Bob "The Weatherman" Steinberger passed away this morning

Will_Higman

Dakar Finisher
RDC Crypto
Website
www.willhigman.com
Having grown up racing Baja in the early 1980’s I got to know Bob quite well, so much so it was “Bob do you copy this is Will.” Thank you to the entire PCI and Steinberger family for all the help over the years along with sharing the icon known as the Weatherman with all of us. All happy and good memories no bad… Condolences to the family.

J Burleson

RDC Crypto
I grew up far from the desert and only watching and listening for many many years from the sideline. That first time I had a chance to say "Weatherman do you copy?" was alone extremely exciting. Getting the call back, "this is Weatherman, go ahead" felt like hearing the voice of God! A true legend of motorsports that will be missed! Condolences to the family and friends

Advertising supports this site

BANNED4LIFE

RDC Crypto
every once in a while, i would have something unsugarcoated to say on his channel without identifying myself.....but i must have a distinct voice and he would ALWAYS catch me and give me sh it about it...haha....and in my biz, i seem to be out in baja getting people to the finishline LATE into the night and even the next day....bob was a badass and would be up night and day trying to keep everyone safe and teams informed that there guy was "still moving".....i love you bob......

9rocky

RDC Crypto
Truly a man among men.

Godspeed Weatherman.

desert_flamingos

RDC Crypto
I am sorry to hear today of the passing of Bob Steinberger “The Weatherman”. The Baja 1000 in 1989 was my first race as a SCORE checkpoint official at Camalu. I became a SCORE checkpoint captain in 1992 at the Baja 500. I worked 95% of all the SCORE races until 2012 when Sal sold Score to Roger. My job at the checkpoint was working the radio. I spent many long nights out on the race courses into the early am hours relaying to Bob each vehicle and bike that came thru my checkpoint. Our checkpoint never closed until I had relayed to Bob the “last 5 cars” which had finally arrived after passing thru the previous checkpoint. The past 23 years working for SCORE and with the weatherman was a great experience in my life, and having the opportunity to know him was a real honor. God Speed Bob!

sb4pro

RDC Crypto
I will never forget the Richard Cranium award . It used to be annoying when people would hang their mikes but now I'll smile just a lil when they do it . ;)

BigBlue&Goldie

RDC Crypto
Racing always felt safer when Weatherman was watching over us. I appreciate all he and the PCI team has done for our sport. I hope Weatherman keeps tabs on us from above.

swiftracing5

RDC Crypto
The voice i never really wanted to hear as a chaser, but man was it good to hear him when you were in the race car(and usually parked broke down). This one hurts a lot. Thanks for all you've done Bob.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Steve Marolda

RDC Crypto
Not too many years ago I was listening to the live feed from Baja. A spectator was injured and not breathing and Bob had to tell the people attending to the man that medical help was still 20-30 minutes out. You could hear it in his voice, it was a gut-wrenching moment that could have stopped anyone in their tracks. But the race was still on and there were thousands of people still in need of his help and that he couldn't give up. And he didn't.

Baja Bryan

RDC Crypto
RIP Weatherman.. He was a big part of everyone racing the last several decades. Cant imagine how we would have dont it without him.

johndjmix

RDC Crypto
Rest peaceful my friend. A legend for all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Fourstroker

RDC Crypto
Among all the things he did at the races I appreciated most something he did that wasn't at the races. He took time out of his life to drive from AZ to CA and attend one of the last FAIR meetings in an effort to see why were struggling and to se if there was anyway he could help. Was shocked to get a couple follow-up calls to gauge progress. I barely knew the man(personally) before that and he earned even more respect from me. RIP Weatherman. You will be sorely missed

Racer277

RDC Crypto
Our hearts go out to his family and friends.
Godspeed Bob
We will so miss listening to his voice.

12LaPaz

RDC Crypto
Such a heartbreaking day, Bob took such good care of us all in the mists of such a dangerous sport, just knowing he was there for us, allowed us all to push that much harder & we all did ... Only through my tears can I express how I feel right now. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of the Steinberger family, all of the PCI family, and to all those like myself who were fortunate enough to know him.

Gods speed Bob

You will live on in our hearts forever.

Jerry

RDC Crypto
every once in a while, i would have something unsugarcoated to say on his channel without identifying myself.....but i must have a distinct voice and he would ALWAYS catch me and give me sh it about it...haha....and in my biz, i seem to be out in baja getting people to the finishline LATE into the night and even the next day....bob was a badass and would be up night and day trying to keep everyone safe and teams informed that there guy was "still moving".....i love you bob......

From a Facebook post I made.

"Richard Cranium". What a pleasant way to get your point across without being completely vulgar. Do you think he considered his audience, I do.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Dirty Harry

RDC Crypto
Website
www.harrysituations.com
"Weatherman" has become a term in our community like "Kleenex" or "Band aid" but the original Weatherman can never be replaced.

My condolences to the Steinbergers and PCI.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

BANNED4LIFE

RDC Crypto
when i went to visit him in the cancer hospital last week....i was representing ALL OF US.....and he knew it.......i tried to get the nurses to order me dinner from the kitchen cuz bob couldnt eat it due to the cancer he had, and i was starving.....they said NO and bob just laughed......i ate poptarts and chips and anything i could choke down out of the vending machines.......stayed late till the nurses kicked me out and our boy was ready to sleep anyway.....................he loved all of us too......