Bonneville Off-Road Racing's - Knolls at Night - August 28th, 2021

kyle_pc_75

Reaction
Without a doubt. Yesterday got his head spinning. In the past Wendover Fire has always had a decked out UTV with them and I'm not sure why they didn't yesterday. They respond to Knolls often, race or not.
Kyle

I wonder if it’s worth suggesting to Allen to try and hire at least one experienced race recovery truck with EMT for the races. I bet everyone would pay a little more to make that happen

Allen Gerber

Reaction
Guys, Thanks for your concern for the situation and especially for the concern for the drivers. Concern is justified. However there are a lot of facts that people do not know or understand behind the scenes. and I am still taking reports on what happened. When posting on here please us a little discretion until all the facts are known. I do know that at least one of the guys refused to be transported and at least two wanted to be taken back to the pits sitting in a side x side. There was a ER nurse on site with in a minute or two. as I understand she saw the accident. She was concerned greatly for those that refused transport. Steve was released same day. whiplash and bruising is what he has. no broken bones. Kurtis wife drove him home to Colorado, Not sure how long, 8-10 hours? He went to hospital today as he was in much pain. No fractures. Severe pain and fluid in abdomen. Docs are keeping him over night. Devan went to the hospital with possible broken hand. maybe a lacerated kidney. i assume he is still there? All three are bruised and battered. Considering the impact, the safety devices minimized?? the potential worse outcome. I will update this in few days.

Honda48X

Reaction
As a retired Fire Chief, I can tell you if you reach out to the Fire Departments prior to the races and get them involved, they will be very happy to help. The Volunteer Departments I think will get the firefighters together and they will love it. Being set up in certain areas and ready to respond.

MTPyle

Reaction
Allen

thank for posting and adding more info.

we only were monitoring the radio and from what we could hear no emt got onto site for a very long time. They kept asking for medical support on the radio and the medics were standing next to me for a long time. Then one of your guys came and asked us for a course map to give to the EMT so they could get to the crash site.

Glad the nurse was on site fast. But clearly the people on scene wanted more EMT support as they kept asking on the radio for medics.

I know it’s hard to look at a bad situation and admit it could have been handled better. But this seems like a case that a lot can be learned and improved on.

For me the single thing that could have helped was an off-road vehicle that could have transported the EMT’s with their gear to the crash scene within minutes. It’s great to have a ambulance there at the pits but if you can’t get medics to a crash it is little help to have them sitting in the pits.

I don’t know the timing exactly but it felt like a lifetime between when the initial call came on the radio and when they kept calling for medics. It’s a good thing non of the injuries were life threatening.

Also could add more safety info at the drivers meetings. I don’t recall any safety related topics discussed. Maybe even have a person that’s over safety that can speak.

Not trying to beat you up. Just being open about what can be improved. These can be good discussions and lots of guys here have great experience and willing to help.

Mike

richard cretsinger

Reaction
6122 engine issue are still with us. Blew up at RM42.

Not sure what happened to break the push rod but obviously the engine was more hurt than we thought.

engine oil out the exhaust, coolant out the intake, and won’t turn over. Carson said it felt down on power from the beginning and only hit 102mph on hard pack flat road. Should have been well over 110mph. So it wasn’t happy from the start.

So we buy yet another new engine.

Mike
hard to get above 100 on the dry lake beds. Even rst wasnt getting much over 100. sucks when we saw them on the side, sorry to hear about the motor mike!

MTPyle

Reaction
Thanks Richard, was hoping to have a good race with you guys.

Carson said there was a hard packed road that he was pinned for a long time and felt like it should have gone faster.

Either way the engine had to have been hurt before the race. Whatever broke the pushrod hurt something else. Really should have pulled the engine and replaced it when the pushrod broke. But that’s a hard call when it’s $10k.

Mike