Blu-Ray poll

Blu-Ray, do you own a player and would you buy a desert racing DVD in Blu-Ray?

• I don't own a player but plan to this year.

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • I own a PS3 and would buy a desert racing Blu-Ray disc.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • I own a Blu-Ray player (not PS3) and would buy a desert racing Blu-Ray disc.

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • I don't own a Blu-Ray player and have no plans to buy one even if desert racing videos were availabl

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I would pay $30-35 for a Blu-Ray disc.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wouldn't buy it if it cost more than $30.

Votes: 25 33.3%

• Total voters

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
I'm IN! Put me down for one

I would vote I own a PS3 and would pay $30 - 50 for a blu ray disc

spalind

Reaction
I'll add this option for myself:

I don't own a Blu-Ray player but would buy one AND pay between $30-$35 for DP7 in BluRay...

Jack

Reaction
Will it be any different? Is the race footage taped and edited at a image fidelity above what can be done with regular DVD? I see no reson to do this just for a format change, but if the picture will be even beter then it has been already then sign me up.
I understand that blue ray can be better, but the media must be beter for it to matter.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
I have a 47" Vizio 1080p 120Hz LCD and hope to buy a Blu-Ray player If I can start getting some consistent income...

The price of BR movies is killing me though... Curtis, I'm sure lower production numbers cost a lot more than DVD but please if you can answer... Does it really cost the studios 50 to 100% more to manufacturer a BR disc versus a DVD disc????:confused::eek:

It seems to me that the recording industry and the movie industry have worked hand in hand to manipulate prices... I remember that before DVD came out CD cost 9.99 usually at regular prices and would be on sale for 7.99 when they were new release on sale. Then as DVD came out and got popular the prices of CDs increased to 14.99 or even 17.99 for regular prices and 12.99 or occasionally 9.99 on sale for new releases. This allowed the movie industry to justify selling a DVD for 17.99 to 19.99 or more regular and 14.99 new release sale for a disc that consumers perceive as the same size and prob similar cost. (I do know that DVD cost substantially less than VHS did same for CD versus cassette from a manufacturing cost.) Now with Blu-Ray disc winning out over HDDVD, we seem to be seeing the same escalation where DVD movies have recently gone through general price increases of $2-$5 for both regular and sale prices for DVD movies to justify the high sales price of BR discs at around 29.99. Am I seeing conspiracy where there is none or did this happen and is it happening again?

Realistically how much does it cost to produce a CD vs DVD vs Blu-Ray disc at mainstream mass production volumes and also at independent release volumes like your DP series?

Curtis, please do not take this as an attack on you or the DP series, I am just hoping that you might have some answers to questions that have been bothering me since DVDs started being sold at a retail level.:D

Finally, I also have a couple Blu-Ray player questions that anyone with one should be able to answer... Is the picture quality of Blu-Ray discs significantly better than DVD in the real world of your living room? The transition from VHS to DVD was a significant leap in audio and video quality, is the transition from DVD to Blu-Ray as significant or is it a minor advance? Does the Blu-Ray player really make my DVDs look and sound better by "upconverting" the picture? And, if it does make my DVDs better, is it worth it to spend twice as much on a BR new release vs a DVD new release when a movie comes out that we want to buy as a family???

Thanks a million in advance to anyone who answers and helps, especially Curtis!!!:D

m80ondirt

Reaction
I voted I own one and will buy a dvd.
I was able to purchase a magnavox blu ray at wal mart for $168 a month ago, so the prices are coming down. Just as when HD channels first came out , you can tell a difference with a blu ray movie, it is sharper.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
I voted I own one and will buy a dvd.
I was able to purchase a magnavox blu ray at wal mart for $168 a month ago, so the prices are coming down. Just as when HD channels first came out , you can tell a difference with a blu ray movie, it is sharper.
I was thinking about buying that same player... do you like it?

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
I have been editing in HD since DP4 so I have masters of them ready for HD output. We do use some SD footage like allot of the onboard cameras and some footage that friends give us to use is in SD, but I am very selective on those shots and only use the exciting ones. DP4 was primarily shot in the HDV format with Sony cameras and was edited in 1080i. DP5, 6 and now 7 were shot with primarily Panasonic HVX200's in 720p so we could use the slow motion feature of the camera. We can shoot in 1080 but you would never notice the difference on a regular DVD, and it is really hard to tell the difference between 720 and 1080 on a TV unless you have the two side by side to analyze them.

So to answer your questions I would not be upresing regular SD DVD content to put on a Blu-Ray disc.

Chris, the short answer to your question is yes, replicating Blu-Ray discs are easily 2-4 times more than standard DVD depending on quantity, and we would be doing a very small run if we did it. Plus there is a licensing fee for Blu-Ray.

I might be buying a Blu-Ray burner to make my own to test. If there are little to no compatibility issues with most players we might offer a limited run of those. That is still up in the air though. No definite plans.

QurtysLyn

Reaction
Where's the "I'll buy one after I get a monitor or TV that makes it worth it" option? I would like to get one for my 'puter, but it requires I get a better monitor first.

Oh well, it's on the list.

bomber

Reaction
I would definitely buy a DP movie in blu-ray. When I play the last couple DP movies on my PS3, it looks very close to HD quality already and has made me really want to see one on blu-ray to see the details of the vehicles and the terrain even more.

michael_loomis

Reaction
For those of you with NO PLANS FOR BLU RAY, just imagine all of your videos looking BETTER than the Chet Huffman slow mo footage!

HDRA1

The Godfather
Reaction
<<not a techno geek i still have a VCR and just do the dvd thing myself so i would be fine with the old way i just got to find that cassete tape of social distortion live lol

m80ondirt

Reaction
So far so good, I have purchased some real bad electronic equip in my time, it has worked fine so far.
I wish I got a sony but not for a $100 more.
will keep you updated...

Chris Tobin

Reaction
So far so good, I have purchased some real bad electronic equip in my time, it has worked fine so far.
I wish I got a sony but not for a $100 more.
will keep you updated...
Cool, thanks!:D

randy s

Reaction
Will it be any different? Is the race footage taped and edited at a image fidelity above what can be done with regular DVD? I see no reson to do this just for a format change, but if the picture will be even beter then it has been already then sign me up.
I understand that blue ray can be better, but the media must be beter for it to matter.
there's some movies where blu-ray doesn't really matter all that much where they film indoors or at night, but for an off road desert racing movie, it would be the absolute bomb. i'd buy it in a heartbeat. scenic outdoor flicks and animation is where blu-ray shines. i guarantee you that if you watched that first five minutes with rg at the 500 in blu-ray, you have to change your pants.

randy s

Reaction
whatever you do, DON'T buy a sony model BDP-s300 or s301. i've already worn the thing out and have since purchased a panasonic dmp-8060. there's even a class action suit being proposed against sony on those pieces of s--t. you'd think that sony would have their s--t together but i've never been so disappointed in a purchase in my life. the panasonic seems to be a pretty good machine so far. blu-ray is the bomb and would be an outstanding format for a desert racing video so count me in.

randy s

Reaction
i'm confused a bit on how blu-ray works. i have old movies that i've bought in blu-ray that weren't initially filmed in blu-ray like dana browns' "step into liquid". can't you shoot the thing in a regular format and covert it to blu-ray and sell them both?

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
The PS3 has been one of the best Blu-Ray players in the market for along time. Not sure if it still is but all the tech/geek shows I have seen have always said that. One reason is because of all the updates it receives when connected to the internet. I know some of the other players can get updates also.

Randy, Blu-Ray is the type of disc that HD content is released on. Blu-Ray is not it's own format, although there are some consumer cameras that shoot HD to Blu-Ray discs. Movies that are shot on 35mm film (I assume Step into liquid was) can be transferred to Blu-Ray and look allot better than a DVD. Same as movies shot in HD that are released in Blu-Ray. 35mm can have the same or larger resolution than HD. It all depends on how its shot and transferred. Blu-Ray displays 720 or 1080 content (the two HD resolutions). Initially there were allot of movies that had crappy transfers to Blu-Ray but I think most of them are good now. You can probably do a search online before buying a movie.

Patrick Norton (pphat) is on here and he hosts a couple of tech shows. They just started a new one called HD Nation. Check it out if you want to learn more about everything HD http://revision3.com/hdnation/