Brake Drums/Wheels

jcarius

RDC Crypto
Howdy all,

Looking through some recent literature, I found some a source for un-drilled type 1 and 3 brake drums. Getting frustrated with the ever-increasing price of class 9 wheels, I thought to myself - "I wonder what the rule book actually says". Looking in my handy-dandy SCORE bible: "Original VW Types drum brakes only". So if I use a set of these drums, drill 'em em for say a toyota 4 lug wheel, any reason I can't use 'em (other than they are probably Chinese crap drums ...)?

Thanks!

Jim

Lifeflight

RDC Crypto
Wow! Toyota rims? Realy? Why would you do that? I can't see how $65 to $85 a rim is going to break the bank.
I guess as long as he rim is 15"x5" with a standard offset, Run them. But why Toyota? Trying to set up to drill more holes into an allready soft drum is asking for trouble and add much more expense than buying a couple of rims a year.

jcarius

RDC Crypto
Jim,

"toyota" was just a placeholder for "insert your favorite 15 inch rim here" and the payoff is that there are a remarkable number of different offset steel wheels available at the local junkyard for $2-$5 a piece. The real reason is that up here we run 4 or 5 short course races a year and being able to play with different offset/width/tire combination without being stuck with a single vendor whose rims are pretty pricey ( they charged me $85 each + tax + shipping for two front 5 lug rims about 90 days ago) .... besides for $5, bent rims are throw-away, for $100 I gotta actually fix 'em ...

Always asking questions ... that's me ... trying to figure out how to stretch the rules to fit my budget and ideas.

Jim

fernley1

RDC Crypto
Hey Jim,
that sounds like a good idea, use cheap rims for PC and the good rims for the desert. Did you get all the bugs worked out on the car yet? Hope to see you next year at the races.
Ted

9Iron

RDC Crypto
Hey Jim,
that sounds like a good idea, use cheap rims for PC and the good rims for the desert.
Did you get all the bugs worked out on the car yet? Hope to see you next year at the races.
Ted
Ted,
Need you a Nine car, and it will be a year to remember!!!

Faulk9

RDC Crypto
had a stud pull out of the front drum on a tire change.. The other studs are tack wlded in. The other drum has SAW studs. Should I replace the bougus side with SAW and tack them in?

jcarius

RDC Crypto
With SAW studs, I spot face the area around the hole before pressing in the studs. On a 5 lug car this keeps the head of the stud from striking the brake shoe. Also, there are a couple different lengths - make sure you get the right ones ... if the knurled portion comes through the drum more the 1/16" or so, the wheel will end up stuck on the stud ....

Jim