Border Hassle @ Baja

Dave_G

Reaction
My partner rode down to Baja in the Enduro Racing semi and they had a big hassle getting across the border on thursday. Apparently the mexicans were requiring a total inventory of all the items in the semi trailer and they also required a broker to process the paperwork just to get across the border. This cost $180. Then while the race was going on the mexicans changed the procedure for coming back across to the U.S. and one of Sal's attorneys got wind of it and had to negotiate some group deal to get everyone back across the border.

Anybody else have this big hassle with a semi trailer? Sounds like mexico is is getting more f'd up by the day.

Dave

sirhk100

Reaction
We got sent to secondary on the way home because we actually forgot to claim some bottles of hard alcohol that we actually took down with us but didn't drink. It was kinda funny when we said we don't have anything and the lady opens the cooler in the rear of the truck and it's packed with beer, tequila and rum... Honest brain fade. It was all good though, they didn't hastle us or confiscate anything...

sweetdevil

Reaction
Ya, when bringing a semi into mexico, you need to have a complete inventory of the the contents of the trailer, along with the vin, license plate, driver's license #, make and model, and take it to the customs office for a temporary importation permit.
the inventory needs to include everything, bolts, screwdrivers, everything! I hear that Herbst was at the border for over 12 hours on tue am. Luckily, we got wind of it, and got all the paperwork arranged before we went down there.
Did anyone find out if it's the same with a box van?

jwfab1

Reaction
I got stopped going N. on the 1 just before Ensenada. Federalies stopped me and my brother for about 20 minutes. My eyes were really bloodshot and glossy from welding earleir without a shield. Long story,but thanks to Baja Pits for the welder!!!!!!!! So they were a little suspicious.

They kept hitting my spares, looked all the way around the headliner, under dash, under truck, and all through the cab. They asked if we had been smoking Marijuana. Then wanted to know if my Maglight was for sale. I said no, and the let us go.

Jason

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
for baja mex...they wanted my mag light because their's was out of batteries...luckily I had batteries and steeckers instead!

MikeLeung

Reaction
We've never had a problem with our box van. Could be that were just lucky. They just ask us to open it up and look around.