Box van vs. enclosed trailer

MikeLeung

Reaction
As some you may remember, My enclosed trailer was stolen, and is still not found. So I'm looking for something to replace it with. While the enclosed trailer was nice, it was a pain to get into and out of some of the places we race...Baja for instance. So I want to hear from other teams what they think are the advantages and disadvantages of enclosed trailers and box vans.

JCA

Reaction
I wanted a 24' box truck at first. The only reason I am going with an enclosed trailer is that I can get all my stuff there by myself. If I went with the truck I would need another driver to get the Motorhome there.

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
www.andrewsracing.com

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
We use a box van. It is nice for the BITD races because you can chase the race truck with all of the supplies in one vehicle instead of having 5 pickups loaded down with junk and the maneuverbaility of a trailer is much more difficult for msot people.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
i would go with a box van with a nice lift gate and install a nice bed in it you always got a place to crash and they are not that expensive harder to steal so on many options

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Liftgate is necisary

Kris

Mike_McCluskey

Reaction
Maintenance on a box van will be much more then on a trailer. You also have license and registration. If it's a commercial vehicle you get to stop at the weigh stations, you get to be stopped for those random inspections to make sure your maintenance records are up to date. I think Mexico would be the only area that a box van would be more beneficial. Most all the races stateside seem to have enough room to manuever around with a trailer. IMHO a nice fifth wheel with a living area in the front is the way to go. When you get to the race you can drop the trailer and use the tow vehicle to get around.
Good luck!

hoeker

Reaction
having used a box van in the past, and currently getting by with an enclosed trailer, i have a couple of suggestions, but ultimately you have to decide what will best fit your needs.

i REALLY like my enclosed trailer, it's three years old and i haven't turned a wrench on it yet. the problem with it is the $35,000 pickup i need to haul it with. i don't own one, and haven't been able to afford one, so i always have to borrow a truck.
if you buy a box van try to get something you can title as a motorhome, this gets you by the scales and checkpoints. also make sure you buy a good truck!!!!! never underestimate the cost of maintenance, especially tires.
if you already have the pickup to haul the trailer with and don't need the extra weight capacity, i think the trailer is the best way to go.
i am currently looking at getting into a tractor-trailer for CORR and am looking forward to hearing more opinions on this because it's a tough decision that i've been thinking about for 3 months already with no solutions yet, just more questions.

Build it right, Drive it hard.
www.rosshoek.com

ntsqd

Reaction
In CA:
Trailer = 55 (to stay legal)
Box van = 55-70 depending.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Unhook the speedo and it will rock 85++!!!!!!

Kris

Greg

Reaction
I needed something to carry all my tools and a drum of diesel to the track and neither of the 2 trucks we have will do that so i ended up buying a used U-haul 17 foot van. It was $7400 bucks and had new tires, AC, diesel, ect and can tow my ranger if need be. Its not fast at all but gets like 14 mpg and has been super reliable. Ive also slept in it seceral times now its quite comfy. But that was the best bet for the least $ amount i could find. Its also registerd as a van so no scales. but its still that u-haul orange/white, needs paint badly. They sell them for that price everyday.

Greg

motoxscott

Reaction
We actually bought about 5 used "web vans" (internet groccery store) in an auction and will be using them for race support rigs. It makes it easy to get around. We're gutting the boxs and building them the way we want. We also picked up a 5th wheel trailer, mostly for vending out of.

Both have pros and cons.

jeff

Reaction
Can you say how much those WebVan trucks sold for at auction? I've heard some crazy low numbers on those things and can only assume they are like brand new.

Aloha

motoxscott

Reaction
I can't remember how much they paid for them, but it was cheap based on what you got. They were in perfect condition and they were built by Freightliner, so it's like a mini semi, the things will last forever.

MikeLeung

Reaction
Thanks everybody for your input!!

I'm leaning towards a box van with a flat bed trailer to tow the race car. Hey Greg, the Uhauls...I've been looking at those...my only concern is that its a Uhaul and I know how I treat them when I rent them. How the maintence been on them??

Greg

Reaction
When i went ot look at them, they give you like 10 sets of keys and let you test drive all of them. Every van has a record book that lets you know whats been done too. Found out mine has a new trans, alternator, radiator, the sales guy had no idea of that stuff. If you have a business, you can get a comercial lease too. I know people beat on them but i dont think its as bad as rental cars, i mean would you hamer a van loaded with your furniture and tv in it? There are better "deals" out there, but i wanted a deisel, and aluminum floor in the box, and they are about the only ones like that. The one thing i dont like (besides the paint) is that its NOT a walk thru, but i can always cut that out. Hell, it even comes with a loading ramp, woo hoo.

Greg

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
"i mean would you hamer a van loaded with your furniture and tv in it?"

I used to rent them to go out to the desert with My bikes. They do very well in sand washes! The ramp also makes an excelent BBQ table.....

JasonHutter

Reaction
I personally can't say anything bad about the 34' trailer we have for racing. I suppose there is the issue if you have anything to pull it with though. It is nice to be able to drop the trailer and have your truck to tool around while at a race. Our trailer has a work bench, cabinets, a full compliment of flourescent lights, a 20 foot awning, triple axle, two outside 500w halogens, and two air-conditioners that double as heaters. When we go to the races, we usually sleep in the trailer, up on the gooseneck and use our family and friends hotel rooms for showers. The trailer with everything I mentioned was about $17,300 including tax and license. I bought a 12kvw generator for about $2,200 to go with it and it powers everything including a welder without a problem. I got the trailer from www.cargo-pro.com in Indiana just over a year ago. The only problem with the trailer has been the tires, we started blowing the cheap tires they put on it at about 6000 miles or so. I have had to replace all the tires with 8plys.

Jason

Attachments

JasonHutter

Reaction
The inside

Attachments

JasonHutter

Reaction
workbench and cupboards

Attachments

Bill

Carlos Danger
Reaction
nice but weres the air & electrical conections?