right now. Comments are accepted till Jan 7th, I still haven't submitted mine but when I do I'll post up what I wrote... Remember though, comments have to be original and thoughtful.

snoreracer

The BLM meeting for Puhrump still has not been rescheduled , I hope they give 15 days notice . As soon as it's out I will post it so we have a good turn out . Did anyone read that the solar plant just south of Primm is not producing as much power due to jet vapor trails .

By MICHAEL R. BLOOD
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

LOS ANGELES — The largest solar power plant of its type in the world — once promoted as a turning point in green energy — isn't producing as much energy as planned.

One of the reasons is as basic as it gets: The sun isn't shining as much as expected.

Sprawling across roughly 5 square miles of federal desert near the California-Nevada border, the Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System opened in February, with operators saying it would produce enough electricity to power a city of 140,000 homes.

So far, however, the plant is producing about half of its expected annual output for 2014, according to calculations by the California Energy Commission.

It had been projected to produce its full capacity for 8 hours a day, on average.

"Factors such as clouds, jet contrails and weather have had a greater impact on the plant than the owners anticipated," the agency said in a statement.

It could take until 2018 for the plant backed by $1.6 billion in federal loan guarantees to hit its annual peak target, said NRG Energy Inc., which operates the plant and co-owns it with Google Inc. and BrightSource Energy.

"During startup we have experienced ... equipment challenges, typical with any new technology, combined with irregular weather patterns," NRG spokesman Jeff Holland said in a statement. "We are confident that Ivanpah's long-term generation projections will meet expectations."

The technology used at Ivanpah is different than the familiar photovoltaic panels commonly used for rooftop solar installations. The plant's solar-thermal system — sometimes called concentrated-solar thermal — relies on nearly 350,000 computer-controlled mirrors at the site, each the size of a garage door.

The mirrors reflect sunlight to boilers atop 459-foot towers — each taller than the Statue of Liberty. The resulting steam drives turbines to create electricity.
When the $2.2 billion complex opened, Energy Department Secretary Ernest Moniz called it a "symbol of the exciting progress" in renewable energy.

While the agency still says the project remains in good standing, Kaitlin Meese, an analyst at research firm Bentek Energy, said its early production figures "do not paint a strong picture for solar-thermal technology development."

The operation of such plants is highly dependent on weather conditions, and predicting when and how strongly the sun will shine is not a perfect science.

A little bit of inefficiency with mirrors can translate into a loss of power output ranging from small to significant, said Dr. Neil Fromer, executive director of the Resnick Sustainability Institute at the California Institute of Technology.

Problems could include getting the thousands of mirrors pointed in precisely the right direction, especially in the cool early morning, or keeping them clean in the dusty Mojave Desert.

Operators initially expected to need steam from gas-powered boilers for an hour a day during startup. After operations began, they found they needed to keep boilers running more than four times longer — an average of 4 1/2 hours a day.

State energy regulators in August approved the plant's request to increase the natural gas it is allowed to burn by 60 percent.

Additional natural gas could also be needed to operate boilers when clouds thicken or to maintain output at the end of the day and extend the capability for power production, the company said.

"Because the plant requires sunlight to heat water and turn it to steam, anything that reduces the sunlight will affect steam conditions, which could damage equipment and potentially cause unsafe conditions," said the commission, which approved the request for increased gas use.

Fromer said it was surprising that so much additional gas is needed, adding that it "signals to me they have some very large problems.

Plants owners said they are learning on the fly to some extent.

"For some aspects of operation, the only way to fully understand how the systems work has been through the experience of operating," plant owners wrote in the request to increase gas use.

Holland said the company always expected a ramp-up period of four years to reach maximum output. That extended period was not publicly disclosed, however. Holland said it is outlined in confidential agreements with two California utilities buying the power, Southern California Edison and Pacific Gas and Electric Co.

Brightsource said on its website that the weather has generally been substantially worse than historical averages — in other words, cloudy — resulting in reduced output in certain months.

"We remain confident that over time the sun at Ivanpah will be more than sufficient for the plant to meet its expected performance targets," the statement said.
ems that they are going to need to sort out."

Last edited:

firedog

It is so messed up that the "green energy" companies can come in and take over thousands of acres of land, the peoples land! Destroy the land with their whole operation (new roads, structures etc). Create dust to maintain the "green energy" facility. Displace the tortoise and even kill them. Kill birds ect all in the name of "green energy"! But we are not allowed to race on roads/washes/race course as we have been doing for many years. Oh and the best part, we pay for it thru government subsidies, our tax dollars at work! Boggles my mind! As it turns out the Ivanpah Solar Farm seems to be more of a natural gas power plant than solar!

Chas Moore

Ivanpah is that the same group who requested a 540 million dollar grant to pay off a 1.6b federal loan?

GloryBigs

I went by the BLM district office yesterday after work.
Wanted to ask some questions, some HR manager came out to try and help me.
I asked him where the OHV guy was or Lee Kirk? He said everyone was at a mandatory Law Enforcement seminar....Hmmm. The timing of the canceled meeting on 11/13, this Law Enforcement meeting and their reluctance to reschedule the last meeting seems like quite a coincidence.

Anyways the fella I spoke to said he was their HR manager, I said oh - Let me ask you a question....
If a wildlife or habitat specialist needs a college degree in the environmental sciences, what does a OHV specialist need a degree in? He attempted to evade the question but I pressed him by saying, surely you must know because you work in HR and see these peoples resumes before they are hired. He eventually broke down and admitted they need no specialized professional credentials or degrees. Interesting...

So then I asked him if the OHV specialist will be the one tasked with developing the Travel Management Plan, he responds yes, OHV specialist along with some other "specialists".

At this point I am thoroughly disgusted, so I ask him if the BLM comment page for the RMP is the proper place to ask questions about the information contained in the RMP? He says well you can make comments. I said I don't want to make comments until I have answers to questions. He says well I don't know if they will answer questions but they are accepting comments.
Also note that if you look at the paper handout the BLM was providing at the public meetings, it specifically tells you "How To Make Effective Comments". The handout does not mention "Questions" anywhere.

So pissed off by this point I ask him , So what is the date of the rescheduled Public Meeting you all canceled?
He replies, I don't know it has not been set yet.

Ok, I ask...The duration between when the meeting was canceled to when it gets rescheduled, will the Public comment cut off period be extended the same amount of time? His answer....nope.

J Prich

The BLM estimates that 1534 tortoises will be trans located , injured or killed during the building of the silver state south solar project near Primm so far they have killed 26. This is in the EA
Kenny,
Just a quick note becuase it's worth saying...thanks for all you're doing here.

randy68

I went by the BLM district office yesterday after work.
Wanted to ask some questions, some HR manager came out to try and help me.
I asked him where the OHV guy was or Lee Kirk? He said everyone was at a mandatory Law Enforcement seminar....Hmmm. The timing of the canceled meeting on 11/13, this Law Enforcement meeting and their reluctance to reschedule the last meeting seems like quite a coincidence.

Anyways the fella I spoke to said he was their HR manager, I said oh - Let me ask you a question....
If a wildlife or habitat specialist needs a college degree in the environmental sciences, what does a OHV specialist need a degree in? He attempted to evade the question but I pressed him by saying, surely you must know because you work in HR and see these peoples resumes before they are hired. He eventually broke down and admitted they need no specialized professional credentials or degrees. Interesting...

So then I asked him if the OHV specialist will be the one tasked with developing the Travel Management Plan, he responds yes, OHV specialist along with some other "specialists".

At this point I am thoroughly disgusted, so I ask him if the BLM comment page for the RMP is the proper place to ask questions about the information contained in the RMP? He says well you can make comments. I said I don't want to make comments until I have answers to questions. He says well I don't know if they will answer questions but they are accepting comments.
Also note that if you look at the paper handout the BLM was providing at the public meetings, it specifically tells you "How To Make Effective Comments". The handout does not mention "Questions" anywhere.

So pissed off by this point I ask him , So what is the date of the rescheduled Public Meeting you all canceled?
He replies, I don't know it has not been set yet.

Ok, I ask...The duration between when the meeting was canceled to when it gets rescheduled, will the Public comment cut off period be extended the same amount of time? His answer....nope.
WoW!