Body swap and vin numbers

wrightracing.net

Reaction
Ok here is my Question. If I put a 1970 ford Body on a 1986 ford frame/drivetrain do I need to register it as a 1986 or can I keep the 1970 registration? The Vin is on the Body so is that OK or what?

LIL ROG

Reaction
well the dont check any other vin besides the one on the body that offten so I would think you would be fine. What if you took the vin of the body of the the frame that you want and put it on the body you want to use?

wrightracing.net

Reaction
well the dont check any other vin besides the one on the body that offten so I would think you would be fine. What if you took the vin of the body of the the frame that you want and put it on the body you want to use?

What I want to do is put a older smog exept body on a newer rolling chassis thus I do not have to smog the truck.

Shaggy

Reaction
You register the body. You also run the risk of whoever inspects it noticing the newer frame and engine. Never say never. Has it been done, Yes. Is it totally legal, No. Its an engine swap to the original body. If you get caught avoiding smog, then you could get dinged.

Triaged

Reaction
Actually the registration goes with the frame. If you do a "Body Change" you are required to submit a REG256(part E). However what is legal and what you can get away with are often 2 different things.