Bringing gas across the border

AXIS#955

Reaction
I was wondering what everybody does when they need to bring gas down with them across the border and if they will give you any trouble.

SMIGEL

Reaction
dont bring any more than 5 gallons....if you do be prepared to pay a "TAX"

loufish

Reaction
I've brought two 5 gal cans filled across several times, no questions or issues, BUT have read that not supposed to...

ASHCRAFT

Sticky Balls
Reaction
I have brought multiple 55 gallon drums down in the bed of my truck. I have never had any issues. I think it is luck of the draw. If your worried lay it down and cover with tires or tarps whatever it takes. Just be prepared for Taxation. Good luck!

Matt Stevens

Reaction
I took a 55 gallon drum down to the 40th baja 1000 and the border cops harased us about them so my brother sliped them 30 bucks and we were on our way. then we got stoped by a she cop near the boarder on the way back up and she wanted 50 bucks for seat belt violation and I told her mexico doesn't have a seat belt law and bartered my way down to 20 so just do your thing and keep some 20's with you.

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
Mexico DOES have a seat belt law and it is illegal to talk on your cell phone while driving in Baja.......

Most of the speed limits are well below 50 mph hour too so don't freak out when you get pulled over for speeding........

Worse case scenario: They can if they like impound the vehicle that is transporting the fuel and you might have a really really hard time ever getting it back........

Normally if you have a mounted fuel transfer tank they don't bother with you. Look on craigslist for a used one. A 60 gallon tank is pretty easy to find.........Be very nice and respectful if you get popped for smuggling gas.....

FIGGY

Reaction
Hey guys jus cause your in mexico that doesnt mean anything goes and theres no laws cause they will get you for any little thing, then youll have to pay the crooked cop. So just be smart and if your gonna be a taking risk and doing things that you really dont think are right and think youll get away with you better be ready to fork out some money. Im telling you guys i live in a border city and i know how stuff rolls down there.

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction
Giving cops $$ in mex is like tiping @ resturants,Its standard procedure baby!

JK!

steve0we

Reaction
I thought the post was "bringing GRASS" across the border, I started reading about 55 gallon drums and was going to get my popcorn and a notepad....

fuel, just be casual and go with the flow.

Dirt Junkie

Reaction
Also as a friendly reminder don't forget to carry the original registration or title for all your toys. I would hate for someone to come all the way down from L.A. and be sent back for lack of documentation. A couple of friends were turned back just last Saturday for only having a copy of their bike's registration with them.

D4D

Reaction
Coming back from the 1000 last year we were stopped coming back across the border (Mexicali crossing) to the States. We have 2 five gallon cans in the back of the truck, both were bought in the States before we went down, had the reciept and everything but for some reason they still made us pull into the security check area. They left us there for a while, ran all our paperwork and then came back to us and told us to never bring fuel back into the States.
Really not a big deal other then I was sick (Damn Mexcio tacos) and was ready to explode, sitting there for an hour almost did me in as they would not let us out of the truck.

Demp

#mikesson
Reaction
Coming back from the 1000 last year we were stopped coming back across the border (Mexicali crossing) to the States. We have 2 five gallon cans in the back of the truck, both were bought in the States before we went down, had the reciept and everything but for some reason they still made us pull into the security check area. They left us there for a while, ran all our paperwork and then came back to us and told us to never bring fuel back into the States.
Really not a big deal other then I was sick (Damn Mexcio tacos) and was ready to explode, sitting there for an hour almost did me in as they would not let us out of the truck.

:eek::eek::eek:

Had that feeling... but that was caused by that popular tequila with the deer on it :D:D

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
Can you imagine what would happen if got caught trying to sneak something back into the US......

I think the Mexican border guys are pretty cool with us......

Heck just forget you ID and see how much the US guys freak out. The bottom line is that when you sneak gas across the border you are smuggling and it could be a HUGE problemo if the officer wants it to be...........

Elk Hunter

Reaction
Gas and tires not on rims can be a problem. I have quit trying to bring gas down its not worth it.

BajaboundMoto

Reaction
we were stopped coming back across the border to the States. We have 2 five gallon cans in the back of the truck,........ and told us to never bring fuel back into the States.
Odd.
Last year when gas/diesel was super expensive in the States I was regularly (almost weekly) bringing back gas and/or diesel. About 30g per cross in moto-style 5g jugs.
They knew it was there, plain sight. They'd tap on 'em to see if full. Never a word about it.
Eventually I asked how much was OK to bring back and was told 100g (with the added advice about the CHP likely not being happy to see me with 100g in 5's in the bed).

FIGGY

Reaction
yeah when gas was hi in the states everyone was going to mexico and filling up with mostly diesel, at least the peeps close to the borders and i know people would put bigger tanks in ther trucks so they can fill up. BUT back when gass was 1.50-1.65 along time ago people from mexico were fueling up in the states and when mexico found that out they said your not suppose to cross jugs of fuels back. and well since then its been like this. you pretty much aint alowed to cross either way. kind of dumb. IMO

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
California allows you to transport up to 1000 lbs of gas.......About 80 gallons........After that you need all kinds of permits and stuff..........

This is my understanding as told to me while I pulling away from a certain fuel supplier with an open trailer containing 12 full 55 gallon drums.........Apparently that adds up to WAY over 80 gallons........Who knew????

My stupidity is limited only by my ignorance........

Baja Fool

Reaction
I brought down gas in 5 gallon jugs with no problem....dump cans have led to some questions...but after whispering the two words the Mex guards like to hear, "Hay viente", here's twenty, all was good.:rolleyes:

I did bring back a 55 gallon drum of race fuel from the pit once and the U.S. border guys pulled me out and searched everything. I got to bring it in but they weren't too happy about it.

So there you go....