Boring threads

URNOTFAST

Reaction
Ive been mulling this over for quite a while. Ive been reading racedezert for a couple of years with no real reason to post threads. Ive been going out with my family since the 70s and it seems to me that the general concensus is that old school desert racing is not as fast as racing now. I call bull**BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME** on that. I remember the old Fireworks 250s watching multiple cars flip in the same holes, watching cars come down the straight aways totally not knowing for sure to get out of the way or watch them come. Doesnt it make sense that a car with 12 inches of travel or ten total inches like in a 1600 car for instance in the old days without the new technology in shocks and if your driving that car to its limit, who has the bigger balls The new guys or the old guys? I know the old guys were alot funner to watch. Comments?

BuzzChaser

Reaction
Location, Location, Location. You gotta search out the good spots, they are out there. Viva Mexico!

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
pretty ballsy for a 1st post...gonna get a lot of feed back

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
I like it. I would say the old school guys were much ballsier. No gps, inferior suspension. Balls to the wall.
Definately!!!...more like cowboys of the old west:eek:

dezertgirl

"RDC's Social Butterfly"
Reaction
I like it. I would say the old school guys were much ballsier. No gps, inferior suspension. Balls to the wall.
TOTALLY!!! Man some of the pictures of racing back in the day looked super dangerous!! LOL Not nearly as much safety, suspension and technology as the drivers have today! When you hit dust clouds you didn't even have a GPS to tell you if you were kind of on course or not!!

Not to say today's racers aren't GREAT but you had to be hard core to race early on :D

You are right, this is a "boring thread"
Hey now... I don't agree with the title name but this could make for some more interesting discussion at least!

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
Would Ivan Stewart's open face helmet (with no windshield) pass TECH now a day???

ScottyA

Reaction
Racing is racing. Same as always people are driving on the limit in whatever they are in! The biggest difference is when you crash. Speeds are higher so you crash harder.

jsallenbach

Reaction
I like old school racing in my opinion. looking through the old dusty times, score news, action news and etc, the pictures taken back then shows that these guys had some juevos. Found pics off my dad doing like a summer salt back flip thing and that was with max rear travel of 16" and in the front 13" with the old filler 5 point seat belts and Mastercraft seats in a 10 car. Back then no gps had to go with gut intsinct to wonder if your on the course or not. Not that todays racing isnt good i just like the old style racing.

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
Old school dez racing was very cool!
New racing is very cool!

I do know that old school music - 70s and 80s totally kicks azz on the newer music - that is one thing I know for sure!

OK, now I am bored of this thread..... seen any good YouTube videos? Like this one?

Last edited by a moderator:

onebuilder

Reaction
Would Ivan Stewart's open face helmet (with no windshield) pass TECH now a day???
Manny wore a open face helmet at the '08 Parker race, driving the #18 TT.
He was The King of the Desert!

jsallenbach

Reaction
I think Gale pikes codriver at the Mint 400 was wearing an open face helmet.

<Cody Agee>

Whippersnapper!
Reaction
i say you stop whining. we can't live in the old days. one day we will say man, remember that gnarly Mint 400 in 2009? that was an intense race. As you progress in life, so does the world around you. I respect old school racers with the utmost respect but we need to learn to enjoy every second of our lives. I remember in Dust to Glory Bruce Meyers said "if I knew I was making history, I would have payed more attention to it". These years we race we ARE making history and few of us recognize to see it.

jsallenbach

Reaction
i say you stop whining. we can't live in the old days. one day we will say man, remember that gnarly Mint 400 in 2009? that was an intense race. As you progress in life, so does the world around you. I respect old school racers with the utmost respect but we need to learn to enjoy every second of our lives. I remember in Dust to Glory Bruce Meyers said "if I knew I was making history, I would have payed more attention to it". These years we race we ARE making history and few of us recognize to see it.
Good point there

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
Not sure but I think Perry still rolls open face helmet (with windshield)

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
Not sure but I think Perry still rolls open face helmet (with windshield)
yup...Perry McNeil does with windshield.......Jorge (Perry) Rivas wears open face helmet in his Terrible Herbst sponsored class 18 in CODE with NO WINDSHIELD:eek:...I think it's because his walrus mustache doesn't fit:D