Blu-Ray poll

Blu-Ray, do you own a player and would you buy a desert racing DVD in Blu-Ray?

• I don't own a player but plan to this year.

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • I own a PS3 and would buy a desert racing Blu-Ray disc.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • I own a Blu-Ray player (not PS3) and would buy a desert racing Blu-Ray disc.

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • I don't own a Blu-Ray player and have no plans to buy one even if desert racing videos were availabl

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I would pay $30-35 for a Blu-Ray disc.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wouldn't buy it if it cost more than $30.

Votes: 25 33.3%

• Total voters

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Back to the prices of DVDs. One thing I haven't understood is how most of the freestyle motocross DVDs are charging $30 each for a regular DVD (Crusty, Nitro Circus, etc..). They have been doing that for at least 2 or 3 years. Most desert racing DVDs have held the $25 price since we released DP1 in 2001. The only justification I can see in charging $30-35 is if it's on Blu-Ray because it's higher quality and costs more to produce.
I would like to be able to charge more for our DVDs because production costs have gone up over the years. But I know I probably wouldn't pay more than $25 for a standard DVD right now so I don't expect anyone else to.

gil_caz

Reaction
the problem is sometimes the dvds are ok, and sometimes there great.

if i paid $35 for dp4, id be let down, but $35 for dp5 is justifiable.

with that said, i will be in line to buy any dp video in hd.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
whatever you do, DON'T buy a sony model BDP-s300 or s301. i've already worn the thing out and have since purchased a panasonic dmp-8060. there's even a class action suit being proposed against sony on those pieces of s--t. you'd think that sony would have their s--t together but i've never been so disappointed in a purchase in my life. the panasonic seems to be a pretty good machine so far. blu-ray is the bomb and would be an outstanding format for a desert racing video so count me in.

Wow, usually Sony is good stuff! That is very surprising. Thanks for the warning! I think it is pretty funny how the size of the players shrank dramatically from 1st gen models to 2nd gen units...

The PS3 has been one of the best Blu-Ray players in the market for along time. Not sure if it still is but all the tech/geek shows I have seen have always said that. One reason is because of all the updates it receives when connected to the internet. I know some of the other players can get updates also.

Randy, Blu-Ray is the type of disc that HD content is released on. Blu-Ray is not it's own format, although there are some consumer cameras that shoot HD to Blu-Ray discs. Movies that are shot on 35mm film (I assume Step into liquid was) can be transferred to Blu-Ray and look allot better than a DVD. Same as movies shot in HD that are released in Blu-Ray. 35mm can have the same or larger resolution than HD. It all depends on how its shot and transferred. Blu-Ray displays 720 or 1080 content (the two HD resolutions). Initially there were allot of movies that had crappy transfers to Blu-Ray but I think most of them are good now. You can probably do a search online before buying a movie.

Patrick Norton (pphat) is on here and he hosts a couple of tech shows. They just started a new one called HD Nation. Check it out if you want to learn more about everything HD http://revision3.com/hdnation/

Thanks again Curtis! Keep up the good work!

randy s

Reaction
Wow, usually Sony is good stuff! That is very surprising. Thanks for the warning! I think it is pretty funny how the size of the players shrank dramatically from 1st gen models to 2nd gen units...

Thanks again Curtis! Keep up the good work!
i've always had good luck with sony until i bought this particular model blu-ray player. i know they make alot of different models and maybe there are better players available, but the fact that the sony factory and their reps have offered no help with these problems [they even tried to blame the people who make the blu-ray discs] when they know damn well it's a POS has soured my opinion of the way they do business so screw em'.

ThriceGuy

Reaction
Yeah good point. Quality means allot also. Another problem is that it's impossible to please everyone. Someone might think a DVD is the best ever and the next person thinks it sucks...

Im all up for a Bluray version. What about the soundtrack? Are the normal DVD's just regular 5.1? How much easier is it to add a uncompressed track to the Bluray version? Not sure if that is even necessary though since most people probably don't have A/V receivers capables of decoding DTS HD, Dolby HD, or Uncompressed PCM.

J.COLEMAN

Reaction
Blu Ray is definately an awesome quality picture. The HD off - road stuff is great now, in Blu ray would be really cool! Cost sucks but for the ultimate picture sometimes can be worth it.. What would Planet earth be without HD Blu ray quality..? Go Blu ray.