Bowfishing

glamisrnr

Reaction
I dont know if any of you guys on here ever gone bowfishing, but I just set up my bow today, here are some pics. I know it sounds like it would never work fishing with a bow, but it does. we have a reel with 130lb test string, mounted to the bow and then attached to the arrow that has an expandable tip on it, and then we go out and shoot Carp/ suckers/ catfish. With the bows, and no we dont eat the fish we do it to get rid of a non native species that is destorying the water ways around here, they muddy up the water and make it hard for native fish to live, and they can lay up to 2million eggs per year. Here are some pics of my set up. Here is a video I found on youtube, just so you can get an idea of how it goes down.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpbviFT8RHg"]YouTube - Rivers Edge and AMS Bowfishing[/ame]

^^^^^^^
In this picture you can see what looks like a fishing reel handle, that is exactly what it is that is how we bring the fish in.

EQuin

Reaction
I used to bowfish with a recurve bow in the early 80's.

Rhinestone Cowboy

Can i ban pdailey?
Reaction
Ken, if you can catch a fish with a damn bow and arrow you are a bamf. i officially hand over my title of BAMF to you

manicmechanic

Reaction
I used to bowfish with a recurve bow in the early 80's.
Me too, In the 60s. The secret to bow fishing is to be able to see the fish.
A very difficult thing to teach now days!!

glamisrnr

Reaction
Ken, if you can catch a fish with a damn bow and arrow you are a bamf. i officially hand over my title of BAMF to you
As soon as I get one I will post pics of it then it will be a transfer of title :D

O yeah and aim low the water messes with the eyes.

woundedyak

Mammals fear me
Reaction
Dude, I thought I was the only Hill Billy to bow fish! I only go after the grass carp since they are so destructive and not native to my lake. I'm using a Blue Mothwing AMS Fish Hawk with a Retriever Pro 610. Not much,but it does do the job. The funny thing is,my wife kicks my @$$ at bow fishing. But in typical fashion,she won't take it off the hook:) Since we are so close to each other,we need to set a trip up here soon, or step up and go in a Gator hunting trip down south. By the way,nice Patio and property. You got to love the Midwest!

glamisrnr

Reaction
Dude, I thought I was the only Hill Billy to bow fish! I only go after the grass carp since they are so destructive and not native to my lake. I'm using a Blue Mothwing AMS Fish Hawk with a Retriever Pro 610. Not much,but it does do the job. The funny thing is,my wife kicks my @$$ at bow fishing. But in typical fashion,she won't take it off the hook:) Since we are so close to each other,we need to set a trip up here soon, or step up and go in a Gator hunting trip down south. By the way,nice Patio and property. You got to love the Midwest!
Yeah we just go after carp, that would be awesome to set up a trip sometime, LOL girls dont like touching fish, I am using a Cajun Archery arrow and a AMS 610r retriever, this crap aint cheap, and yeah I like the midwest for our crazy shenanigans that we can get away with, fishing with a bow, its just another excuse to shoot a bow,:D and its nice to be able to have property, I love the summers here.

This is the reel that I have, [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9T0ck9Sf2s"]YouTube - Bowfishing Carp with the AMS Retriever Pro Bowfishing Kit[/ame]

glamisrnr

Reaction
Ok So it finally stopped raining after 3 days so I am gonna try and go out tonight and see if I can find any carp.

EQuin

Reaction
I was just a baby in the 60's, but in the early 80's many recommended recurve bows for bowfishing, presumably because you could draw more quickly than with a compound. But the video in the original post shows them drawing those compounds fairly quickly.

Recently, I looked up prices on recurves and compounds and couldn't believe how expensive everything is nowadays. Prices have tripled, quadrupled and even quintupled since the last time I was into bows 25 years ago!

woundedyak

Mammals fear me
Reaction
This is what I really want to try with a bow! I bet it's a lot harder then it looks. I've tried pheasant hunting with a bow for the last three years. Still haven't hit one.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJjQinZ4Twk&feature=related"]YouTube - Aerial bow fishing[/ame]

glamisrnr

Reaction
This is what I really want to try with a bow! I bet it's a lot harder then it looks. I've tried pheasant hunting with a bow for the last three years. Still haven't hit one.

YouTube - Aerial bow fishing
Make sure your arrows are tied on tight, my friend lost 3 arrows today, at 17.99 a piece he was kinda pissed off about it too LOL. That aerial bowfishing is crazy if you hit one of them in the air you got mad skill's, same with the pheasants.

woundedyak

Mammals fear me
Reaction
Ahhhhhhhhh,that blows. I've lost few arrows due to not paying attention in the boyscouts. When duck season comes up, put the 12g down and bust out the bow. You will have a blast!

glamisrnr

Reaction
You have seriously used your bow for ducks, thats awesome I will have to try that this year.

glamisrnr

Reaction
Bringing this back from the dead. Finally got video.

[video=youtube;Wl8ay_zQF00]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl8ay_zQF00&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

randy s

Reaction
real men go git em' by diving in the water with only a knife in their teeth and swimmin' em down. not me though. i do all my fishing at von's or ralph's.

randy s

Reaction
years ago at the imperial dam i think it was i saw some black dudes clubbing carp with baseball bats when they opened up the dam and the water was coming out of these big concrete pipes. it was pretty funny. i think the bowfishing method looks like a blast.

200MPHTape

Reaction
One trip(dove hunting) many mooons ago to the Imperial Valley, we where next to a stack of hay/straw for the shade and the wind was blowing all the loose hay into the canal. None of the hay made it down stream, there was a school of carp just sucking it off the surface. Since then it has been really easy to get carp to the surface, you can use your old practice bails.

I got pretty good at hitting chickens on the fly, in Hawaii there are wild chickens every where, they can fly really well, they break just like pheasants, except they stay low.

CYS Motorsports

Reaction
I'd imagine there's a minimum poundage on the string for the arrow to still have some speed in the water. What do you use? I deer hunt w/75-80 pounds.

glamisrnr

Reaction
I'd imagine there's a minimum poundage on the string for the arrow to still have some speed in the water. What do you use? I deer hunt w/75-80 pounds.
I run mine at about 63, but there are guys out their running low weights. Its a solid fiberglass arrow so it carries its speed after it hits the water.