• Forum membership has its advantages....

Books

J_Dog

Does anyone know of any good metal working books that include chassis work, tube bending, race car stuff, etc.? If anyone one knows it would be greatly appreciated. I'm just getting into racing and want to learn some of the more technical work involved. I did locate some books by Herb Adams and Carroll Smith on Amazon.com, are these any good? Thanks.

FABRICATOR

J Dog,
There are lots of good books on fabrication. Two very good books are by Ron Fournier. One is titled "Metal Fabricator's Handbook" and the other is "Sheet Metal Handbook" very high quality and universal stuff. Steve Smith Autosports has a whole series of helpful books. Carol Smith has some good specialty books like the one on fasteners. Another is "Race Car Chassis Design and Construction" by Forbes Aird. A very up-to-date and informative book on welding is "High Performance Welding". I misplaced it, so I will have to provide the author later. NONE of these are dedicated to Off-Road but a lot of the info. still applies. Good luck!

J_Dog

Fabricator,
Thanks for the information. I'll check out some of those books you suggested. By your name it looks like you work in the industry, if so, where? I live in NorCal and I am looking to get into the sport soon, if I can persuade the wife that a race truck/car is necessary. Almost have her convinced. I'll probably start with VORRA, since they're close. I'd like to start out by buying a truck, but might start in a Class 9 car (lower cost). Any info/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jeff Matlock
[email protected]

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Yes, who and what is the man who refers to himself as FABRICATOR?

FABRICATOR

Re: WHO?

Derek,
Let's make it official! I am nobody. Just want to pass on some of what I know about desert racing and car design before I go. Thank you for asking.