Brake pads porterfield R4 vs Raybestos ST-43

Fifty

Reaction
I have essentially 3 choices for my caliper.

1) Stock oem which don’t have any initial bite and fade too quick. Have an over all pine block feeling, and have only gotten worse since moving up in tire size.

2) porterfield R4

3) Raybestos ST-43

As of right now I’m unfamiliar with these two compounds other than the R4 is a favorite amongst vintage racers and the ST-43 is a light car track day pad.

My truck is 5200 loaded essentially, 104# tire/wheel weight (35’s), 330/300 hp/tq (crank) 8 speed, 4.56 gears, and tops out around 90-100 at the moment. Limited by travel and shock control. So lots of heavy braking to slow for wash outs and larger bumps.

Any opinions on those two listed compounds?

Crusty Shellback

Reaction
Look for Powerstop brakes.
I've put their drilled and slotted brake kit on 2 trucks now. '04 Chevy Silverado 1500 with 37" tires and '01 Ford F250 with 33" tires. I did the tow package on the F250.
they work awesome, no fade and are decently priced.

Fifty

Reaction
I ran the power stop tow (z36) pad. It’s the same as their other truck pad, just thicker. Same compound.

It was horrible. It was on a 7.3l superduty, 37’s, that was 4 linked front and rear with 20/28 travel. Truck was heavy, had the 08 front axle and brakes so bigger. D80 rear with the d80 caliper and rotors.
Those pads just never instilled confidence. I even thought maybe I had bedded them wrong and stoned the rotors and tried a rebed.

Switched to a hawk hp (can’t remmeber if it was hp+ or hps) and they were awesome except for the very very worst down hill repetitive braking. Other than that they were awesome...

But they won’t make them for my caliper and even porterfield won’t cut a set for my caliper.

Crusty Shellback

Reaction
Interesting. I've had the Powerstop on the '04 for a couple of years now. I had tried the stock rotors and pads but the brake fade was bad. Got the power stops on and bedded in and they will stop hard enough to throw you thru the windshield. Worked great even when towing a 26 ft Toyhauler loaded with 2 quads.
just put the z36 on the F250 and so far they work great. I'll find out in a couple of weeks how they do with a toyhauler. Oh F250 has the V10.

So rereading your post, you just ran the pads, not their pads and rotors? Wonder if that makes a difference? I have the complete kit, drilled and slotted coated rotors and pads with all the hardware. Still using stock calipers though.

Fifty

Reaction
I ran their slotted rotors, back when they offered a cryo version. (not sure if they still do). Driving around town they were "ok"... not much initial bite. But when running offroad at speed, they were not very good.

Im also used to higher mu competition type pads where you have to balance pad vs tire traction. I wonder if that is my problem. Ive goten so used to aggressive pads. I ued ferodo DS2500 for a street pad.

Bert is my name

Reaction
Check out vanco power brakes. Their website has some interesting info about master cylinder swaps and power assist swaps. Also. Organic pads tend to have more bite. But with more dust and noise. If fade is not the issue. Organic pads and non treated rotors along with greater force applied by larger master cylinder and / or more assist might be what you need. Big brake kits are popular right now. But there are a handful of tricks I would try before committing to something like that. Police package brakes usually have bigger rotors and larger pistons in the calipers. G.m. is funny like that. Cops get the good stuff. We don't. Some of the full size parts bolt on or easily adapt as well. Like I originally said. Talk to the guys at vanco.

Bert is my name

Reaction
Front brakes do 60 to 80 percent of the braking. If the front is closer to 80. I would try to get the rear to help more.

Fifty

Reaction
Lol! The Vanco guys did my brakes for the superduty!
Yea. Sadly, there are no upgrades for the border patrol version of the Colorado. The caliper on the front is nice sized and 4 piston. Looks like a standard nissin/nissan caliper. Not horrible not fantastic. But great for a stock caliper. The rotor is skinny which sucks. Giro discs wants 10 sets ordered at $2400 a set I think to run a two piece which would be nice for their veins and light weight.
Stoptech isn’t interested in a trophy kit, not is R1.

So being stuck with an unusual front caliper and a 1980’s bmw rear pad shape...
the truck has abs which is able to be turned off in Offroad mode which is great.

Unless I drop some money on having a radial mount designed (I am a computer idiot and can’t get the hang of cad) I am stuck with these calipers and pad shapes...
I’ve talked to so many pad manufacturers and porterfield is the only one actionably interested in making something that’s not a grocery getter pad.

I’m fairly certain for my slowing driving style, a proper pad, slotted rotor with good veins and a flush of some new fluid will do me until I do the suspension and get used to the added travel...

Fifty

Reaction
Yea. I am going down the path of a wilwood Aero4 caliper and 12.88 rotor.
Then the next step is a Forged superlite 4 piston and not quite sure on the rotor.

Front piston area will stay the same as stock and depending on how the front goes, will sort the piston size in the rear. But they offer options up and down.

Truck again is 5200# full, 104# wheel tire, 330/300 hp/tq I’d guess.

Now that my pad options are open, anyone have any recommendations?
DTC-30? Something that takes more heat to work?

Fifty

Reaction
The Forged superlite will be out back. Couldn’t edit the post above.

Anyways, pad recommendations would be appreciated.