brake lines

NOODLE

Reaction
i was wandering if anybody knew why the brake lines coming out of the master cylinder on my Sonoma(non ABS) are coiled up 4 or 5 times directly after they exit the cylinder. They are kinda in the way if I was to put hoops up front and I was wondering if it was possible to reroute them without the coils in them.

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
im doing the same thing. i am in the process of doing it right now/ its a pain in the @$$. I have a 2000 s10 with ABS what i did was take out the abs completly and am in the process of going directly to the brake lines form the master cylinder. i believe the coils are for coolingperposes only but im not sure. i posted on this exact subject about 3 weeks ago and there is a picture of what i did. if you want i can email you a pic of my temporary set up. now i have braided steel lines that will come from the master cylinder to the brakes. cause the temporary set up wasnt allowing the room for my coilovers which im getting installed next week.

have fun,
Gregg

FABRICATOR

Reaction
The master cylinder is mounted on the cab, the rest of the system is on the chassis. Those coils are there to help take up movement between the chassis and the rubber mounted cab. Keep this in mind while you are "re-designing" things, in order to avoid brake failure.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
look at that that sounds logical didnt think of anything like that. but with braided stell lines with slack in them i should be in the clear i hope we will see iguess.

Gregg

NOODLE

Reaction
Thanks Fabricator, i will take that into consideration

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts

ntsqd

Reaction
Nah, Fabricator has it spot-on. They're there to allow relative motion btwn the cab mounted m/c and the frame mounted rest of stuff. They also dampen vibration so that it doesn't fatigue the tubing right at the tubes nuts.

Eliminate them at your own (hopefully only your own) peril. You can substitute a length of -3 braided, but you'd better follow the rules for proper install of those if you do.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
explain please
i dont wanna be diving and ooops no brakes please expalin.

i will post a pic on sunday or monday of the new set up i did to allow for coilovers so ewhen its up please tell me if i did something dangerous.

Gregg

ntsqd

Reaction
If you run the tubes straight with no displacement btwn the m/c and the frame allowed for, it will fatigue and then snap off the tubes. This usually happens right at the base of the flare, but not always.

If you go with -3 braided hose you still have to allow for movement. If you make them tight you will eventually pull something loose & fail the system. Get a Weatherhead hydraulic hose catalog, it shows how hydraulic lines are supposed to be routed for motion and stress relief.

The loops are already there, just carefully move them to where they're out of the way.

TS

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
Well i redid the brake lines today using braided steel lines heres what it looks like

hopefully it works<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 00s10prerunner on 11/10/02 06:28 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

ntsqd

Reaction
Not to be a nag, but secure those adapter fittings. The forward one in particular. But not to the exhaust manifold. ;) Vibration will kill the hard lines. An easy way to do this is a tab and a hose clamp. If you want to be tricky you can make a bulkhead tab and use the spring clips that the groove in the adapter fitting is there for.

TS

ntsqd

Reaction
Oh yea, looks good other than the above detail.

TS

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
yeah i have those things the guy gave them to me. i just way to busy to do it itoday ill attempt to do it tomarrow. BTW if anyone ever needs hose or anything to do eith braided steel go to crown industrail products in Vista cali. they really know there stuff and from the looks of there shop they do ALOT of stuff for the off road industry also other type of motorsports and the govt.

Gregg