Brake pad not wearing evenly

Robert Mason

Reaction
Was checking out the brakes on the race truck after vegas to reno and noticed that several of the brake pads were not wearing evenly. If this only happened on one of the calipers I would just figure that the piston some how got jammed in the caliper but since it happened on three of the four calipers it has me wondering. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Attachments

Demp

#mikesson
Reaction
Maybe try rebuilding the calipers, A sticky piston(s) could cause unever pad wear. Check the piston seal also, aaannnnnndd check the rotors to make sure they're are true in shape. Even as far as the master cylinder, I've had the seals rot out in mine and get jammed in the lines!

Forty1Racing

Reaction
we better check our truck out too!

racer56

Reaction
Was checking out the brakes on the race truck after vegas to reno and noticed that several of the brake pads were not wearing evenly. If this only happened on one of the calipers I would just figure that the piston some how got jammed in the caliper but since it happened on three of the four calipers it has me wondering. Has anyone else had a problem like this?
That's why almost all brake manufactures offer calipers with differential pistons to alleviate the problem of uneven pad wear. I guarantee you that, calipers with differential pistons will fix the problem.

jeepboy01

Reaction
I didn't know what differntial bore meant so I looked it up and this is what Stop Tech's site said.......

"What are differential bores"?
Differential piston bores are used to control brake pad taper. As incandescent material and debris from the leading edge of the pad is trapped between the pad and rotor, it tends to float the trailing edge of the pad off the rotor. A larger piston at the trailing edge of the pad provides more pressure to compensate for this debris buildup and keep the pad flat against the rotor.

Sounds like racer56 is dead on with the diagnosis and treatment!

Brock_Beeson

Reaction
used to happen on old teams prerunner. had to re configure caliper mounts. they wern't 100% true