• Forum membership has its advantages....

BLM shooting people now?

OFFRD-JNKIE

It will be interesting to hear the whole story...

god damn cant **** post at all on here anymore. based on what is actually in any article related, we have zero informative details stating why weapons were drawn in the first place.

A large group of us were camping out in Plaster City, while we are packing up 2 BLM trucks pull up and ask for registration on everything with tires on the ground. No big deal, but all 4 officers were carrying M4 rifles with side arms and tons of ammo. Looked like Reno 911 meets call of duty nerds. I was very intimidated to say the least.

Chris

Yep I agree 98% comment.

Always two sides to every story. Blm side sounds quite thin but I guess we'll see how it unfolds over the coming days.

I ride that canyon all the time between Dillon and geology tour road loop and back. I love Joshua tree. Run into nps rangers and blm officers from time to time. Betweem the two, nps rangers have always been much friendlier, but blm have never been aggressive towards me.

R. Gross

Here is a little info that might not be well know and a reason why BLM LEO's are a different animal compared to LEO's such as Sheriffs or Police Officers. During a race a few years ago I was talking with the BLM Rec Planner who was in charge of the race and we watched as the assigned BLM LEO's got out of their trucks with flak jaks on, Glocks with belts of ammo and assumed the cop stance with hands on the hips at a race and I laughed. We were at a race with the best people in the world that would share anything you needed, not at some civil uprising.
So I ask the Rec Planner why does he not apply for the raise and get to wear a Flak Jak, carry a Glock and just drive around all day. He then told me that he does not even qualify to put in an application for the upgrade due to that BLM has a stipulation that you can not be a LEO unless you have been discharged from one of the four military branches.
Basically he told me that all LEO's have been to boot camp, broken down, rebuilt with the combat attitude, trained with all sorts of weapons with the willingness to use them. He also said isn't weird that you can apply for the Secret Service and protect the president, be a local Sheriff protecting our law abiding citizens, all with out a military background.
I never researched his statements or have the time to do so, but he is a honest guy and I would have no reason not to believe him.

snoreracer

Robert working with the BLM rec planer in Ely he said the hardest job he had was keeping the BLM ranger in the office so he didn't hassle the ranchers

J Prich

Here is a little info that might not be well know and a reason why BLM LEO's are a different animal compared to LEO's such as Sheriffs or Police Officers. During a race a few years ago I was talking with the BLM Rec Planner who was in charge of the race and we watched as the assigned BLM LEO's got out of their trucks with flak jaks on, Glocks with belts of ammo and assumed the cop stance with hands on the hips at a race and I laughed. We were at a race with the best people in the world that would share anything you needed, not at some civil uprising.
So I ask the Rec Planner why does he not apply for the raise and get to wear a Flak Jak, carry a Glock and just drive around all day. He then told me that he does not even qualify to put in an application for the upgrade due to that BLM has a stipulation that you can not be a LEO unless you have been discharged from one of the four military branches.
Basically he told me that all LEO's have been to boot camp, broken down, rebuilt with the combat attitude, trained with all sorts of weapons with the willingness to use them. He also said isn't weird that you can apply for the Secret Service and protect the president, be a local Sheriff protecting our law abiding citizens, all with out a military background.
I never researched his statements or have the time to do so, but he is a honest guy and I would have no reason not to believe him.

I personally call BS. I work for a different agency in the dept, so no first hand knowledge of BLM but I know enough about federal hiring practices that I can all but guarantee that at least formally, no agency can mandate that you must have a military background to fill an LEO job. No agency would attempt to formalize it because under federal rules it would subject them to all sorts of vulnerabilities for unfair hiring practices.

What they COULD do is informally only be hiring prior military dudes because that's their preference, and they can do it under the guise of claiming that those guys are the "most qualified", which speaks more to the good ol boys practices many find appalling about the bureaucracy but again, to my knowledge it's not even legal for an agency to have that kind of qualification requirement.

R. Gross

I personally call BS. I work for a different agency in the dept, so no first hand knowledge of BLM but I know enough about federal hiring practices that I can all but guarantee that at least formally, no agency can mandate that you must have a military background to fill an LEO job. No agency would attempt to formalize it because under federal rules it would subject them to all sorts of vulnerabilities for unfair hiring practices.

What they COULD do is informally only be hiring prior military dudes because that's their preference, and they can do it under the guise of claiming that those guys are the "most qualified", which speaks more to the good ol boys practices many find appalling about the bureaucracy but again, to my knowledge it's not even legal for an agency to have that kind of qualification requirement.

Prich,
Agreed it just may be there preference on who to hire for those positions. Like I said, I never felt compelled to verify if it was a specific stipulation, just what I was told. He said he would never be approved for that upgrade due to that he had never served in the armed forces.
In the big picture I hope they just calm down a little and saving Jean would be nice.

Veterans have preference in most if not all LE agencies. They call it Veterans Preference Points. You apply they score you on entrance exams, physical exams etc. Vets start out with a higher score than a regular civilian due to the vet preference points. So after it's all said and done they take an allotted number of people with whatever score they are looking for and give them academy invitations. I also call BS because that would be discriminative to people who have never served in the armed forces.