Border crossing

milestonemotorsports

RDC Crypto
Has anybody in the last few days came across the border without a passport , just a birth cirtificate and drivers lic. I have a friend that wants to ride with me to SF but I need to reasure him he can get back accross

CannondaleRider

RDC Crypto
I just crossed the Mexicali border crossing last night, coming back from SF Prerun..... Just my birth certificate and ID.. no Passport. Not a problem whatsoever, the 3 other guys riding with me had their passports, and she didn't even mention a single thing to me about needing a Passport. Simple "What was the reason for your visit? Who's car is this? Anything to declare from Mexico? Have a good night"

I came across the Tecate crossing coming back from last years 1000, and it was the same thing. Not a word about a Passport.

Cesar Chanate told me that he's crossed probably close to 50 times, without a passport, and it's never been a problem.

Just like I've been doing, I wouldn't worry about it..

bajabird

RDC Crypto
Website
www.mybaja1000.com
you must of had the same nice lady i did the other night......

20 dollars?

OR2BAJA

RDC Crypto
I wouldn't go with out a passport. With that said it's really hit and miss but they are not going to deny you entrance to your own country!

Cache96

RDC Crypto
They will hassle you a little depending if the person is an **
fr.gif
OOH LA LA****
fr.gif
OOH LA LA****
fr.gif
OOH LA LA****
fr.gif
OOH LA LA****
fr.gif
OOH LA LA****
fr.gif
OOH LA LA****
fr.gif
OOH LA LA** but they will let you pass. They cant make you stay in Mexico just because you do not have a passport.

randy s

RDC Crypto
I just crossed the Mexicali border crossing last night, coming back from SF Prerun..... Just my birth certificate and ID.. no Passport. Not a problem whatsoever, the 3 other guys riding with me had their passports, and she didn't even mention a single thing to me about needing a Passport. Simple "What was the reason for your visit? Who's car is this? Anything to declare from Mexico? Have a good night"

I came across the Tecate crossing coming back from last years 1000, and it was the same thing. Not a word about a Passport.

Cesar Chanate told me that he's crossed probably close to 50 times, without a passport, and it's never been a problem.

Just like I've been doing, I wouldn't worry about it..
unless you were born in yemen or iran.

AzBajaman

Big Az Dad
RDC Crypto
I wouldn't go with out a passport. With that said it's really hit and miss but they are not going to deny you entrance to your own country!

They can't deny you entry into the United States if you are a US citizen.....They will and can detain you just to verify.......but they won't deny you entry........We have been down to the Baja 500, Baja 1000 last year and not once did they ask to see our passports.....I have a WHTI card and he didn't want to see it, he just ran my DL and told your good to go....

Danny Alcala

RDC Crypto
been to mexicali a few times in the last 2 weeks. No one had passports or birth certificates. we just give our dl's, get asked a few questions and good to go. seems like there not pressing the passport issue much!

OR2BAJA

RDC Crypto
Does not mean you should not have a Passport! PAB made an awesome point in another thread, You cannot be AirLifted without having a passport. I have worked a few races down there as a race medic and I always asked to make sure they had there passport.

johndjmix

RDC Crypto
They won’t deny you entry but heard a story from a fellow racer a few years back they made him park and come into the office. Asked him a ton of questions and took 4 hours before they let him across. I would say get your passport to avoid wasted time abs headaches.

—john

Honda48X

RDC Crypto
You should have it with you. An enhanced Drivers License is the same thing. Will work for getting back into the US.

For non-US citizens that have a visa and want to travel into the US. My contractor is a Mexican citizen and he has a visa and has not been able to cross to get to his Wells-Fargo bank or the Home Depot located in El Centro. He hates the quality of items at the Mexicali Home Depot. He is happy as a clam now he will be able to cross.

Last edited:

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
RDC Crypto
I have a current passport so hopefully that's not going to be an issue unless my truck is covered in mud aka raw sewage that year it was my trucks problem getting across

What's this enhanced drivers licence thingy you speak of?

And you deserve to get your tit in the ringer not having Mexico vehicle insurance including your trailer, I don't care what YOUR agent told you just do it

AZ7000'

RDC Crypto
What's this enhanced drivers licence thingy you speak of?
In AZ it has a star, AZ went without making it universal because it would keep records and invade your privacy, good win for the ballot box I guess. Now there are 2 licenses in az, a real ID one and one for the patriots. Side note, the real ID and the enhanced drivers license are for getting through TSA for domestic flights I believe...

Beginning May 3, 2023, every traveler must present a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license, state-issued enhanced driver’s license, or other acceptable forms of identification, such as a valid passport or U.S. military ID, to fly within the U.S. Review the complete list of acceptable identification.

Individuals who are unable to verify their identity will not be permitted to enter the TSA security checkpoint and will not be allowed to fly.

About enhanced driver's licenses.​

Michigan, Vermont, Minnesota, and New York states issue REAL ID and state-issued enhanced driver’s licenses, both of which are acceptable. Washington state issues enhanced driver’s licenses only.

State-issued enhanced driver's licenses are marked with a flag. These documents will be accepted at the airport security checkpoint when the REAL ID enforcement goes into effect.

Chris_Wilson

RDC Crypto
If you have a passport card then no need to get the real ID AZ DL which is more of a hassle.
Passport card good for land borders and domestic travel.
Real passport needed for international air travel including medevac from Baja to USA.