Bonneville Off-Road Racing - Knolls 200 at Night - August 22, 2020

kyle_pc_75

Reaction
The BOR Knolls 200 race is on! Located between Salt Lake City and Wendover on I-80, Knolls has a little bit of everything, mountains, sand, whoops, dry lake bed, and silt.

This year for a little change we'll be starting in the day and racing into the evening. More details forthcoming.

Knolls 2020 final.jpg

DSC05473_1.JPG

DSC05441_1.JPG

0108-IamSeaWolf-20190824.jpg

Rossbergs-30.jpg

Anger Issues

Reaction
Hey Kyle... I hate to ask but just saw the BITD update about the BLM not officially giving the V2R the green light due to the new spikes. I realize this race will be a bit smaller (ha ha) and not be in large cities, etc. Where does BOR stand with regards to "signed permits", etc. I don't know the process a promoter has to go through or what the last steps are.

Is camping in the pits at this race "game-on" like Jackpot? Looking forward to racing someplace new and we might even put some air in our tires this time! Ha ha. We LOVE racing with lights! What time is pre-run??

MTPyle

Reaction
that was a great race last year, super fun. We plan to do this years race if the truck is in good condition after V2R. from the sounds of it the truck might be in really good condition after V2R LOL

Mike

kyle_pc_75

Reaction
@Anger Issues totally valid questions, we're going to give BLM a call tomorrow, as of a few weeks ago things were still a-ok. As far as I know, Speed Week is still a go on the Salt Flats this coming weekend (same district) and there numbers are in the thousands if not more. They, like us, do most everything outdoors. Things can always change but last we talked we're still a go. Camping in the pits is a go, there are plenty of pit and portable toilets. The nearest hotels are about 40 miles away in Wendover.

@CentralWAbaja @swiftracing5 Stoked you guys are coming out, though it's a bummer about NORRA.

@MTPyle we always strive to get a few V2R leftovers haha! We can't guarantee much in the way of post race engine inspections, though. :D

2020 Knolls White Knuckles Schedule.jpg

kyle_pc_75

Reaction
Just an FYI, no response from BLM yesterday, but then again it was Friday... Having said that, there was NO indication from them that our event might be postponed or otherwise affected by the 'Rona, we were just being proactive given the news from BITD.

I will let you all know as soon as we do if anything changes.

Goober

Reaction
that was a great race last year, super fun. We plan to do this years race if the truck is in good condition after V2R. from the sounds of it the truck might be in really good condition after V2R LOL

Mike
How come you don’t test at Knolls?

MTPyle

Reaction
How come you don’t test at Knolls?
knolls is a fun race course but no whoop sections or places to really test out our set up. Also lots of UTV and ATVs traffic. Maybe in the middle of the week It would be OK but it’s still not great. But it’s probably the best place we have and may go out there next time.

I just never think about going north.

Mike

kyle_pc_75

Reaction
Knolls 2020 Race Map.jpg

'Rona Rules:

Please stay at home if you have tested positive for the virus, have been exposed and have been directed to quarantine by your doctor, or are experiencing any symptoms including fever, cough, shortness of breath, or fatigue. Other COVID-19 precautions include the following event protocol:

• We suggest you wear a face mask at all times during the event.
  • Face masks are required at the Drivers’ Meeting, Awards Ceremony, when going through tech, registration, and signing waivers or any other activity requiring close physical interaction with others.
  • Practice social distancing by staying six feet apart in the Main Pit area. Wear a mask when this is not possible.
  • Wash your hands often, and/or use hand sanitizer when washing is not available.
  • Park more than 10 feet away from neighbors
  • Please stay home and consider attending a future event if you are considered at high risk
  • Refrain from wandering or visiting neighbors
  • Leave no trace and pack out trash
  • Avoid touching the face
Utah and Nevada states, counties and businesses such as stations, stores, etc have their own guidelines, please follow those while in their respective jurisdictions/property. Please check with the appropriate authority for the latest regulations and guidelines.

MTPyle

Reaction
We are racing for sure. Can’t wait. We have a little work to do on the truck but it’s manageable.

see you this weekend.

Mike

kyle_pc_75

Reaction
Looks like there's a little error on the map mileages at 25/30...haha. Total should be about right.

MTPyle

Reaction
We had a blast at this years race. Great turnout and super fun course. The dust got bad at night with no wind but that made for some fun racing. We had 7 vehicles in our class (heavy Metal). 2 other 6100, 2 TT, 8 truck, and Class 1. It was 5 laps of a 40 mile course.

We got to the race pretty prepared as we didn't have to do much from V2R race.

Carson (17) was driving the first 3 laps with Connor (24) as Co driver. Then they planned to do a chinese fire drill and swap seats after lap 3.

In staging Connor's in ears were not working and he could not hear. He took out his in ears and just had the helmet speakers. The helmet speakers only work when the engine is not screaming loud. So I knew they would be having communication issues all day.

Carson got into a grove and was making good time. The blue 6186 from Mesquite (Reed is on here but not sure of his screen name) was pulling away and running a fast early pace, I think they had 10 minutes on us. The TT of Bill Apgood was in first with the fastest laps and we were in 3rd. The 8 truck of Richard had a flat on lap one and failed Alternator so he fell back but was super fast and would catch back up. Funny side story we were pitted next to Richard and he came in with a flat. Not one person was in his pits so our guys ran over to help change his tire. Some of his crew showed up and had a impact but with no socket or battery so we ran back to our pit to grab an impact. It was pretty entertaining to watch. I dont even know if he realized it was us that changed the tire. LOL

Edit- I forgot that Brian Bohnam in the other 6100 truck came into our pit on the first lap and asked us to take off his hood. I guess he could not see over it. LOL Our guys got it off fast and he was back on course. SO the first lap was pretty exciting for us in the pits.

Second lap Carson picked up the pace and was running strong. Somehow we were using more fuel than we planned so we stopped after the second lap to splash some fuel. With the pressure pro it was super fast. The total pit was less than 20 seconds and we added over 20 gallons. we are finally getting dialed in on the Pressure pro and being super fast and safe. We had all guys in fire gear and two guys on big extinguishers. It was nice to watch us look and act more like a pro team.

Across the pits was RST Brands with both the TT's. Jayson came in with a cracked PS pump. we watched them scramble to weld it which was fun. Who says these small races are not exciting. LOL

Then down the pits we saw a huge flash and smoke. A UTV that was being fueled caught on fire. Paramedics went down there and we heard someone got burnt. But we didn't get any more details. Hopefully they will be OK and it was not bad. Fueling UTV's is no joke.

I think on lap 3 Reed in the 6186 had a fuel system issue and fell off the pace. So that put us in 2nd place being Bill Apgood. Connor and Carson came in to swap seats and top off fuel. I was helping Carson get belted in and the shoulder strap was jammed. Tried wd-40 and still would not budge then got a screw driver to un jam it. That took longer than the entire pit. I think we were 3 mins in the pits which was longer than we wanted.

Connor got in and was blistering fast. He knew the course by now and was pushing hard. I was a little worried that his pace was too fast. They were on the last lap with about 10 to go and we walked over to the finish line to watch them come in. Bill came across the finish line and we were next so we knew we had 2nd wrapped up. Then I look at our tracker and our truck is at 0 Mph. I was thinking he cut a tire, he loves to change tires in the desert. But we heard on Weatherman that they had rolled. It was night by now and i was a little worried about their safety. But the recovery crews radioed that they were both out and safe and getting rolled back over soon. We didn't know if it was a high speed roll or a slow speed tip over. Then we heard they were being towed back. A couple minutes later we heard Connor on the radio with the engine running and they were coming to the finish line. He was not gong to get towed back over the line. LOL

At this point the other trucks got around him and finished. I think it took 45 minutes to get rolled over and back going. I look on our tracker and they are doing 100+ mph so clearly the truck is OK. Haha. They push hard to the finish and come across the line. I think we ended up finishing 5th out of the 7 vehicles.

It was a great race and great experience. Carson got some great seat time and really picked up his race pace. Connor got another roll to learn from, LOL. Glad we ran without our fiberglass. Thats 2 years in a row of rolling at Knolls.

The in car footage of the roll is pretty crazy. Hoping Connor will get the videos rendered soon, He was still working on the V2R videos. For those that do not know it takes days to convert video off Gopros, especially when its large long files

Mike

Last edited:

MTPyle

Reaction
Here is another cool video of Carson driving thru a slow technical section of the Knolls 200.

JP_JCM

Reaction
The slow mo rollovers are the most frustrating, because you know it is happening. I am surprised you guys weren't able to do the entire race on fuel, Looking at Bills Data after the race, he only burned 71 Gal(was running a slow pace due to a bad coolant temp sensor reading 50* high) but still puts that thing at 3.1 MPG.

MTPyle

Reaction
We only have about a 175 mile range as we run R85. We were doing a driver change anyway so planned to do fuel on crew change. So we didn’t fill the truck at the start to keep the truck light and balanced.

We will check what we have left and calculated what our usage was. It’s possible that our sensor was wrong. I think it needs to be re calibrated since we took out the fuel box and put in fuel mats.

mike

kyle_pc_75

Reaction
Glad you guys came out again. Thanks for sharing the story!

slcdmc

Reaction
We had a blast at this years race. Great turnout and super fun course. The dust got bad at night with no wind but that made for some fun racing. We had 7 vehicles in our class (heavy Metal). 2 other 6100, 2 TT, 8 truck, and Class 1. It was 5 laps of a 40 mile course.

Mike
You forgot to mention the Stock Full that made sure to do our best to not get in the way of all the fast trucks behind us. Knolls is a great course and warrants going back to time and time again. Aside from big whoops (good for us) it's got a bit of everything.