Bonneville Off-Road Racing's - Knolls at Night - August 28th, 2021

kyle_pc_75

Reaction
BOR will be back at Knolls OHV area next month and we plan to start after sunset and race through the night. Temps should be between about 60 and 90, not so bad for the end of August in the desert!

Knolls has a mix of two track, sand, dry lake bed (part of the old Lake Bonneville), and not so many rocks! The course is approximately 40 miles, raced 5 times for a 200 mile race. Stay tuned for additional details in the coming weeks.

Hope to see you all out there!

KNOLLS AT NIGHT poster.jpg

117774954_3324328757635791_7708874381158564466_o.jpg

IMG_6703.JPG

118517593_10160474581809698_6806896495361562510_n.jpg

E motorsports

Reaction
BOR will be back at Knolls OHV area next month and we plan to start after sunset and race through the night. Temps should be between about 60 and 90, not so bad for the end of August in the desert!

Knolls has a mix of two track, sand, dry lake bed (part of the old Lake Bonneville), and not so many rocks! The course is approximately 40 miles, raced 5 times for a 200 mile race. Stay tuned for additional details in the coming weeks.

Hope to see you all out there!

View attachment 228441

View attachment 228442

View attachment 228443

View attachment 228444
Also knolls is an old school chase race.
possibly the last course state side that allows full on chasing
likewise you can spectate from almost anywhere just use safe common sense
so come and race with us and get your chase on. (but... stay off the course or you will ruin it for everybody)

BRING ON THE NIGHT!!!

kyle_pc_75

Reaction
Looks like Knolls is now a daytime race.

From the owner:

Well Balls!! Guys, at 10:30 this morning our Knolls at Night race became Knolls in the daytime race. There was a miscommunication with the BLM nd I take full responsibility for it. Last year we have no issues as we were on the same page with the BLM rec planner. This year is a new Rec Planner and I did not communicate to him we were going at night. Long tory short - SaturDAY is the race. WE will get a new schedule out today or late tonight as we get it finalized. IF we have a prerun it will be Saturday morning at 7:00AM. We have to finish the event by 8:00 pm. Will update soon. If this creates a problem for you, your entry fee can move to prepay for Wendover or be refunded - your choice. Sorry about this snafoo!!

2021 Knolls at Night Schedule v3.jpg

MTPyle

Reaction
I think we are going to make it. Truck is heading up from Barstow Friday.

excited for our 3rd knolls race in a row. Hopefully 3rd time will be the charm and we won’t roll the truck.

my son Carson (18) is going to drive the entire race. He needs the seat time to prep for Baja.

Mike

MTPyle

Reaction
The boys heading out for the pre run.

you guys are missing out on this race. So chill and laid back. You all need to add this to your Schedule.

Mike

Attachments

• 9BA1CBE4-0673-4B6C-A868-BC153BA764B7.jpeg
    9BA1CBE4-0673-4B6C-A868-BC153BA764B7.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 6EE625AA-045D-4536-A109-AED208F36D0D.jpeg
    6EE625AA-045D-4536-A109-AED208F36D0D.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

MTPyle

Reaction
6122 engine issue are still with us. Blew up at RM42.

Not sure what happened to break the push rod but obviously the engine was more hurt than we thought.

engine oil out the exhaust, coolant out the intake, and won’t turn over. Carson said it felt down on power from the beginning and only hit 102mph on hard pack flat road. Should have been well over 110mph. So it wasn’t happy from the start.

So we buy yet another new engine.

Mike

MTPyle

Reaction
Yes sucks. But we knew we were taking a risk running a engine that had broke a push rod. Clearly something happened bad in that engine for that to happen.

so it’s not as frustrating or painful as it seems. That engine was giving us a lot of trouble. Should have ripped it out after Legacy. That’s part of the issue with budget racing.

Mike

MTPyle

Reaction
Pretty gnarly crash at the Knolls race. Surprised nobody has mentioned it.

at RM2 right after the start a Class 1 and 6200 buggy had a head on at speed. Destroyed the 6200 and hurt that driver pretty bad.

Not sure what happened to get a racer turned around like that? Not sure which vehicle was going backwards.

we love the BOR races because they are low key and chill. But I would be lying if I wasn’t a little freaked out about how this emergency was handled. All I could think is I wish Motorsports Saftey David and his team were there.

we were at the beginning of the pit and a volunteer helping the ambulance came over 15 minutes after the initial distress call and asked me if I had a course map so they could figure out how to get to the crash scene. It was a big ambulance and no way he was getting to that area in that thing. They crashed in a sand dune.

When I heard of the head on my first fear was it could be Carson. To think of someone in a serious accident and waiting 20-30 min for help 2 miles from the main pit was pretty frustrating.

I only know what I heard on the radio and I saw the class 1 on the trailer leaving. So I don’t have any first hand info. Maybe Kyle can expand on the situation?

Mike

MTPyle

Reaction
Here is what the driver of the 6200 buggy said. He is doing well.

“Ct scan looked good for my neck. At this point looks like I have whiplash. Don’t want to be dramatic but I think the neck restraint possibly saved my life. The restraint works by the shoulder belts being tight. I felt I had them snug but if I knew I was about to have a head on collision with a combined speed of 100 mph I would have tightened them more. There is that balance of tight verses uncomfortably tight. I want to inspect the helmet and Hans to see if they look stressed. So grateful that my car and the other car had all of the safety features that kept all involved from more significant injuries than we had.”

Here is another comment from same guy about what happened:
“Brad Peugh The first section in the dunes we missed a turn and and ended up on the course backwards. Ran into the other car at the worst possible spot at the top of a crest.”

I guy from the class 1 is still in hospital:
“Kurtis Brown is currently in the hospital with fluid in his liver, bowel compression, rib fracture and possible neck fracture (MRI) being done now.”

Mike

Last edited:

kyle_pc_75

Reaction
Mike, it freaked me out too. I was out and about when I heard it come over the radio. I'll be honest, stuff like this is a part of what made me get out of the Race Director game and be more of a show up and volunteer guy.

From Kurtis' (Class 1 driver) wife today: "Kurtis Brown is currently in the hospital with fluid in his liver, bowel compression, rib fracture and possible neck fracture (MRI) being done now." Sounds like he refused treatment Saturday but woke up in serious pain today. Scary stuff for sure.

MTPyle

Reaction
Kyle

I wonder if it’s worth suggesting to Allen to try and hire at least one experienced race recovery truck with EMT for the races. I bet everyone would pay a little more to make that happen.

Mike