braided steel brake lines

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
has anyone ever had problems with braided lines? i had my truck at the shop today and the mechanic test drove it after he finished working on it and the pedal went to the floor. well i went to the shop saw that i had a rubb hole in a braided line (non DOT approved). so i got a new line went to put it on got it on and pumped up the brakes and still no pedal. so i had a friend pump them and another line was spitting through the braids no noticable hole rub mark anything. I got the lines like a year ago. anyone had problems like this before? i think now ill be buying the DOT approved kevlar wrapped lines.

Gregg

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Be careful with the s10 when changing brake lines. My buddy took too long installing the new lines and air got into the braking system and the dealer had to pump it out with a machine or something, it was nothing that could be done at home.. I have not heard of it happening with any other truck so it might be with the S10 or a problem with newer trucks.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
rhi,

i know this i went to a very reputable line dude in san diego. brakes are not a fun thing to not have espescially when everyone around town drive benzes abd beamers.
John

I removed my abs system so i only hava the master cylinder and booster left so i hope i dont have to worry about this problem your friend had.

Gregg

DANKFAB

Reaction
I removed my ABS and have just Earl's braided lines to the calipers from the master cyl. No problems brakes work great so far. I love having front and rear discs it so much better than drum feel.

michael_loomis

Reaction
i have had my non DOT steel braided lines for 4 years . i had one were out and begin leaking at the fitting .... i bought a piece of braided hose to replace it and its been fine since *knocks on wood*

i still have my 4 wheel ABS intact and i broke a hard metal line leading from the master cylinder to the ABS pump the other day drove it broken for a full day till i had rear brakes only ( was trying to find the parts and tools to fix) . i took off the broken line rebuilt a new one and replaced it then bled the system the old school way . new line leaked at the fitting .... so i remade it the correct way this time , reinstalled it WITHOUT REBLEEDING THE BRAKES , and they work better than EVER !!! LOL

GO FIGURE !

tedmales

Reaction
the easiest way to bleed them is to use a pump oil can and push the fluid from the wheels to the master, but , and i cannot say this to much, do not do this if you have abs, causes all kinds of havoc. but it works great otherwise