Break Down of 500 Course Deviation Penalties and Some Pictures of Locations

manchaman

Reverse Engineer
Reaction
I was glancing through the official results and was able to determine most of the course deviation penalties with some simple math and process of elimination. It quickly became obvious 60 minutes is the default penalty. The highest course deviation penalty goes to 400x (class 40) with a whopping 330 penalty minutes. The second most course deviation penalties goes to Herbst in class 1 with 220. The second highest course deviation penalties amongst the motorcycles was 4x (K. Norman) with 180.

The following are all of the various course deviations as denoted on the official results and what the penalties are:

Mile 6 = 60
Mile 175 = 60
San Vicente = 30 for 1/4, 60 for 1/2, 90 for full
Uruapan Cemetery = 60
Mile 375 = 60
Mile 426 = 60

I'm not absolutely confident about the mile 6 and mile 426 penalties (which are the same location) as there was no way to determine them based on the current penalties given. I assume they are 60, but could be 30.

RM 175 - no idea where the actual deviation is, but you can use your imaginaton:

San Vicente - I'm pretty sure this is the course deviation. The designated course is slightly rough terrain with some ups, downs and twists, but nothing too terribly difficult, but surely a hell of a lot slower than blasting through flat farm land. SCORE assessed penalties for "1/4, 1/2 and Full" so it should be pretty obvious what that means based on this picture:

RM 375 - I honestly have no idea where the deviation is here. This section of the course is down in a narrow creek bed with dense vegetation on either side of the course:

If anyone knows the location of the other deviations and has pictures, post away.

Martin

Reaction
When I went through the creek bed area I thought I seen tracks heading to the right and take you on the right side of the creek bed and cut the course where it heads to the right about a mile or so up the road.

manchaman

Reverse Engineer
Reaction
Roger Norman posted a picture of the San Vicente cut, which I replaced above. If I remember correctly, there was just some minor silt on the designated course, so the deviation just went around it... did everyone else a favor that stayed on course by keeping the silt to a minimum :)

Tipracer

Reaction
OMG...will MO never quit...this thread was posted this morning...corrections were made around 9 something and content thief MO ALREADY HAS IT POSTED as his own content at 10 something, complete with watermarks...WHAT An A$$HAT!!!
It is said that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery but really mike WAJ.

manchaman

Reverse Engineer
Reaction
Oh, I know who we're talking about. Not sure where his site is located, but I don't really care. He's a total douche and I doubt his site gets much traffic anyway.

Chainguide

Reaction
Awesome helmet cam video of the San Vicente deviation (@ 2:29 min)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzNSW4AYpbI"]YouTube - Baja 500 Honda pit 6[/ame]

Lt. Dan 1608

Reaction
I liked the one at 4:50 or so better. He went out in the bare desert and made his own trail. That is not a time penalty, that is a DQ.

Chase 2

Reaction
To hear some of the old timers and "experienced" racers around here, a slight deviations like those at 2:29 and 4:50 are due to not being able to tell where the race course is, or confusion as to which is the race course and which is a "line". Yeah right.

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
Did you race through San Vicente this past 500? If so, you would've seen where the course forked and how both lines where burnt in pretty good. This was my first time through there, not having pre-run (I wasn't supposed to run that section), I didn't know which line was the correct one since there was no markers to show correct or wrong. I inadvertently took the cut and I cost our team 60 minutes. There is blatant cheating and course cutting but there are also poorly marked course sections.

ML Racer

Reaction
Did you race through San Vicente this past 500? If so, you would've seen where the course forked and how both lines where burnt in pretty good. This was my first time through there, not having pre-run (I wasn't supposed to run that section), I didn't know which line was the correct one since there was no markers to show correct or wrong. I inadvertently took the cut and I cost our team 60 minutes. There is blatant cheating and course cutting but there are also poorly marked course sections.
Well I pre-ran from Hwy 1 (RM295-ish) to Ojos 3 times and never took that "San Vincente Deviation Route" I guess because either (A) my co-dawg kept me on the PCI GPS card course or (B) if he/we saw that fork, we may have thought it would take us too far off course and stayed to the left or (C) we never saw it (the burned-in right fork). Don't get me wrong, we "used to" always look for better lines;) but not the "RG" lines. All I can say at this point is (1) I never took the "SV Cheater Line" (2) I didn't take the "Dead Zone Cheater Line" above RM375 and (3) I did exceed the speed limit north of Santo Tomas:eek:

Signed:
Non-Deviation Speed Cheater:p

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
Well I pre-ran from Hwy 1 (RM295-ish) to Ojos 3 times and never took that "San Vincente Deviation Route" I guess because either (A) my co-dawg kept me on the PCI GPS card course or (B) if he/we saw that fork, we may have thought it would take us too far off course and stayed to the left or (C) we never saw it (the burned-in right fork). Don't get me wrong, we "used to" always look for better lines;) but not the "RG" lines. All I can say at this point is (1) I never took the "SV Cheater Line" (2) I didn't take the "Dead Zone Cheater Line" above RM375 and (3) I did exceed the speed limit north of Santo Tomas:eek:

Signed:
Non-Deviation Speed Cheater:p
w/o turning this into a pissing match i'll close with the following; if they want us to stay on course, theyre going to have to do a better job at marking the course, perhaps following the steps in mc district-racing markings.

ML Racer

Reaction
w/o turning this into a pissing match i'll close with the following; if they want us to stay on course, theyre going to have to do a better job at marking the course, perhaps following the steps in mc district-racing markings.
Hey Victor, no pissing match intended here, just that I finally comfirmed where this "deviation" section was, and that I didn't take. And that I wasn't sure where the cemetary deviation line was, and I didn't take that either. But since we DNF'd, it doesn't matter, just wanted to know.

Speed Cheater!!

Desert_Tech

Reaction
One question I had was, if the Race Course GPS file from SCORE is missing data points for Race mile 0 through Race mile 35, and from Race mile 395 to the finish at Race Mile 432 - how do you know if you are on or off course during this portion of the race?

Attachments