Block to WRC?

Kartman

Media Goon
Atkinson tight-lipped about Monster opportunity

Chris Atkinson has declined to comment on speculation linking him to a return to the WRC in 2010 as part of a new top-level team backed by Monster energy drink and led by American rally star Ken Block.

According to a story in the British press, Block is just weeks away from finalising a deal to run the 'Monster Energy Drink World Rally Team' in association with Ford's rally partner M-Sport, for the next three WRC seasons.

Block, who drives for the Monster-backed Subaru USA rally team, has tackled a handful of WRC rallies in the Group N class, but has become a rallying hero in his homeland thanks mainly to the 'Gymkhana' series of internet stunt driving videos, featuring him at the wheel of a rally-spec Subaru Impreza.

Block reportedly wants his friend, former Subaru driver Chris Atkinson, to join him in the team next year.

But while M-Sport boss Malcolm Wilson has admitted talks with Block's management team had been going on 'for some time' Chris Atkinson, who last made a WRC appearance on this year's Rally Ireland, wouldn't confirm or deny the story.

Chris's manager told wrc.com: "Our clear objective is to get Chris back in the WRC in a competitive car as soon as possible, and we're doing everything we can to make that happen. We're having ongoing discussions with a number of different parties for 2010 but, as you'd expect, we can't comment on any individual stories."

Block, meanwhile, has made no secret of his desire to have a serious attempt at the WRC. Speaking to WRC TV last month, he said: "I would love to have the opportunity to race in the WRC, I think my skill level is getting close as far as the actual driving, but I need a lot more experience, especially a lot more experience on the two-pass recce side. It's all about opportunities, though, and hopefully someday I’ll have that opportunity.

"To be able to do Rally Finland in a WRC car - that to me is the epitome of rallying - I would love to do that someday," he added.

CharlieIII

That would definitely be sweet to see. It would also be nice to be able to understand the co-dog if Ken is piloting...

spalind

It's great for Block and Atkinson and Ford. Sucks for Subie and Rally America...Pastrana now has NO competition there and Subie just lost one of their two meal tickets....And with Ford putting their money into the WRC they may not have any coin to field a team in RA. That would be the best thing for RA—if Block used RA to work on his Fiesta testing here as it states he is only planning on running a partial WRC schedule next year. Otherwise...RA is in big trouble...it is losing the XGames and now is losing Block(theoreticly). Can't see Travis sticking around and running all year agains also-rans...