• Forum membership has its advantages....

Brake pad compounds?

osborne

I am running wilwood brakes with 7420 pads. Does anybody have any recommendations on what compounds to use? I am not concerned about longevity (needs to last the race of course). I want some bite. Thank.

07FJRog

Stoptech (qtm) makes better pads for wilwood, i believe Eric Barron (pro4 racer) did some testing with them and they grab way better. My wilwood pads are poor as well, i dont remember the part number though

Fifty

Anyone sort out pads for wilwood calipers? Or pad compound? I looking at a 6617 pad in front for the aero4 and a 1806 for the stock rear caliper.

So far stoptech only has the 308 (street pad) for the 1806. But say there is nothing for the wilwood caliper.

EOR1488

I am running wilwood brakes with 7420 pads. Does anybody have any recommendations on what compounds to use? I am not concerned about longevity (needs to last the race of course). I want some bite. Thank.
Mostpeople run the BP-20 compound. We switched from it to Compound E I believe. It takes a little bit to warm up since the operating temp is higher but def more bight for sure. Toss up though if u dont think you will be in that temp range really no point in doing it.

Quailhunter

Covert Troll.
I have Q in the front, not good ! (Only work when hot) After a talk with wildwood they recommended I try BP-10. I'll report back.

Fifty

Carbotech just recommended a xp10 front and rear for an aero4 caliper on a 12.88 rotor front and stock caliper and rotor rear. 5200 lb truck, 104# 35 inch wheel tire combo.

I’m hesitant that it won’t be in temp. I was thinking of an xp8/ax6 if not ax6 all around.

MTPyle

We just went to a softer pad. We get our brake parts from QTM. We were going thru rotors faster than pads. The pads we had worked great once hot but way too aggressive. Our rotors would only last 600 or so race miles.

Hopefully the new pads stop stop well. I would think rotors should last 2000 miles or so. I would be fine putting new pads in every race.

Fifty

What compound pad did you used to have and what ones are you using now?

Fifty

Debating the carbotech ax6 or xp8 pad. They will make a pad for my rear caliper which has been the tricky part. an 1806 pad shape.

Any reason to go ax6 over the xp8? 4400 empty, 5000 full with 104# 35's, 330/300 hp/tq, 12.88 rotors and aero4 calipers up front and a craptastic vented but thin rotor out back and a single piston caliper