blue 87? yota with tundra tails...

geoff

Reaction
ive seen pics of your truck on total chaos's site and i think protrux, but i saw it at kartek this past friday. I was wondeirng what your 9" rear came out of, and also why didnt you mount the deavers on the side of the frame rail, rather than using lowering blocks? Just curious. thanks.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka

drtdevil93

Reaction
cant mount the springs on the side on a toyota, unless you are widening the rear axle significantly (you need about another 3-4" per side). then again, with the spring under the axle, blocks arent the greatest idea, as precious ground clearance is lost. even if you are widening the rear enough to do it, it isnt necessary, and i dont see any advantage of doing it. not to say, however, that an unconventional setup cant work....

erik

geoff

Reaction
it looked like it had an extremely wide 9" on it, so it seems to me it would fit on the side of the frame rail.

ive noticed on many rock crawlers mounting the springs on the side. Im sure that setting the springs up properly would make a lot of sense, particularly for someone whose truck seems to get a lot of desert usage, i realize your pointe erik, i was just a little thrown off by the ~1.5" blocks... i like the width of the axle tho and woul dlove to know what it came out of.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka

TDORSloppy

Reaction
Geoff, the rear end came out of a building called Currie Enterprises, you may have heard of them, they're from Anaheim. :) I was thinking of hanging the leafs off the side but I've seen plenty of Rangers with bent mounts and it's a lot cheaper to buy pre made hangers and shackles than it is to make custom ones. I went to Ocotillo on Saturday and found the shackle bolts hit my fuel cell tray and rubs on the frame rails. (If anyone knows the best place to buy Delrin plate, please IM me.) Besides that, we cycled 18" in the back and the rear end is 76.5" tire to tire. Front is 76" on the nose.

As for the lowering blocks, the Currie extreme housing with their rear truss can only angle back so far without hitting the spring at full droop. When my fab guy put the spring pads on we found the pinion angle was way off, about 12 degrees too far down. This happened also in part of the Deaver F55's, which are supposedly made for a truck with a fuel cell, cage, and spare. They were way to arced for my truck and the thing sat 2.5" too high. The blocks are temporary for now until I get the springs de-arched and I get my spring pads moved.

Good guess on the year of my truck, you were only a year off.

geoff

Reaction
cool thanks for the reply. kartek is a pretty sick shop, i was really impressed, and felt like spending my life savings. Im glad there are no shops like that in az heh.

how much did you spend on that rear? Also do you know what the width from hub flange to hub flange and WMS to WMS is? Thanks again

TDORSloppy

Reaction
the stock axle was 58" flange to flange and I just matched the front end which was 64". 3" per side. It's pretty f*cking wide now but handles like a champ. Oh btw, I spent approx. $1000 on the whole setup but I used up a lot of favors. Just some of the benefits of working for a off-road company.

geoff

Reaction
jsut wanted to clarify, it hink the stock axle is 58" WMS to WMS, and flange to flange is more like 55 or 54? Add 2 inches for the brake surface, to get 58. A 64" wide flange to flange 9" would be crazy big.

to lower the truck you could possibly pie cut the frame? It isnt that hard, i did it for my 4 link and although you have to cut striaght, its certainly not an impossible task.