boobie traps?

piloto off road

Reaction
no boobie traps reported in the baja 250, right???
hopefully there wont be any boobie traps in this 500!!
i think the people attending the races are starting to get the picture!

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
Did not see any nor hear of any at SF250. I don't think this means anything, though.

Most booby traps are built within the first 30 miles from the start, and most in the first 10 miles, leaving Ensenada, where most of the malicious ignorant a-holes that build these live and spectate. I hope that Gabriel Garcia can address this issue in a pre-race newspaper article (though I bet that most of these guys are not newspaper readers). I would volunteer to go out on course for the first 15 miles or so, right before the start, but I don't want the major hassle of dealing with the guys who are suspected of building them. I have done that before and it is very unpleasant.

I would like to see SCORE go out in a prerunner 30 minutes before the first moto for 10 miles or even to Ojos Negros, with several guys and shovels that can repair course and whack the perpetrators on the head with the shovels!

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Did not see any nor hear of any at SF250. I don't think this means anything, though.

Most booby traps are built within the first 30 miles from the start, and most in the first 10 miles, leaving Ensenada, where most of the malicious ignorant a-holes that build these live and spectate. I hope that Gabriel Garcia can address this issue in a pre-race newspaper article (though I bet that most of these guys are not newspaper readers). I would volunteer to go out on course for the first 15 miles or so, right before the start, but I don't want the major hassle of dealing with the guys who are suspected of building them. I have done that before and it is very unpleasant.

I would like to see SCORE go out in a prerunner 30 minutes before the first moto for 10 miles or even to Ojos Negros, with several guys and shovels that can repair course and whack the perpetrators on the head with the shovels!
Take video of the 'whacking.' I would take great pleasure in watching that with a cool soundtrack. :p

BuzzChaser

Reaction
Count me in!

RnHdez 8

Reaction
this is from Kali she is with las chicas racing team
San Felipe 250

i had a personal expirance with the spectators.. right when i got the hand off maybe 20 seconds on the bike people had built a jump that wasnt there there day befor.. i went off it wrong trying to dodge the vans and flipped the bike a couple times and screwed up me knee.

piloto off road

Reaction
i work for Piloto Offroad a newspaper in spanish, i will also write an article about that.
we will pass out many copies at the contengency and let them know that it is not cool!!
i will also be ridding 56a and my little brother is the one that starts the race, i would hate to tell my parents that he went down!!!!
see you at the race!

RnHdez 8

Reaction

well in san felipe was some injurys, 1 dead guy and a such a mess in the zoo road and the jump before the finish line

Code:

RnHdez 8

Reaction
i work for Piloto Offroad a newspaper in spanish, i will also write an article about that.
we will pass out many copies at the contengency and let them know that it is not cool!!
i will also be ridding 56a and my little brother is the one that starts the race, i would hate to tell my parents that he went down!!!!
see you at the race!
you have to do that from now because the people who made the bobbie traps they will be at the race course making the boobie traps they won't read you article

Baja_Seve

Reaction
see you at the race!
Raphael, that is a great idea...but most of the perpetrators don't go to Contingency nor do they frequent off-road websites. Definitely write an article prior to the race. Our best champion has been Gabriel Garcia, from El Vigia newspaper in Ensenada, who has written a series of articles chastising the practice prior to Baja races.

This was a good thread prior to the Baja 1000 and should be reviewed:
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52694

The off road community as a whole needs to take action when seeing a trap constructed or executed. Regretably, I don't see the practice disappearing from this year's Baja 500.

Saludos.

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
Reaction
WADR!! your smoking crack if you think theres going to be no boobie traps at the 500 .Even if score "preran the coarse just before the race it will mean very little. Unfortunatly boobie traps in Baja will always be!! They suck but , in my opinion have to be looked at as part of the coarse as bruttel as that my seem, Just my 2 cents .

JD Durfey

Reaction
Booby traps will never disappear. It is part of Baja, unfortunately. I have never crashed myself due to a booby trap, but I have had some close calls. In my opinion, the race really starts after Ojos. Just run at 80% until you get past the crowds and then turn it on. But if you see a bunch of Mexicans next to the course look out.

piloto off road

Reaction
gabriel garcia has done a great job writing articles i know of him and have exchanged pm with him but not personally!!
our next issue comes out a couple of weeks before the 500, and we distribute the paper all over ensenada, hopefully some people that make them b.traps will read our paper and consider it before grabbing the shovel!!
just like gabriel garcia i will also try to go to schools and let them now how dangreous it is, and also the beer throwing at cars in the track/road.
its not okey!
they just want to see some bikes do tricks in the air, but they dont know that is boobie trap and that its more like a dangreous speed bump!
i will make sure the article is in there!
in fact in our past issues we put a little something on it, but we will do something bigger!!

top right hand corner it says in spanish "say no to boobie traps, and respect baja and the drivers"

RnHdez 8

Reaction
this is from Gabriel Garcia Translate by Google

Gabriel Garcia
Ensenada, B.C.

They have in mind the audience
The problem of pseudo fans is stronger than ever and are making the game twice as risky as before, since it is very easy for you to a car stops in the opposite direction, either by car or motorcycle.
I remember very well taking a few years ago by Video Arts Productions where is Chuck Hovey was stamped with a few meters in front of a car in an area near Ojos Negros, considering that the driver was driving at the time a Class 1, easy going at a speed above 100 kilometers per hour in case of any contact between the two vehicles the result would have been fatal.
A very recent case is that suffered in the past by the 1000 Baja Californian Rob Bruce, who seek the first sites of 1, gave a good jump on a ramp Ojos Negros and the blow was the shock of his life at almost caerle over to a cart of spectators that had nothing to do with the road.
The photographer managed to take Matt Kartozian a spectacular sequence of this fact, which can be found at this address, http://durkadurka.net/photocart/index.php?vp=4&do=photocart&viewGallery=1426, which is observed as the driver of the car is laughing, perhaps without realizing that it could have killed all those who accompanied him, so I wonder, that people in the head, because it seems that they do not care to attend risk an event outside of the way and not get to thinking that there are entire families that expect them to those around them, drivers and teams of people, running in Baja is becoming more risky, but this is partly due to the unconscious people and how as a drink without measured.
If you want to see something more than this, a little impressed with the video you sent me the pilot of the 103 buggy, Mark Witte, which looks like a few centimeters were stamped with the car of the spectators, this is the link, [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKiOu_lOQvQ"]YouTube - BMF Racing 2008 Baja 1000 Ojos jump[/ame]

Gonzo 5/1600

Reaction
I remember at least one at the SF250, luckily it was pretty easy to spot (Darker color pointed mound on a straight away with people standing next to it). It wasn't too far from the finish if i remember correctly.

Richie_Bobby

Reaction
Check Out These Numnutz.
Sure Hope My Dad Or Any of The Racers Dont Get Any Of These Guys At The 500.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ74qfqXfL8"]YouTube - Loco Booby Trap (offroad rally)[/ame]​

Richie_Bobby

Reaction
LOL That last guy kinda lost control!
Nope.:D
He Did It On Purpose. The Driver That Did The First Half.
My Dad Drove That Truck On The Second Half Of That Race.

Last edited: