Bringing Back Racing to Plaster City

First and foremost, I am very much aware of the unfortunate events that took place at one of the races in the Plaster City/Superstition area a decade ago. With that being said, I've always wondered why major racing organizations don't hold races there anymore? I know District 38 holds UTV and Motorcycle races there, but why can't we open that back up to a major sanctioning body? I believe the last one to do so was SCORE/HDRA at the Imperial Valley 250, circa 2014 or 2015. Is the cost of realizing these events in this area too high now? Can MORE test out a race there soon? Will SCORE make an Imperial Valley 1000? Baja racing doesn't seem very promising this year... I know a ton of racers, including myself, that would love to race in Plaster City. It's close to home and we test/play there all the time! Feel free to comment your thoughts down below!

unnamed.jpg

Thanks

dan200

#BSF200
Wasn't a high ranking LEO there also a racer and that was a big help? And that guy retired? I know the last time I was there was for a race it was ran by the short lived HDRA / Roger Norman. Philo and I worked retrieval and at the end of a long day of dragging cars around in the dirt we pulled back into the main pit area and were stopped by some cops. We were missing a license plate light so they did have cause to pull us over. We also had "race officials" magnets on the doors, a whip/flag on the truck along with 2 six inch amber and two red six inch oval LEDs on the back and we were both wearing safety vests. 100% sober (badly dehydrated actually)

It was obvious they were fishing for people driving under the influence and we were let go with a warning but the way the cops treated us really soured me. I don't hate on cops really but those guys were real pricks.

If I recall correctly Roger said a lot of folks had similar incidents to ours and he asked all of us that did to let him know about it as he planned to follow up on it. I believe the consensus was later that we werent really welcome there anymore by someone of importance in the area.

Maybe?

Last edited:

Curtis Guise

Administrator
First and foremost, I am very much aware of the unfortunate events that took place at one of the races in the Plaster City/Superstition area a decade ago. With that being said, I've always wondered why major racing organizations don't hold races there anymore? I know District 38 holds UTV and Motorcycle races there, but why can't we open that back up to a major sanctioning body? I believe the last one to do so was SCORE/HDRA at the Imperial Valley 250, circa 2014 or 2015. Is the cost of realizing these events in this area too high now? Can MORE test out a race there soon? Will SCORE make an Imperial Valley 1000? Baja racing doesn't seem very promising this year... I know a ton of racers, including myself, that would love to race in Plaster City. It's close to home and we test/play there all the time! Feel free to comment your thoughts down below!

View attachment 216014

Thanks
Unfortunate event a decade ago? I think you might have that area mixed up with the MDR race accident that happened at the rock pile at the Lucerne race in 2010.

@ace_photo might be able to expand on why racing isn't happening in Plaster City. I'm pretty sure its because promoters have been unable to make it happen because of high costs from BLM / permits.

green787

Hey, don't everybody freak out, it's just green commenting after watching you guys sort out the various class issues in Lucho's thread.... 🤑
The last time I was "rousted" by the jack booted flack jacketed "park rangers" at Glamis, I never went back....
The last time I was at Plaster city watching a race, I was asked to turn on my lights in the daylight so they could check my license plate light.... I was high on weed so I thanked them and let them angrily go about their business......
Until all of that gets sorted out there is a problem with "tailgaiting" at Plaster City.......
When SCORE raced there last time, I didn't go because of all the complaining about the spectator's conditions.... Watching from the other side of the main road...??? I mean really......
And, yeah.... I never heard of an "incident" at Superstition Mountain or the area...???

Last edited:

Charlietuna

I believe you're talking about the truck into the crowd? That didn't happen at Plaster City, it was in Lucerne Valley. However the affects of that wreck have and still are being felt throughout CA desert areas. I don't know what the procedures are for the races in the high desert anymore, but the El Centro BLM office has a reputation as being very difficult to work with.

Lots more weekend desert-goers now, especially on holiday weekends. No way in hell the BLM allows an organization to shut down tens of thousands of acres of publicly owned land during the cooler months. There would be a riot. Surprisingly enough, a lot of people that go to the desert to ride, don't care about off-road racing. I work a few D38 races a year and the number of campers/riders that basically tell us to go pound sand when we let them know they're on or close to an active race course is pretty high.

The SCORE races were a clusterfu&* from a spectator standpoint...100 degree heat, crammed into a couple of designated "viewing zones" with a heavy (and pissed off) LEO presence. Lot of IV locals didn't really care for the way it was rammed down their collective throats.

Charlietuna

Wasn't a high ranking LEO there also a racer and that was a big help? And that guy retired? I know the last time I was there was for a race it was ran by the short lived HDRA / Roger Norman. Philo and I worked retrieval and at the end of a long day of dragging cars around in the dirt we pulled back into the main pit area and were stopped by some cops. We were missing a license plate light so they did have cause to pull us over. We also had "race officials" magnets on the doors, a whip/flag on the truck along with 2 six inch amber and two red six inch oval LEDs on the back and were wearing safety vests.

It was obvious they were fishing for people driving under the influence and we were let go with a warning but the way the cops treated us really soured me. I don't hate on cops really but those guys were real pricks.

If I recall correctly Roger said a lot of folks had similar incidents to ours and he asked all of us that did to let him know about it as he planned to follow up on it. I believe the consensus was later that we werent really welcome there anymore by someone of importance in the area.

Maybe?

Former El Centro Chief of Police had a Class 5U car.

But to other points in your post, yeah, a lot of Valley people didn't appreciate having SCORE/Coyne coming in and waving their dicks around.

Borracho Cantina

Yes. The BLM rangers in this area are really tough. We’ve been going to Plaster City & Superstition area for 30 years, & been harassed many times.. I heard it’s really hard to get a permit to hold a race there as well.
We have gone to KOH 7 years in a row, & never been harassed once there. And there are hundreds of cops at KOH, everywhere. One time, We had tequila shots lined up across the tailgate, watching the race. Ranger waved at us & laughed. Of course we had a designated driver.

jon coleman

mdr had all the blm permits to race PC, i think they kinda went the way of mdr, & for a new promoter to come in & apply for permits is boooo coooo bucks,,, i bet

ace_photo

GET SOME
Unfortunate event a decade ago? I think you might have that area mixed up with the MDR race accident that happened at the rock pile at the Lucerne race in 2010.

@ace_photo might be able to expand on why racing isn't happening in Plaster City. I'm pretty sure its because promoters have been unable to make it happen because of high costs from BLM / permits.
Short answer - The BLM doesn't want it and anything that draws lots of attention like SCORE would have to pay big bucks and have rangers giving out tickets that have nothing to do with the race. SCORE was hit with a massive "cost recovery" bill after the last IV250. There were long term plans for races before that happened.

Not sure what it would take to bring it back for a small promoter. I've been fishing around to find out but no one wants to touch it. Somehow D38 has managed to run a few races, thats primarily bikes but has a growing UTV class so there IS hope.

I do know events on big weekends are off limits so anything like the Dash will never happen again.

As for people not appreciating SCORE and Coyne coming in to do a race, thats just typical Imperial Valley haterade. Sorry to say but it is the truth. I grew up in IV and live here so I can say that with a straight face.

There was some talk of the county taking control of the OHV area but that would take years of governmental red tape. If it did happen then racing in PC/Superstition would be back to stay.

Ranch Hand

I believe that Fud had the right idea. Educate the City Officials and local business owners in El Centro/Brawley of the benefits of hosting a race at Plaster City. hotels/motels, restaurants, grocery stores, liquor stores, auto parts stores, etc. and let them exert some pressure on BLM to make issuing permits easier. Also, having the cities on your side as far as enforcing petty vehicle violations. Fud spent an untold amount of time going to City Council meetings and other Civic function so that he was a KNOWN person in Imperial Valley and the residents/business owners/ City Officials TRUSTED him. Remember when contingency was held at the Imperial Valley Fairgrounds ??? That didn't just happen, FUD made it happen through cooperation with ALL of El Centro/Brawley residents. Unfortunately with the current Covid-19 outbreak in Imperial Valley, organized racing at Plaster City isn't possible anytime in the near future.

Wendell #527

The DRIVE races Dave Wasser put on were fun. I wish that would have stuck around.

The whole valley has grown in population andit has become politically oppressive.

The old Tierra del Sol runs were great too but they morphed into something different. The TDS runs we did in the 1980s were completely epic

jon coleman

in todays hyper sensitive pc correct climate, we need to work Hard just to keep PC open!!, we off roaders need to be better, do it' cleaner', educate wayward hooligans& yes, clean up after them & keep the desert cleaner then we found it, at least us older types can still go out there and ride around to all the spots and re live the glory days,( I avoid gypsum road my self)ps; i nominate Dave Cole to be the guy to promote the next superstition series, piece o' cake😍

Last edited:

ace_photo

GET SOME
I believe that Fud had the right idea. Educate the City Officials and local business owners in El Centro/Brawley of the benefits of hosting a race at Plaster City. hotels/motels, restaurants, grocery stores, liquor stores, auto parts stores, etc. and let them exert some pressure on BLM to make issuing permits easier. Also, having the cities on your side as far as enforcing petty vehicle violations. Fud spent an untold amount of time going to City Council meetings and other Civic function so that he was a KNOWN person in Imperial Valley and the residents/business owners/ City Officials TRUSTED him. Remember when contingency was held at the Imperial Valley Fairgrounds ??? That didn't just happen, FUD made it happen through cooperation with ALL of El Centro/Brawley residents. Unfortunately with the current Covid-19 outbreak in Imperial Valley, organized racing at Plaster City isn't possible anytime in the near future.
I was on the committee to bring the SCORE races to IV. We did all those things A La Fud like you're suggesting. Lots of community involvement, local LEO agencies all pitched in so we didnt have the BLM up out butts. It was great.
Then the BLM took that away, didn't want local LEO's and that how we ended up with a giant cost recovery bill after the race. Bottom line is the BLM doesn't want it here and will make the cost unbearable. The people here do want it, we just have to fight.

Last edited:

ace_photo

GET SOME
in todays hyper sensitive pc correct climate, we need to work Hard just to keep PC open!!, we off roaders need to be better, do it' cleaner', educate wayward hooligans& yes, clean up after them & keep the desert cleaner then we found it, at least us older types can still go out there and ride around to all the spots and re live the glory days,( I avoid gypsum road my self)ps; i nominate Dave Cole to be the guy to promote the next superstition series, piece o' cake😍
There is hope, my wife is on city council here in Imperial and everyone else on the council is very offroad friendly. One is James Tucker who was a long time 1600 racer. I can't speak for the surrounding cities but offroad has deep roots here. Only thing is with this covid this valley is going to be hurting for awhile.

And Gypsum Rd is what separates the men from the boys. IMO. Lol.

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Doug with Drive was awesome and I have a lot of great memories racing there. His type of passion is what its going to take to get racing back there.

It's a shame that the federal officials who work for the public won't work with the public. I do hope that one day we will race in PC again.

paranoid56

Yea, D38 does a doz or so races a year there, I have done a bunch last year, and this year till all the **** happened. Kinda wished i didnt buy a bug and buy a UTV so i could race in PC lol, nice and close to home.
Short answer - The BLM doesn't want it and anything that draws lots of attention like SCORE would have to pay big bucks and have rangers giving out tickets that have nothing to do with the race. SCORE was hit with a massive "cost recovery" bill after the last IV250. There were long term plans for races before that happened.

Not sure what it would take to bring it back for a small promoter. I've been fishing around to find out but no one wants to touch it. Somehow D38 has managed to run a few races, thats primarily bikes but has a growing UTV class so there IS hope.

I do know events on big weekends are off limits so anything like the Dash will never happen again.

As for people not appreciating SCORE and Coyne coming in to do a race, thats just typical Imperial Valley haterade. Sorry to say but it is the truth. I grew up in IV and live here so I can say that with a straight face.

There was some talk of the county taking control of the OHV area but that would take years of governmental red tape. If it did happen then racing in PC/Superstition would be back to stay.

Ranch Hand

I was on the committee to bring the SCORE races to IV. We did all those things A La Fud like you're suggesting. Lots of community involvement, local LEO agencies all pitched in so we didnt have the BLM up out butts. It was great.
Then the BLM took that away, didn't want local LEO's and that how we ended up with a giant cost recovery bill after the race. Bottom line is the BLM doesn't want it here and will make the cost unbearable. The people here do want it, we just have to fight.
I wasn't implying that yourself or SCORE didn't do your due diligence and not follow a proven formula to promote racing in the Imperial Valley. I think we'd all agree that Fud was a unique individual that found a niche in the Valley. Fud races always reminded me of a "club" race that was run professionally. Fud always was for the smaller base teams that wanted to run the big time races, but just simply couldn't afford the entry fees, chase teams, pre-run time, etc. etc. that is required to be successful in SCORE & BITD racing. Fud wanted 60 - 100 cars mainly from San Diego area and Imperial Valley. And Fud's era happened in a simpler, less regulated time period. I have fond memories of first spectating at Ocotillo Wells, the Borrego Rough series, and then later racing at Fud's Superstition Series. It would be great to have racing at Plaster City again.