BLUERIBBION ALERT

Paige

Reaction
*** BLUERIBBON ALERT *** BLUERIBBON ALERT *** BLUERIBBON ALERT ***
Comments must be in by Thursday, September 12th!

Dear Subscriber:

President Bush has announced his new Forest Health Initiative in response to the record number of acres of public and private lands devastated by catastrophic wildfires, along with hundreds of homes destroyed, and over a score of human lives lost. The need for the initiative is the inability of the Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management to effectively respond due to gridlock within the agencies. This gridlock is a result of a steady stream of appeals and legal challenges by anti-recreation and anti-access groups, and has resulted in “Analysis Paralysis,” in the words of Forest Service Chief Dale Bosworth.

To take action now and send a letter to your congressionals supporting the President’s initiative, go to:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://capwiz.com/share/issues/alert/?alertid=472801>http://capwiz.com/share/issues/alert/?alertid=472801</A>

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>

Catawampus

Reaction
We need a comprehensive forest management plan. The administration's proposal asks citizens to TRUST the companies and groups entrusted with such “fuel clearing” contracts that they will make decisions on which trees to cut based on the needs of the forest, not on economic considerations.
Site all previous Bush administration decisions to overturn environmental laws in favor of economic or commercial interests. Be careful . . .

Kim

martininsocal

Reaction
Kim- I believe the actual plan calls for actual protections like you are seeking. Contrary to your beliefs, private industry does not get to go onto public lands and cut what they want. Both the state and the federal forests use forestors thay employ to go out and mark the trees that will be removed. I have read about the tolerances at work and they specify no trees over 200 years old and no trees with a BHG more than 20 inches. What thay means is that trees basically in the range of 20-100 years will be cut, and those will be selected by state and federal employees. After the select cut is done, private industry will then rehab the site with slash burns and water bar construction to prevent erossion. The days of clearcutting are all but over except for a small select species of trees. Some species need direct sunlight to grow, so clear cutting is the best way to start the next generation. Other species will not release the seeds from cones without temperatures above 120 degrees, so fire is needed for those species to start a new generation. The forest industry is well aware of the fact that they have to manage trees wisely, or they will have nothing to cut in 20 years and will go out of business. Unlike the Dot.Com crowd and WallStreet, most Timber Harvest companies have been past on from one generation to the next for the last 100 years. These are family run businesses that feel they have a responsibility to make the forest a better place. Unfortunately, we do not live anywhere near a true "tree farm", or I could show you the difference between a managed forest and one that has been mismanaged.

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Don't let the name of this plan fool you. It is about pure economics and not about preventing forest fires. Don't get me wrong, we DRASTICALLY need a plan to prevent forrest fires and that also allows access to these areas, but as Kim said, it needs to be a comprehensive plan. I trust Bush about as far as I can throw him when it comes to him and his "plans" for the environment. There has got to be a happy medium between the Bush camp and the Gore camp!

Lest we remind you.....

All donations to the Bush Campaign took place during the 2001-2002 election cycle and were released by the Federal Election Commission on Monday, July 29, 2002.

1 International Paper $478,708.00
2 Georgia Pacific Corp. $329,342.00
3 Weyerhaeuser Co. $107,611.00
4 American Forest & Paper Assn $97,810.00
5 National Hardwood Lumber Assn. $65,806.00
6 Forest Farmers Assn $52,400.00
7 Boise Cascade $48,050.00

Total from top 20 $2,369,446.00

The resident "enviro freak" :)

See ya in the dirt!

Catawampus

Reaction
Martin – I hope so.

Don’t you just love this stuff . . . Here we go again. I am as stubborn as anyone.

All I am saying is watch-out. The responsibility of the people who sign petitions does not end with their signature. I hope that each and every one of them will hold our “representatives” and the companies and groups entrusted, responsible for the proper management of our lands.

Do I trust Bush and his crony’s – absolutely no!

Pray for Peace - Kim

“Think – It’s Patriotic”

Catawampus

Reaction
I don't find too much difference anymore between parties in the two party system. I wasn’t aware that Gore was for shutting down public access to public lands. Please substantiate.

Bryan_D

Reaction
From what I have heard in my classes dealing with ecology and tourism and forestry, Al Gore is much more of a "tree hugger" than Bush and that he is much more for the save the land as it is and that some areas should be closed to public access. Not to mention he is much more for the cleaning of the air, which I agree to, to a point is good, but the extreme that he was looking at would not allow for unclean burning vehicles, such as race cars as well as ATVs, to be on public land. This is why I said what I had said. I did not mean to step on toes, I was just stating what I had heard in classes, there is much more that I could talk on as far as the forest issues, but that is a whole other issue.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Byran -
As a biology student you should be much more sensitive to the environment and the effects certain aspects play on it. Otherwise, you might find yourself out of work!

The key to knowledge is through understanding

See ya in the dirt!

Catawampus

Reaction
Well – I think your right about Gore being more of a “tree hugger”, and I do not think this is always bad. Future Americans deserve more then just “leftovers” and we should not have the attitude that all of our natural resources are for our immediate consumption. A good leader and a “good politician” (a oxymoron?) should know how to balance these issues to work out what’s best for the American people – and not be influenced by past and future campaign contributions. Travis made a comment on another thread about “the best of two evils” so choose your poison. If you want a good laugh, I voted for Nader, because of his integrity, intelligence, and belief in world peace – which in its self was enough to influence my vote. Public land users and off-roaders may gasp being he ran under the Green Party – but their foundation of belief to solve world problems without violence and respect for all human life is vastly more important to me then a position on saving trees. And hey - you are not stepping on any toes here it great to discuss issues!

Peace - Kim