Bonneville Salt Flats

VentureCrew35

Bacon Lover
Reaction
Has anyone ever taken their truck to Speedweek or World of Speed at the Bonneville flats? It'd be awesome to see what something like a TT or even a 5-1600 could turn on the 7 mile track.

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
above 100mph, aerodynamics is Everything! no desert racing vehicle would be suitable for Bonneville - the suspension is not needed, the aerodynamics are horrible, and the gearing is all wrong. Go out there in Sept. or Oct. to see what rolls out there. www.scta-bni.org Cars with rooflines about 30" off the ground do well. The 2000hp turbo-diesel truck of Mike Ryan only goes 230-240mph out there.

A 125cc cigar (low aerodynamic bike) can do over 100mph.

Also, no need for torque --- vehicles are often pushed up to 60mph.

Miketata

Reaction
I think you have to become a member of the 200 MPH club before you can go on the long course.
Going through the pits and seeing the different vehicles and technology is pretty awesome.

VentureCrew35

Bacon Lover
Reaction
That's ok. Running the one mile course would be pretty awesome too. And I know even though it wasn't aired the Top Gear boys went on the 7 mile course when they were out there. Though they may have been given special treatment.

Miketata

Reaction
If you ever get a chance to go there for a race week go. They even have races out at El Mirage Dry lake which is a lot closer then Bonneville.
They have a ton of different classes just like off road racing and you would be surprised at what you see out there.

VentureCrew35

Bacon Lover
Reaction
If you ever get a chance to go there for a race week go. They even have races out at El Mirage Dry lake which is a lot closer then Bonneville.
They have a ton of different classes just like off road racing and you would be surprised at what you see out there.
I'll be driving through the flats on the way home from V2R. Unfortunately there won't be any racing going on then :(

pappawheely

O.G. Photo
Reaction
A friend of mine did 241 at B'Ville on a Hayabusa. Here he is doing 213 without a fairing at El Mirage. He is nuckin futs!

Last edited by a moderator:

BGRANT

Reaction
Depends on where you live.:D

Cameron

Reaction
Just don't drive your personal car on the salt flats unless you like rust!!!
You can never wash all the salt off!!!
So if you want to drive out on the salt get a rental car!!!

RaceAddict

Reaction
A race veteran once told me "If you're a racing fan, there are three races you have to goto, The Baja 1000, Speedweek at Bonneville, and a 24 hour race Sebring/LeMans."

I've got Baja down, who wants to goto speedweek in August?

QurtysLyn

Reaction
A race veteran once told me "If you're a racing fan, there are three races you have to goto, The Baja 1000, Speedweek at Bonneville, and a 24 hour race Sebring/LeMans."

I've got Baja down, who wants to goto speedweek in August?
I'll be there! It's only a 2 hour drive for me. :D

BGRANT

Reaction
Anybody going out today? I will be in my grey F250 Crew cab with a black shell. Stop and say hi if you see me. I will more than likely be parked under an EZ up with a beer in my hand. I will take some pics and post them later.

43mod

Reaction
my buddy took his imca modified with a v6 in it,they just about laughed him out of tech.then he ran 162 on his first pass.he was then sternly told to not exceed 175 due to safety gear limitations.2 more passes at 175 and the last one at 183.no more laughing was heard at the v6 powered brick .

Mumzy

Reaction
Just don't drive your personal car on the salt flats unless you like rust!!!
You can never wash all the salt off!!!
So if you want to drive out on the salt get a rental car!!!

Couldn't be any worse than a New York winter :cool:

BGRANT

Reaction
I went straight to the car wash. What a cool event. There were thousands of people there and I couldn't believe how many "Rat Rods" were there cruising around. The vendor area reminded me of the Pamona swap meet. I even saw an orange class 7 Ranger from Cali. All the raceres were super cool as well. Some guy saw how stoked my 10 year old was on his car that he put him in the driver capsule and lowered the canopy for him. Probably the only time he will ever be in anything with wheels that does 300+mph. I will post pictures when I have time. Have a long drive to SD tomorrow.

jeff

Reaction
For those of you with Netflix... check out "World's Fastest Indian" - It's available for instant viewing. The last half of the movie makes up for the first half.

Aloha

dakineJ

Reaction
For those of you with Netflix... check out "World's Fastest Indian" - It's available for instant viewing. The last half of the movie makes up for the first half.

Aloha
X2, excellent movie.